Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Connecting an S2 to a computer... how do you get it to work???
Old 11-29-2004, 11:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.61.185

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Okay, I'll admit to becoming a Luddite. Windows 98 threw me and I've never recovered. But I muddle along...

So I am trying to connect the Fuji S2 camera directly to a computer for direct image download onto the drive, using the Firewire 1394 system.

Computer is a 2.5 GHz eMachine with 256 meg of ram running Win XP home edition. It didn't have a 1394 port, so I plugged in a Adaptec PCI three 1394 port 400/800 mhz adapter card. The computer hardware configuration says the Adaptec Firewire card is recognized and responding.

So I connect the Firewire cable from the card to the S2, power the S2 up with the AC supply, and the Fuji interface software says the camera is not connected. Went through all the power sequencing several times, rebooted the 'puter, checked cables, etc. but still no go. The Fuji software just doesn't seem to see the camera.

Anybody got an S2 wired up to a computer through an Adaptec or similar Firewire card and working? Any ideas on things I might try other than finding a different 1394 driver?

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: Connecting an S2 to a computer... how do you get it to work???
Old 11-30-2004, 12:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266

IIsassi is offline IP: 24.167.36.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Is it possible that your camera is set to USB in the "PC Mode" menu instead of 1394??

Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

On try ...
Old 11-30-2004, 03:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

Often, you need to uninstall the camera software, especially if it was already installed when you added the firewire card, and then reboot, and then re-install the camera software and then see if it sees the firewire card.

Also, if you can get access to another firewire device, and test it to see if it is recognized, that would help to confirm that the card is indeed not the problem. There are many firewire external harddrives out there and perhaps someone you know has one.

I have found, that it is usually eaiser to just use a card reader. I have always found that the be faster than plugging the camera into the computer.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: Connecting an S2 to a computer... how do you get it to work???
Old 11-30-2004, 09:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 66.129.202.98

Man, I wish I could help you more specifically; I don't use Windows, so take it for what it's worth...

I plug my S2 into my Mac (Firewire or USB regardless of menu setting) and it pops up on the desktop as a "generic drive" the moment that I turn it on. I do realise that Windows usually requires software installs before you can plug something in and use it, but it seems to me that the S2 is "mass storage certified" and should appear regardless...

As an aside, I don't have an AC supply for it...Just for kicks and giggles, how about trying it on batteries alone and see what happens...

Also, the card may be recognized as being there, but is it communicating? I'd echo the suggestion to test another device on your card, and/or test the camera on another machine...

View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Thanks for the suggestions...
Old 12-01-2004, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.62.103

Thanks to those who replied.

I had changed the camera's settings to the 1394 setting. I don't recall if that's what the exact text is, but it was the Firewire setting for the PC interface. I had also tried the USB interface, and it didn't seem to be working either.

I also tried it with and without the AC adapter. That didn't seem to make any difference.

The camera software was installed after the Firewire card. At that point everything seemed to be working with the Firewire card, at least as far as the computer was concerned.

I don't have another Firewire interfaced device to check the Adaptec card out with. I do happen to have a different Firewire interface card so I may give that a shot.

The most frustrating thing is that when I start up the Fuji software, it pops up a small window telling me the camera is not communicating, and then it abruptly shuts down. Not very user friendly at all.

I have card readers, and the computer has a built in interface slots for a bunch of the most popular memory devices. I just want to get the direct-to-computer interface working out of curiousity. I'll figure it out eventually. I guess I am just disappointed in Fuji's software. Everything else they supplied worked so well out of the box I guess I got spoiled... or maybe Bill Gate's crew has been twinking with Windows XP...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Finally got it going...
Old 12-03-2004, 12:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.77.108.202

I had swapped Firewire adapter cards, and it still came up with a "Camera not connected" window. After fooling around with different cables, power on sequences, etc., I noticed the adapter card didn't seem seated just right. The computer has a cable that runs along the back of the PCI slots and apparently it was just catching and raising the edge of the cards enough to prevent them from fully seating properly. Anyway, after moving the cable out of the way and reseating the card, the software started seeing the camera and working.

It's interesting to fully control the camera from the computer, even firing the shutter from the keyboard. I'm surprised the reviews don't mention that control mode more often. The image save-direct-to-harddrive is neat in that it displays the image on the monitor screen and you can have it automativcally rotate the displayed image. Neato.

Anyway, I am having fun playing with the S2's various computer interface modes and am a happy Luddite. If you haven't played with the computer interface, give it a shot. You might find something very interesting or useful.

The always interesting Anna Lieb...

Re: Finally got it going...
Old 12-03-2004, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.124.193

Makes me want to drag a PC down to the studio.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren