Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
RAW not so good??
Old 12-16-2004, 07:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.56

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok... I give up... I have been in denial for some time now..and I have finally admitted that with my 20D, my Large Fine jpeg's look better than my RAW files!

I'm serious... I was even talking to a friend of mine yesterday who shoots everything in RAW on his D70..and one day, he was asked to shoot in large jpeg's.....well, what do you know,...he was mentioning the very same things...that his jpeg's were better looking,...cleaner, sharper than his RAW files..right out of the box..

Anyone? ??

I also learned never to shoot anything with a lot of red in it ever again unless I'm using chromes.. I shot some pictures that mi imbarazza so much that I refuse to publically display them of a model, wearing a red gown and gelled from the side with red gels..and up against a red wall...red light was intentially spilled on the sides of her..and through her somewhat brown hair... her skin is pale while..and she had red lipstick and cheeks...and everything looks like a fuzzy grainy mess.. The same set with a brick wall and blue gels produced wonderful results but red....ooooh god...never again with digital.. puke gag..barf!

What the hell am I doing wrong?? Anyone??

JP [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Re: RAW not so good??
Old 12-16-2004, 07:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38485
Comments: 0

photoTexas is offline IP: 63.185.104.90

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Could it be that jpgs have sharpening applied and RAW does not?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoTexas Find More Posts by photoTexas

Old 12-16-2004, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35979
Send a message via Yahoo to PhotosByMorganII

PhotosByMorganII is offline IP: 68.113.198.108

Any Jpeg file will look sharper and maybe better right out of the box because different processes were done in the camera. A raw file is just that, raw data. You must post process the file to get it to look like the jpeg file and if you have a real good process you can make it look even better. The nice thing about raw is that you can change effects such as white balance and sharpening out of the camera where as a Jpeg file has already been processed inside the camera and it becomes harder to fix a white balance snafu out of the camera.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotosByMorganII Visit PhotosByMorganII's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosByMorganII

Old 12-16-2004, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 63.64.13.29

You don't mention how you are processing your raw files. "Right out of the box" Jpeg files will look better then unprocessed raw images. They are already processed in the camera. With raw it's up to you to do the tweaking to get them looking the way you want. You might want to try different raw conversion software. I really like capture one, but now with photoshop CS doing such a nice job of processing, it's just as easy to do it all in photoshop.
Mark Harper
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 12-16-2004, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

sorry for not mentioning that..

I use Photoshop CS..

The adjustments in the RAW processing is a whole new ballgame...especially for the sharpen part.. it is preset to 25%..but I'm not sure how it's done... USM in photoshop has three different parts to it..and I like to use things the same way so that I don't over sharpen the images... now with RAW images, I seem to have a troubled time sharpening them..?....I just can't get them right..

any suggestions?

JP

Old 12-16-2004, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

[ QUOTE ]
Any Jpeg file will look sharper and maybe better right out of the box because different processes were done in the camera. A raw file is just that, raw data. You must post process the file to get it to look like the jpeg file and if you have a real good process you can make it look even better. The nice thing about raw is that you can change effects such as white balance and sharpening out of the camera where as a Jpeg file has already been processed inside the camera and it becomes harder to fix a white balance snafu out of the camera.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely right about all of that... very true indeed... I guess what I have to do now, is ...pretty much learn all over again... because before I bought the 20D,..I shot large/fine all the time..for the most part....and I am learning that everything is very different.. I developed a "system" when working with jpeg's.....with levels and saturation and usm adjustments..and those things I did don't work the same with RAW images the same way...everything is different.. I just wish that I could lasso certain parts of the RAW image when working on them..that would help a in some circumstances....for saving highlights without losing shadows or midtones.....It's kind of like working in the darkroom without dodging or burning tools..

JP

Old 12-16-2004, 08:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

[ QUOTE ]
Could it be that jpgs have sharpening applied and RAW does not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm....that raised my eyebrows..

Does RAW not sharpen at all? hmmm...when I open up the detail part..and I see the sharpen fader thingy...it's set to 25%..is that how much it's set in the camera..because I have my 20D set to the middle in the settings for things like contrast, colour tone..etc.. Should I pull that back to zero...before opening it up in photoshop?..or should I add sharpening to it ...but not sharpen anything in photoshop? .....my goodness...just when I thought I knew well enought ot get me by... good grief! I still have a lot to learn..

JP [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Old 12-16-2004, 08:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

You could always do one raw adjustment for a particular part of the picture and save that then do another adjustment for another part and then in photoshop do layers and combine the two photos to get the different areas you want to create that one special picture. You will have to erase parts to allow the other parts to show thru. A bit harder to explain here than to be shown.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotosByMorganII Visit PhotosByMorganII's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosByMorganII

Old 12-16-2004, 08:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

What you see when converting raw in photoshop or another program is a pre setting. You can change that setting to something else that you like better so that any future photos you open will be processed with the new setting unless you change it.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38485

photoTexas is offline IP: 63.185.104.90

Open a RAW image.... next to settings click on the arrow and go to preferences, change the first to sidecar.xmp file so your data travels with you and change sharpening to preview only. Sharpen in photoshop at the end. Also try merging all layers onto a new layer, doing a high pass filter at about a 2 on it, then changing it to soft light... now how do you like those apples?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoTexas Find More Posts by photoTexas