Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
What Works For Me..
Old 12-07-2004, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266
Comments: 0

IIsassi is offline IP: 24.167.36.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The reason for this post is that I see a lot of messages about problems with virus, spyware, and adware.. Sure, I have an occassional problem but nothing significant.. So, I decided I should post what I do in case it can work for someone else.. You know, in the spirit of sharing. Some may bash me for this but that's okay with me.. Someone might even decide to try to crash my computer.. That's okay with me too. I have plenty of backups and the computers that really matter never connect to the Internet.

- I run Windows XP Pro with SP2 with auto-updates, firewall enabled.
- Internet Explorer with all updates and Microsoft's recommended settings
- Office & Outlook 2002 with all of the latest updates
- McAfee AntiVirus with auto-updates enabled. Full system scan every night.. I don't like Norton because I work on too many computers that have had it disabled by a virus.
- Lavasoft Ad-Aware scans monthly
- Spybot Search & Destroy set to immunize, and auto-updates
- Google's Toolbar with pop-up blocker enabled

Most importantly, I don't ask my computer to jump through hoops.. In other words, it's a name brand machine (Dell) and no fancy hardware add-ons. It's just like most things.. You get what you pay for and you reap what you sow. If driver updates aren't being provided then I upgrade the hardware.

Just a brief on my background, I have a 17+ year IT history working in a variety of environments.. I've been the geek and they guy that managed the geeks supporting hundreds of servers, and thousands of computers and users. I don't think I'm any smarter than anyone else, I just feel that a computer is a tool, like my car.

Mac's vs. PC's? Neither one is better than the other.
IE vs. the others? Neither one is better than the other.
Windows vs. Linux? Neither one is better than the other.
and on and on.. It all comes down to personal preference.

Anyhow, I hope someone finds this useful. All questions and comments are welcome.

Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

Re: What Works For Me..
Old 12-07-2004, 06:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 64.164.73.93

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, MAC's may not be better than PCs, but I've never had to worry about a virus on my MAC, and my PC...well, you know the drill [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Old 12-07-2004, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Unfortunately, viruses do exist for the Mac platform as well as every other platform out there.. I don't "worry" about viruses on my PC's but I do run anti-virus software.. Same mindset as having some insurance and taking a flu shot.

It's also no longer safe to say that viruses are PC specific.. It's more operating system specific than anything else. Linux for example runs on the PC platform.

Mac's are less frequently affected because the guys that write viruses are interested in hitting the largest number of machines possible with the least effort.

I have nothing against Mac's. I have some experience with them.. I chose PC because the environments I've worked in have been dominated by PC's so it has made sense for me to stay on that course.

Thanks for the comments..
Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

Old 12-07-2004, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I'm not saying anything bad about PCs, heck, I have 2 myself, just sayin, I worry allot less with my MAC.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Old 12-08-2004, 02:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 65.96.216.100

All very good things to run and do on a computer Mr. IIsassi.
As for all the updates, I only install the security updates.

But do remember some websites install the unremovable registry edits. in spite of all our preventative maintanance.

The only two things I do differently from you are I use nortons not McAfee, anymore. I had problems with McAfee finding and removing a few viruses. And I dont connect to the internet unless behind a firewalled router.(Portable and easy to carry in my laptop case)

As for PC vs Mac. I was wiened on PCs so I favor them. Cant say if Macs are better or not, And dont really care. I use what I know, and it works, for me.

John

Old 12-08-2004, 03:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
bradkali

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 64.174.167.127

My view on this subject is this.

I have been dealing with, working on, building and installing PC's for 25 years. And overtime microsoft has added these wonderful additions to make computing and networking alot easier. Hence, the holes that hackers enjoy. SP2 doesnt even save you from hackers. There are holes in it also.

For one, active x and java are a hackers dream.

Here are my suggestions. Mozilla firefox is incredible at stopping pop-ups and malicious sites from taking over your PC. Simply it leaves out the holes that is in the lovely Internet Exlporer.

If you use an email on your system, I suggest you use mozilla thunderbird. It will not allow content to execute. It also blocks images and the auto responders.

I agree that you should run your firewall on XP in on position. And to add to your safety add a nice network hub that has built in firewall.

Also, yahoo's spyware software is a perfect software to scan and delete those cookies and such.

Adware is also a good choice. For anti-virus, I dont like or recommend Norton. To me, its a software that was once good, but has lost it footing and is pricey.
I use AVG anti-virus from sisoft. There is a free version that works perfectly and the free version is updated frequently.

I for one have 5 PC's. 2 Dells, 1 personal bulit PC, 1 HP zd7000 laptop, and an IBM all in one PC. I have never been infected and never had to redo my computers for a hacking or virus problems.

And if you want any problems at all with hacking and virus's, I agree that MAC is a good choice, but slow performer compared to PC's. Or use Linux, but software is slack, you dont have the choices.
I use all systems at my place of employment for visual effects work. And side by side, the windows and linux are the quickest. The G5 is by far slower of any machine I have ever used, but safer compared to windows. We have a render farm of 150 cpus, 90% are linux machines, and 10% are xservers. Simply because the numbers on the xservers performance is about 2 seconds slower.

Anyway. Back to the subject.

Windows is by far the best machine for software choices and speed. But horrible for hacking and malicious software. Its way to easy to hack and create a simple virus that will open in an email, cd or by whatever means you can think of on windows. So, the simplest solution for a windows user that doesnt take the precautions should just stay off the internet and or recieving email. Then all will be well.

That or buy a cheap used MAC for email and internet use.
And leave the windows machine for your work.

Just my thoughts....

Old 12-08-2004, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I'm not here to try to convince anyone which platform is better, I'm the first to say use what you like, but, come on, you have to know speed is relative to what you're using it for and one computer can be faster at something, but slower at something else. And, before you say it, sure, one can build a PC that is extremely fast, but it is also just as expensive, if not more so, than a custom built MAC G-5.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40476

RM_Drake is offline IP: 66.245.75.234

I agree that there's nothing wrong with PCs -- as long as you don't load any software from Microsoft. If you use Windows Media Player, you've got problems. If you use Internet Explorer, you've got problems. If you use Word, you've got problems.

Yes, a Mac can be just as vulnerable as a PC when you run the Mac version of Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer, Outlook, MS Word, etc. Most of the viruses that hit Macs get in through security holes in Microsoft products. Not all, but most.

By the way, I've used a PC for 12 years to run my database. It has no virus software on it and has never been hit by a virus. I use a DOS-based database running on DR-DOS, not MS-DOS. I would never run any version of Windows on any PC I own. When I need a graphical interface, I use the original graphical interface... a Mac! -- Randy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RM_Drake Visit RM_Drake's homepage! Find More Posts by RM_Drake

Old 12-08-2004, 10:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Okay.. let's reboot.. and don't tell me Mac's OS, Linux, and UNIX don't require reboots at times.. I've worked with them all and they all need it.. They all are good and they all are garbage.. That's the plain and simple truth....

One thing people never seem to account for when they takes sides is that the different OS's get used different ways.. Not because one can do something that the other can't, but because people make that choice.

I know that there are a lot of people jealous of Microsoft for being focused on becoming the richest company out there.. There's nothing wrong with that in America.. We are a capitalist society.. I applaud them..

So.. back to the purpose of my original message.. It's purpose was to simply list what is working for me.. A professional photographer should be able to focus on photography and the business of photography.. By listing what works for me, I'm trying to help other people.. That's all nothing else..

Bashing is just a complete waste of time and energy and it doesn't require any class.. I was hoping that the message would be useful but instead it's just become net noise so this will be my last message on the topic...

Smack me on the forehead for trying to be a good person and forgetting that we don't want people trying to be helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you,
Israel