Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
!!!E-MAIL PROBLEMS!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.52

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I HATE my e-mail!!

I have this e-mail account.. which I am paying for...which is web based...and it just so happens to be printed on all of my new business cards and other ptomotional materials.....so, if I have contacted some one..or some business, and they need a photographer, they can e-mail me...but when they do, their e-mails are getting rejected...and people (thanks to my mother who informed me of this)..and getting these fatal error messages...when replying to my e-mail...or starting from scratch and creating a new message!!

The company who's god forsaken service I use has a customer service telephone number...which ALWAYS goes right to a recorded message...and then I hear the technical support staff phone ring a bunch of times...before going into a second recorded message...informing me that they "Please note, it is not our policy to return calls for technical support"....... WTF !!!???

In the past, I have had numberous problems with their system being CRASHED which I have used one of my other e-mail accounts to inform them of the technical issues I am experiencing...which have never ever been replied to! One of the issues I have had recently is that I go into my e-mail account...and I log in..and all that...I check my in-box messages..and I click on them...and ...and I read them... then before I close the session, I re-check the inbox folder to see if I have any new messages that came in while I was reading through them...then if I don't see any, I close the session..and I find something else to do.. Well, sometimes I have gone into my inbox later on, and I see an e-mail that hasn't been opened behind the ones I had already opened before...and what is upsetting to me is that sometimes, I have someone trying to contact me for a job...who is requesting me to reply back to them ASAP... Well, How am I supopose to reply back to them ASAP if their message is stuck in world wide web limbo?!

Additionally, I have been on the telephone with people who have sent me e-mail documents which I would like to receive right then and there...not 3 Æ’ucken hours from then..........so, after I sit there and refresh the folders, and wait...and look stupid,... I say...hey, try sending them to my yahoo.com....or my hotmail.com accounts....and sure enough, both addresses get the e-mail immediately......while I am refreshing the one from my "business" e-mail account....which has been nothing but god awful horrible to my business!!!!!!!

Bottom line..

Softhome.net SUCKS!

JP

Re: !!!E-MAIL PROBLEMS!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 06:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369
Comments: 0

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.203.221

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Man, are they so cheap that you'll put up with service like that forever, or would you like some references to other providers that do give good service?

View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 12-06-2004, 07:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36175

Tom_Tobin is offline IP: 67.9.9.234

JP,

Is there a reason why you don't use a free service like hotmail for your business ? I understand that you are trying to make a good impression but not getting your emails is probably the worst impression you can make. I understand your frustration. Hope you get it straightened out.

Best regards,
Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tom_Tobin Find More Posts by Tom_Tobin

Old 12-06-2004, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39009

pbfdrums is offline IP: 24.13.120.248

JP,
Are you paying pbase to host your photos and softmail for your e-mail service?
If that's the case, I would seriously consider taking the next finding a web host that provides e-mail with the service. jp(at)jpgreco.com looks great on a card, promo materials, etc...
I realize you're already into the services you have paid for, but sometimes it's better to "cut and run". I've heard lots of similar horror stories from people that tried to save a few bucks a month (and that's really where you are if my assumptions are correct), on internet services.
Just my two cents, let me know if you need any advice on how to take the leap, I have a pretty solid background (both professionally and personally) on this stuff.

Paul
  View Public Profile Send a private message to pbfdrums Visit pbfdrums's homepage! Find More Posts by pbfdrums

Old 12-06-2004, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.25

Thank you very much!

I will be in touch!

JP

Old 12-06-2004, 09:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.25

You know, ....it's funny that I am not getting my e-mails because they advertise their service as a "professional service".. Here:

Feature Summary:
* Professional Enhancements: yes
* Storage Limits: 60MB, 2000 files
* Transfer Limit: 500MB/month
* Maximum number of recipients per message: 50
* Old messages expire: no
* Ads from our sponsors: no

These are your services:

Professional Email 60:
* Professional Enhancements: yes
* Storage Limits: 60MB, 2000 files
* Transfer Limit: 500MB/month
* Maximum number of recipients per message: 50
* Old messages expire: no
* Ads from our sponsors: no
* Active Period: 2004-10-28 —Å® 2005-10-29 (inclusive)

You are using:

* 40% of 60MB storage
* 67% of 2000 messages
* 0% of 500MB transfer

.....You know, I'd figure that I would have a professional appearance by having a web based e-mail service catered to professionals....I liked that they had a telephone number with a human voice (in recording) that answered...but it might as well say, we are not going to put you through to a CS staff because we really don't have any...which is why we refer you to our answering machine to leave a message...oh, and it's not our policy to return calls for technical support.. / CS..because we already have your money...and that is where the service we provide to you ends..

Hell, if they sue me over these words, at least I'll hear back from them for the first time!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Well,... I thought this looked good.. I see that it hasn't been very good....which I wasn't aware of.. This just sucks to the max... I have work so so so so darn hard at being reliable,..and have gone the extra mile for my clients..only to have their e-mails rejected.. I am calling everyone who I exchanged a business card with in the last two years...and softhome.net better pray that I don't find one example of lost work due to their in my opinion ****ty service!

JP

Old 12-07-2004, 12:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40476

RM_Drake is offline IP: 66.245.75.234

"JohnPaul@Photographer.org" is available from NetIdentity. It's $25/year for e-mail only, or $30/year for e-mail and a (small) Web site. You can pick up your mail with a POP e-mail program, or on the Web using a browser, or you can forward all incoming mail to another account. They don't add advertising or tag lines to incoming or outgoing mail. I've used NetIdentity (previously MailBank) for about 5 years now, and except for occasionally exceeding their Web hosting bandwith limits (they stop serving the site until the 1st of the next month), I've been 100% happy with their service. --Randy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RM_Drake Visit RM_Drake's homepage! Find More Posts by RM_Drake

Old 12-07-2004, 01:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 66.129.202.98

everyone.net

$35 a year, whatever@your domain name, five accounts.

View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 12-07-2004, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

John,

I am really way to busy to reply to this, but alas, I will.

I run a Biker Enthusiast website, AmericanMotorcycleClub.com and offer free email to my visitors. I use Everyone.net for this service. I have for years and have been very pleased.

What I would recommend you do JP, is go out and get a branded domain name. Find yourself a host that will host your domain name and provide POP3 email addresses. Almost every host does this. If you need some that will host adult content, PM me and I'll refer you to a few. This way will be much more professional and will work just like your ISP's email. Of course, you will still need your ISP to access it. You can get a decent hosting account for
$25/month or less.

Good Luck,

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 12-14-2004, 01:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.125.172.4

JP, are you ready for this? Stop reading now if you are not ready.

OK, your ready, it's time to flip them the bird, and get a email service that dosn't suck that damn bad. I know tons of people swear by this IP, but stay away from Almost OnLine (AOL.) I call AOL "the internet for the droves of morons." Hence, why you should stay away. You and I may be in a mob, but we do not fall prey to the mob mentality. Anyways, just my 2 cents.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink