Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Flash grip adapter
Old 12-18-2004, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38485
Comments: 0

photoTexas is offline IP: 63.188.193.225

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

OK, I have to shoot a wedding very soon. Do I need one of those flash extender brackets? If so what do you recomend... And do any of you use that little mini softbox for your flash?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoTexas Find More Posts by photoTexas

Re: Flash grip adapter
Old 12-18-2004, 11:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36639
Send a message via Skype™ to BarryTreleaven

BarryTreleaven is offline IP: 202.6.138.42

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I use a hammerhead flash very simple and no redeye a diffuser would be able to
be used if so desired. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BarryTreleaven Visit BarryTreleaven's homepage! Find More Posts by BarryTreleaven

Old 12-18-2004, 11:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40169

PremierPhoto is offline IP: 68.95.0.206

You don't "need" a flash bracket, but it helps sometimes. Biggest advantage that I see with it is that you can keep the flash positioned above the camera whether shooting vertical or horizontal. If you have the flash mounted on the camera and you shoot vertical, you may cast a shadow on a wall or nearby object/person. If possible, I would say go for the flash bracket. I can't recall the one I use, but it's about $50 and fits 35mm/most digitals. As for red-eye, I've been lucky enough(knocking on wood) to never have problems whether the flash is mounted on or off camera.

Mini Softbox...I LOVE THESE! I borrowed one from a friend to shoot a party one time...Next day, I bought 2 of them.(I usually use 2 cams for parties/weddings) The ones I have are the LumiQuest Mini Softbox. I use them on a vivitar for most of my outdoor shoots(as a fill) and always use it for indoor locations where studio strobes are not an option. They're only like $15-20. A very wise investment even if you only shoot one wedding. If you'd like, I can email you before/after pics showing the difference that the softbox makes.
Good luck w/ the wedding.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PremierPhoto Visit PremierPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by PremierPhoto

Old 12-19-2004, 05:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 65.96.216.100

:-) Hi Texas,

Some years ago I was an avid fan of the minolta 9000 with motor drive/battery pack and its HUGE yet OH SO BEAUTIFULLY working pro flash the 4000AF auto zoom .

Shooting any extended event with this camera setup(anything over 30 min I consider extended when unable to tripod mount this camera, motor drive/battery pack and flash), with the flash mounted atop the camera, became annoying because it got tough to hold the camera and flash steady because of the weight and size with all things attached. A flash bracket was something I HAD TO HAVE for this reason. It made it alot easier to hold and shoot.

Now, adding a flash bracket to your intended wedding equipment will do a few things
One Adds some weight to your equipment, TWO, adds to your cost of the overall job, Three will help cutdown on redeye for those people who just love to stare right into the camera lens, Four helps you steady your equipment when shooting.

A softbox on your flash, I didn't notice much of a difference when using one.It's an added cost that unless doing location portrait photography, without studio flash, I would say no to.

(also PLEASE remember a good rule to LIVE BY is "If the camera is out of it's storage bag/box, wear the neckstrap around your neck 100% of the time)

John

Old 12-19-2004, 09:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38612

seandavid is offline IP: 24.131.246.155

Hey Tex, I don't reply very often to many of these threads. I shoot mainly weddings, and this is what I use.Ths Stroboframe "flip Flash".It is very simple,light weight and in some ways makes the camera easier to hold.I don't know what kind of system you have.(Canon, Nikon etc.).But with the btacket you will have to you either a off camera cord or flash transmitter to fire the flash.My personal opinion is that the bracket is worth the money.I hope this helps your decision.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to seandavid Find More Posts by seandavid

Old 12-19-2004, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36702
Comments: 4
Send a message via AIM to dustylenscap

dustylenscap is offline IP: 68.1.29.217

I fully recommend the stroboframe pro series bracket, helps to deliver a first class product to your customer, who I am sure expects the very best. I also recommend the omni bounce by Sto-Fen.
Regards,
Dusty

http://www.stofen.com/
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dustylenscap Visit dustylenscap's homepage! Find More Posts by dustylenscap

Old 12-19-2004, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266

IIsassi is offline IP: 24.167.37.21

For shooting weddings I use a Custom Brackets Jr. . I use a D100 with an SB-80 flash connected with an SC-17 cable. You can use an anti-twist plate to help keep your flash from turning.

The bracket has three features that I think make it worth the money. You can adjust the height of the flash. The top plate has holes pre-drilled that I use to mount a cold-shoe for my PocketWizard transmitter. Third, I prefer to rotate the camera to the left. This flash backet works with that. The Stroboframe brackets rotate the other way.

On the SB-80 flash I use the diffuser that came with it. At the reception, I use one or two Photogenic lights to light the dance floor. The SB-80 works as a fill flash in that case.

Custom Brackets does make a unit that allows you to rotate the camera, which I like better.. I just don't like the bracket because it's too bulky and looks cheap in my opinion Camera Rotating Bracket .

Later,
Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi