Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Photoshop question - yet another batch job question
Old 12-23-2004, 12:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have 300 pictures in a folder. Some are oriented in the portrait format, others in landscape. I want to do a batch job making them all no longer than 600 pixels on the long side but don't know if I can do that without first separating all of the pictures into two folders; one for portrait orientation, one for landscape. Do I, in fact, have to separate them by orientation before running a script to resize them? It's not a huge pain but it sure would be nice if I didn't have to separate them first. It would speed up my editing times.

Thanks for your thoughts and I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and a joyful, prosperous new year. It's always been said that it's more blessed to give than to receive and so in the interests of not robbing anyone of their blessings during this season, I will allow you all to send me gifts. I'm willing to bear the burden of being the recipient of all manner of photographic equipment and accessories (I use Nikon by the way) so that you can all receive your blessing.

Please be safe and don't drink and drive. I want to see EVERYONE return next year to continue making this the best community to be found!

Good day!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Re: Photoshop question - yet another batch job question
Old 12-23-2004, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 24.251.43.224

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Are you using a Macintosh or a PC. If you are using a Macintosh then I can send you an Applescript I wrote that will resize all the images no matter if they are horizontal or vertical.

You might also consider using Dr. Brown's Image Processor from http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

It does a great job of batch processing images and works on both the Mac an PC.

Old 12-23-2004, 04:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.161.216.21

create action:
1. Open image
2. File>automate fit image
3. Write desired output (600 pixels) in both fields. This will fit the image using the long dimension as the limiter retaining the proprtions and orientation. I've never used this on anything except Jpegs that I wanted to fit to a smaller size so I'm not sure how it would work otherwise.
4. Click ok
5. Close file
Stop recording.
Remove either the original file you used to create the action or the file it created as this might caused the batch action to choke before you even get started.
4. Go to File>automate>batch
If play dialog does not show the action you just created then select it.
source: Folder
Choose: select the folder with all your files.
Check: override Action “Open� Commands.
Destination: Folder
Choose: the destination folder
Check override action “save as� Commands
If you want to rename the files you get to figure out that by your self.
click OK
Go get favorite bev and sit back and watch the fun.

I always include opening the file and closing the file in the action even though it is not necessary since you can override these functions in the batch dialog. I do this so that the action can be used as a one time thing. Even make it an F key if you so desire.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Old 12-24-2004, 03:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 4.27.8.210

Mike - Are you using Photoshop now? I thought you were using the Gimp? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

All you have to do is run the Web Photo Gallery batch...It will size images by Long Side, no matter what side that may be...

Of course, that strips a lot of data out of the image files, but I'm assuming that this is the final step in your process...

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 12-24-2004, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Hi Jon,

Well, the Reader's Digest version of why I went back to Photoshop is that it is just plain better and faster. Also, all of the software for the labs I use are Windows based and so I had to switch back my machine to Windows. Actually, I take that back. I have six computers in my house, three of which are for my business, but the most powerful one with the zillion-dollar graphics board and the 1.21 Gigawatt, ludicrous speed, processor had Linux on it. I changed it back to Windoze 2000 Pro last night. In the mean time, I've been running PS on my other machine but it is only equipped with on-board video on the motherboard and it's deathly slow and inept at dealing with Photoshop; hence the changeover.

I'll give your suggestion a shot and see how it works for me. I'm using PS7 but want to upgrade to CS as soon as I can. No money though. I wish I was born rich instead of so darn good-looking. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Have a safe and enjoyable Christmas and a joyful, prosperous new year!!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr