Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Digital Rebel - Manual versus Auto settings
Old 01-20-2005, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40776
Comments: 0

Earl_B is offline IP: 70.240.191.40

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

All,

Hope someone can help explain something for me. I have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel that I got for Christmas and a 550 EX speedlite that I got two weeks ago. I have been taking a lot of pictures in the last month playing with all the settings trying to come up to speed on P vs Tv vs Av vs M and the effects of changing the ISO speed, the shutter speed, over exposure, under exposure, etc. Over the last two days, I have been playing with the Manual setting and am confused by something.

If I setup a shot such that I zoom where I want to, have the speedlite on and take the picture in full auto mode, the camera sets the shutter speed to 1/60, the f.stop to 5.0 and the ISO to 200. The picture looks good, so I start with these metering values in Tv and Av mode and get pretty close to the same look in the picture with no under/over exposure. However ... If I put these same settings in manual mode, the exposure icon blinks on -2 which (in the user manual) indicates that the difference between the standard exposure exceeds -2. If I take the picture anyway, it looks good on the LCD and resembles the same picture I get in the other modes with the same settings. If I play with the shutter speed and/or the apature so the exposure icon stops blinking and moves closer to 0, the shutter speed has to slow down to 1/4 or larger and the picture looks very dark and not exposed very well.

Why is that? Why do those settings work reasonably well in the other modes with the exposure compensation set to 0 but don't indicate proper exposure in manual mode? Am I missing some concept here? If so, please explain.

Thanks in advance!

Earl
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Earl_B Find More Posts by Earl_B

Re: Digital Rebel - Manual versus Auto settings
Old 01-20-2005, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.122.68

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Earl

I'm not a digi Rebel owner -- but I was helping out a guy (in Houston) that has one. I was looking through the manual and was surprised to find that some of the modes don't support some settings. I think that's what you're finding. I don't have the manual in front of me, but it was pretty clear that the flash did things for you in P that didn't happen in Av or Tv. I found it interesting that it happened that way -- one of those things where the manufacturer "supposes" that the user will do things a certain way. That's the problem with auto settings on cameras (and flashes) -- you now have to understand how the designer thought you should be using the product.

Check out the manual or look up the camera forum on dpreview.com.

Bob
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 01-20-2005, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Bob,

Thanks. I will check it out.

Earl

Old 01-20-2005, 05:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39173
Send a message via Yahoo to LarryAB

LarryAB is offline IP: 68.52.144.79

I use a D60, but rarely with a flash attached. I think what's happening is the camera is telling you that the shot will be horribly underexposed, but is not taking into accout that you have the flash unit attached. So because the flash fires, the pic looks OK. Without the flash at those settings you'd end up with a very dark picture.

Just my guess. Not sure why it would do this, but I believe that's what's happening.

Good luck. Don't forget to show us what you come up with!
lb
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryAB Visit LarryAB's homepage! Find More Posts by LarryAB

Old 01-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38893

James_Sample is offline IP: 12.203.211.5

I had a Rebel and LarryAB is exactly correct. You can even change your settings in manual mode and up to the limits of the flash your photos will still look correct. Try the same set-up as before but change to manual mode and make your shutter speed 1/125 and aperature f8. Your photo should look similar.

James
  View Public Profile Send a private message to James_Sample Visit James_Sample's homepage! Find More Posts by James_Sample

Old 01-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks guys! I will try those settings and continue to play with it. As far as posting pictures go .... I have never tried and don't think I have anything worth posting. I have taken some shots of my wife, but odds are she would kill me (or dovirce me) if I ever posted them to the internet. I think they came out good, BUT she hates when I show them to her friends. Oh well ... so much to learn .... and the more I learn ... the more there is to learn. Welcome to the world of phtography. (Yikes!)

Earl

Old 01-20-2005, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 24.4.80.198

[ QUOTE ]
However ... If I put these same settings in manual mode, the exposure icon blinks on -2 which (in the user manual) indicates that the difference between the standard exposure exceeds -2. If I take the picture anyway, it looks good on the LCD and resembles the same picture I get in the other modes with the same settings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the E-TTL EX Speedlite Flash sets the exposure automatically in Manual, so disregard the exposure icon blinking,(as you have already done).
Also read page 83 in your manual about Flash Exposure.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh well ... so much to learn .... and the more I learn ... the more there is to learn. Welcome to the world of phtography. (Yikes!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the club! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I have taken some shots of my wife, but odds are she would kill me (or dovirce me) if I ever posted them to the internet. I think they came out good, BUT she hates when I show them to her friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to post them so we can reassure her. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

RonC
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC

Old 01-20-2005, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41098

2112 is offline IP: 67.49.248.142

Thats exactly what my PowerShot A75 does. When I try to duplicate the same setting in manual mode, it flashes that -2 and it doesnt look too good. Screw it, I just use the preset modes because they work better anyways. Why sit there and screw with manual settings for an indoors shot when all you have to do is set it to "scene" mode and select indoors? Also, fooling around with manual controls when working outdoors with a model sucks. There is nothing they hate more than waiting for you to get your settings right while they sit there and freeze and have to wait 5 minutes between every shot.

View Public Profile Send a private message to 2112 Visit 2112's homepage! Find More Posts by 2112

Old 01-20-2005, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Ron,

Thanks for the insights! I just read page 83 in the manual. I have not played with * FE Lock (flash exposure), but will do so now. It is yet another thing I need to read, try, and understand ... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

------

When shooting for real (like at my parents 50th anniversary last weekend), I do use all the auto type settings since I don't have time to sit and figure out the settings while I go. Since we were indoors, I left it on P and only used the exposure compensation as needed.

I am playing with manual mode now (when not pressed for time), so I can try all the things I have read about and try to better understand what the various changes will do to a picture. It's just a weird quirk of my personality. I like to understand how things work whether I actually use them or not. Go figure ....

Thanks!

Earl

Old 01-20-2005, 10:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40641

DanNV is offline IP: 24.176.177.237

Manual mode is where you get control of things like depth of field. You'll never get what you want if you let the camera do all the thinking...

Practice and you'll get to where manual settings are fast. I have a 20d and shoot entirely in manual mode. Of course, I learned on an all manual camera...

Dan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DanNV Find More Posts by DanNV