Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Color management between monitors and to Web issues
Old 01-16-2005, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39698
Comments: 0

Lmorales is offline IP: 69.248.84.68

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

All,

I have a 19 inch monitor (3.5yrs old) and a IBM T40 notebook (LCD Monitor)(pretty new). Both are color managed with the GretaMacBeth EyeOne. I can see a marked difference in clarity and resolution between the notebook screen and the monitor. The notebook being much crisper.

I wind up doing alot of my editing on the notebook since I'm never at my home desk. I use a calibration photo of gray scales to position my Notebook monitor consistantly in the same place.

My problem is that photos I put on the web don't look the same on both monitors. Not just the sharpness but the colors are off sometimes slightly sometimes more.

For example, the photo below on my notebook looks just right to me. On my 19" monitor it is to yellow. Tell me how this photo looks on your monitor?

Am I doing something wrong or is this desktop Monitor just too old now that its 3.5 yrs old.

If too old what monitors do you recomend?

Thanks,

Luis

View Public Profile Send a private message to Lmorales Visit Lmorales's homepage! Find More Posts by Lmorales

Re: Color management between monitors and to Web issues
Old 01-16-2005, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35979
Send a message via Yahoo to PhotosByMorganII

PhotosByMorganII is offline IP: 68.113.198.108

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am not sure what you might mean by too yellow since I cannot view your screen. The picture looks golden on my screen that I have calibrated so that my pics from the lab will look just right. Not everyone will see the photo exactly the same way due to the fact that everyones monitor is not calibrated the same. When you print your pictures, do they match more closely with your laptop lcd or your monitor?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotosByMorganII Visit PhotosByMorganII's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosByMorganII

Old 01-16-2005, 05:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 65.195.96.55

The image does seem kind of warm on my calibrated monitor also. My situation is alot like yours as I use my laptop for alot of editing too. Seems I have alot more free time when I'm away from home. The main test for me though is to bring the finished images back into my home system and see how they look there. So far mine are matching pretty closely. Sometimes just putting images on the web can change there appearance. Depends alot on the final output type. The web is set up for srgb. If your uploading your images as rgb then you can get a color shift.
Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 01-16-2005, 06:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36366
Send a message via Yahoo to sharfman

sharfman is offline IP: 66.210.170.241

Part of the issue is the technological differences between an LCD and a CRT. The newer LCDs are often as sharp as a CRT (even sharper than some older ones as in your case) but the older models of either type are not as precise in their color representation. Also, just to be sure, confirm that the resolution and the color quality (range) are set the same on both computers.

Hope this helps.

regards

mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to sharfman Find More Posts by sharfman

Old 01-17-2005, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Hi Mark,

I was afraid it would look to warm ie more yellow, golden then I wanted. That's what I was seeing on my old monitor. I know what you mean. Never any time at home for editing, unless it is late at night.

I did what I believe is the right conversion. But there is one question.

My viewing profile is set to CMYK by default. (Anyone know how to change this default setting?)

When done editing I change to the Monitor profile (I use my calibrated profile for this) so I can see what it would appear normally on my monitor. Maybe I shouldn't do this.

Then I to a convert to SRGB and adjust the hue/sat to bring back some of the warmth as it appears flat after the converstion. I then do a save for web. In the save for web I resize and then save the final web version

At least on this photo it appears to warm on some monitors including my older color balanced monitor.

I made another adjustment to hue/sat to see if I could make it better. Tell me which you prefer.

Original posted:

Here is the adjusted photo (hue/sat only)

Which is better to you and everyone else?

Thanks,

Luis
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Lmorales Visit Lmorales's homepage! Find More Posts by Lmorales

Old 01-17-2005, 01:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40641

DanNV is offline IP: 24.176.177.237

The second isn't as yellow.

As to your file conversions, your monitor profile is so your monitor will display truer color. You don't want to convert your files to that profile. Work with teh file in Adobe RGB then convert to sRGB just before saving for web. You should get better color that way. You change your Photoshop color settings in the photoshop preferences. I can't look it up at the moment, but could find it later if necessary.

Dan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DanNV Find More Posts by DanNV

Old 01-17-2005, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Hi Dan,

Does the second look right though?

I may have mistated. I am working in Adobe RGB. I do do a convert to SRGB before saving for web. I'm use the monitor profile from the "view - Proof" menu so I can see what it would appear on a monitor. I'm not converting or working with a monitor profile, only proofing.

I know where to change the working color space. I don't know where to change the default "view - Proofing" space which seems to default to CMYK.

Sorry for the confusion.

Luis

Luis

Old 01-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40641

DanNV is offline IP: 24.176.177.237

Ah. Gotcha. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I don't try proofing, so I haven't played with that one.

I like the second version much better on my monitor. Unfortunatley, it too is old, so it doesn't always hold it's calibration the way I'd like...

Dan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DanNV Find More Posts by DanNV

Old 01-17-2005, 07:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 65.195.96.55

The second one is not as warm but not by much.
Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper