Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Nudes on bodies that are not so fit....
Old 01-09-2003, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35360
Comments: 0

Clint is offline IP: 67.208.158.241

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have a client that wants some BW nudes done. She has a very attractive face, but her body is a little out of shape. She is not morbidly fat but she is pushing 30 with two kids and works full time, so her workout time is kinda limited. Anyway she is a personal friend of me and my wife and wants to give her husband that special gift for their anniversary.

I would like to hear how you guys shoot women who may not a rock hard body with 38D bust and 28 inch hips. I have some ideas with lighting, but I dont want to hider most of her in the shadows either. so any advice would be helpfull

thanks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Clint Visit Clint's homepage! Find More Posts by Clint

Re: Nudes on bodies that are not so fit....
Old 01-09-2003, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35378

cohibaron is offline IP: 65.66.126.145

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Props like boas, gown to hide mid section prferably dark with dark background. Also sitting on floor upper torso leaning towards camera more sitting on hip edge. Just a few thoughts. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cohibaron Find More Posts by cohibaron

this sounds like....
Old 01-09-2003, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35219

chunglee is offline IP: 24.193.49.137

clint,

this sounds like a styling issue more so then a technical issue. i think we can learn from the past when healthier looking women were considered attractive instead of the super slim models of today.

if you look at paintings from any period other then the 20th century, i think it might give you some inspiration.

reubenesque....

chung lee
  View Public Profile Send a private message to chunglee Visit chunglee's homepage! Find More Posts by chunglee

Re: this sounds like....
Old 01-10-2003, 12:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Clint is offline IP: 63.27.119.182

I think that this woman is very attractive. But I just wanted some advice as to how to highlight her attributes. She by no means fat or flabby, She is just a mommy. But she has seen other photogs work and wants me to give her those same results. I just want to make sure that I do
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Clint Visit Clint's homepage! Find More Posts by Clint

Old 01-10-2003, 03:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35575
Send a message via Yahoo to Don_Lutz

Don_Lutz is offline IP: 151.201.53.91

Clint, just a suggestion, I've seen numerous books at Barnes and Noble featuring Pin-up posters from the 1940's like the ones used on the fighter planes and bombers from World War Two. Many of the models and actresses from that era would be thought of as "Full-Figured" by todays standards. There were also a few of these books that demonstrated the dramatic lighting effects used on many of them. Most were movie studio hot lights. The poses,lighting effects and angles may be of some help. I wish I had some of the book titles but we were just browsing at the time.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Don_Lutz Find More Posts by Don_Lutz

Old 01-10-2003, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Clint -
I agree with Chung's assessment that this is primarily a styling issue. Seems to me that you're also going to be dealing with an inexperienced amateur who may not know anything about how to pose - let alone how best to minimize her weaknesses and play up her strengths. And to top it off, she's a friend and you don't want her disappointed.
I'd suggest that you compile a posing guide for her - a selection of ads, pics from whereever, CD covers, etc., for her to select ideas from. Depending on your own experience, maybe you should search the 'net and read all those "how to pose" pages for models - most are pretty much dreck, but there are some worthwhile general guides. You also might try to track down a hair and make-up person for the shoots. And most seriously, that you and she plan at least two sessions - particularly if you're not digital.
Good luck
John
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Not all that difficult t....
Old 01-10-2003, 09:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 216.175.66.228

Since the majority of ladies for whom I shoot private commissions fall precisely into the catagory you described, I've learned it isn't all that difficult. Here are a few tips.

Use shadow, fabrics, camera angles and precise crops to remove problem areas. In this shot, the ladies hoips were a bit large, with large stretch marks and celulite. So we either didn't include them them or masked the problems.

Problems such as a bit too much tummy or sags on the torso are easily resolved by stretching it out. Have her arch her back in prone shots. it can do wonders.

Same thing with standing shots. a little arch can smooth our soft or saggy flesh.

This pose, prone, looking back at the camera can even give the equivalent of a face lift, along with the body lift.

By stretching everything which can stretch and using fabric or shadow to cover problems, she shoul dlove the pics.
Distinctive Images
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Thanks guys.
Old 01-10-2003, 10:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Clint is offline IP: 67.208.161.4

the 40's nose art I really like too. I have always loved nose art on planes and my wife acutally bought me a book to that effect this christmas. Doug thanks for posting examplses too. They realy help alot.

also if you guys have not read the main forum, the wife just told me she was pregnant, so be expecting some belly shots soon!

Old 01-12-2003, 11:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.68.148.252

Hi Clint,

I just shot a model tonight in my studio and she has major stretch marks and breasts that have nursed two children. She is an, um, exotic dancer as well. I did a number of nudes tonight and used some of the poses shown in another post; on her back looking back at me so as to stretch things out a bit, for example. I wish I would have had more ideas to work with but she loves the photos I do of her (I guess that's what it's all about) even if I don't like them. Here is a link for you that has some good ideas for posing. I hope it helps....Good day and have a great new year!!

Mike

check out this site for poses: http://www.photographytips.com/page.cfm/374
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Suggestions.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 165.95.207.169

The way to minimize problems, is first, determine what problems need to be minimized.

If weight is a minor problem, then photograph from angles that allow the weight to go away from the lens.

If stretch marks are a problem, then allow them to be concealed or toned down with shadow, garment or fabric drapings, etc.

If she has a smaller bust, then use a more side angle, which can make the bust appear larger, and so-on.

It's really just looking for the best features, enhancing those, and minimizing those that are less attractive.

Remember to "stretch out" the body, to make the body appear leaner and slimmer, including having her use her muscles to accomplish that.

Just apply all the basic principles of portraiture, but as they apply to the entire body, and not just the face.