Photo Tips Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Velvia Vision question ...
Old 01-05-2005, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I recently bought the Canon 20D CSPro Plugin from the Fred Miranda site and found it to work very well with excellent results. Now I am considering his plugin called Velvia Vision. Has anyone worked with this and would be able to share some information about your results, particularly with glamour shots?

Here is a sample of before and after shots using the CS Pro Plugin.

The before shot.

The after shot (although I may have been too agressive. I also used the NIK brilliance filter on this before the CS Pro)

I would welcome all comments.

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: Velvia Vision question ...
Old 01-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35428
Comments: 0

Wade is offline IP: 64.12.116.202

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I really like the warmer version. I don't think you were too agressive with it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Wade Visit Wade's homepage! Find More Posts by Wade

Old 01-05-2005, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35776

PTROTTER is offline IP: 68.88.26.188

not nearly too agressive - looks very good
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PTROTTER Visit PTROTTER's homepage! Find More Posts by PTROTTER

Old 01-05-2005, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38485

photoTexas is offline IP: 66.76.233.130

here is a link for that nik filter he used for free
nik
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoTexas Find More Posts by photoTexas

So now I have a question.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.159.206.108

I think the bottom shot looks great, but can you tell me why you couldn't just do this in PS alone? What did the plugin do that you couldn't (I tried it myself, it almost 30 seconds playing with curves to duplicate your "after" version). I'm not playing with you, I'm really curious I see these plug-ins and wonder.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

A possible answer ...
Old 01-05-2005, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Essentially I agree with you. It just takes a few seconds to tweak a photo and improve it quite dramatically, as in this example. I think the CS PRO sharpening tool does give a better sharpening effect than one can get with PS CS alone (assuming you don't go through 8 or 10 steps and spend several minutes). The NIK brilliance filter (NIK Color eFex Pro V2) does have the advantage of automatically setting up a layer, quick mask and puts you automatically in the mode to selectively paint in the effect you want where you want it. And the time for this is generally only a few seconds. Without the filter, I often just do a curves adjustment layer and then paint using the quick mask it gives you.
Here is an example of the CSPro filter in comparison to an image before sharpening, and a PS CS unsharp Mask, and the CSPro filter.

What do you think? By the way, I would normally only sharpen the eyes on a photo like this and do a bit of softening of the skin. These digital cameras really show everything, don't they?

And, finally, thanks for your comments.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: A possible answer ...
Old 01-06-2005, 12:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.218.59.52

I think the CS Pro does look best, but I don't think it would take too long to work it in regular PS/CS alone, without the quick mask or multiple moves. Does CS Pro have adjustment latitude, or is it take what you get?

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: A possible answer ...
Old 01-06-2005, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

It looks like the CSPro plugin fires a recorded action. It then goes through a whole bunch of steps that you can see on screen. I would estimate it does about 5 or 6 different passes on the photo. One sees many layers appearing in the Layers pallet and then they all go away but one by the end of the process. The process happens so fast, that I'm not sure what all is being done. Some sort of a selection seems to happen automatically at first (much like a highlights selection). Then part of the time the image goes to b/w and it looks like different channels are being accessed. There is something in the interface called a levels and sharpening tweak, that if turned on, stops the action at two points, one with the levels dialog and the other with the unsharp mask dialog, which allows extra tweaks. I don't see how it could be done manually in anything less than several minutes from the amount of activity that appears to go on.

If you go to the Fred Miranda site the first item is the CSPro plugin. Then click on PC or Mac Version link, then the samples and details link and you'll see the complete interface and a discussion of its use. I find that the whole thing works very well for me and seems to give me a lot of control.
Hope this answers the question.
Cheers,
rfs

Old 01-07-2005, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35402

Gunfitr is offline IP: 67.141.69.13

I haven't used the specific filter in question, but have several Nik filters that I use quite often.

For those who ask why you would use a plug in versus just doing it manually is the savings in time and consistency.

In some cases I could get the exact same result with a manual tweak, so the only saving is time.

On the other hand, I have blur filter "Nik's Classical Blur" that I have had a hard time trying to replicate manually. Obviously, if it is a plugin, it is just firing off parameters that you could set manually if you only new how.

Some of the filters I use go through ten or twelve steps. Take 20 photos and multiply that by 10 steps and then compare that to simply a single mouse click and the time savings becomes enormous.

Better yet, you can set up an action to fire the plugin and batch a whole series.

Ultimately, the plugins I use most are those that give me a result I cannot obtain manually or that provide a time saving.

I have a bunch of plugins and filters that I never use because I can get better results manually or they offer not "adjustment" and are take it or leave it and offer no control.

But once in a while you stumble across one that is a real keeper.

Some of the specific sharpening filters (as already mentioned) are a good example.

Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunfitr Find More Posts by Gunfitr

NIK classical blur
Old 01-07-2005, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, I have blur filter "Nik's Classical Blur" that I have had a hard time trying to replicate manually. Obviously, if it is a plugin, it is just firing off parameters that you could set manually if you only new how.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I like that one also. But I use the NIK Color eFex Pro 2.0 and they have renamed it to Classcial Soft Focus and added several additional controls. You can now really do some wonderful things with it that would otherwise take many steps in Photoshop.

Here is an example of the classical soft focus:

Cheers,
rfs