Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Infrared exposure and airport questions
Old 11-24-2004, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35287
Comments: 0

scottdial is offline IP: 64.12.116.203

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm going to Antarctica in a couple of weeks. My original plan was to shoot all digital, but I started thinking the other night. I enjoy shooting infrared, and could get some really interesting results in Antarctica. After a little more research and a few emails with some polar photographers, I can't find any input, or any evidence that anyone has tried infrared there. I'm sure someone has, but I can't seem to track them down.

So I'll throw these questions out to the forum:

Would the exposure of infrared be significantly different in Antarctica than it would be at less extreme latitudes? I think it would, but how much?

I've had problems getting infrared film through airports. In Reno, the agents called a supervisor when they didn't know what to do. When she showed up, she opened the container before I had a chance to explain. I threw the container with the film in the trash can right in front of her. She explained later that she would have had to determine, one way or another, that it was film that was in the container. Looking back, a closet or a changing bag MIGHT have worked. I wish I would have at least looked at the film cassette. I've never seen one. I wonder if it has writing on it that says something like, "Hey, you're stupid."

On the same trip, when I left San Antonio, all they did was swab the container and run the swab through their sniffing machine. They seemed to understand about the film and were willing to accomodate me.

In Reno, they kept asking, "What speed is it?" It seems like 800 is the magic number to keep it from going through the xray. I tried to explain that it's high speed infrared, and has no ISO rating. Ever seen a deer in the headlights, trying to look inteligent and official?

Sorry for the long story, but it leads up to my next questions:

PPA isn't any help. Does anyone know if ASMP, or any other group could help?

If someone opened the container, very briefly, and then closed it again, indoors, what effect would that have on exposed and unexposed film?

If I put the film in my pocket, and walked through the metal detector, would that effect it. The stainless steel pins in my foot don't set them off, so I'm sure film cassettes wouldn't either.

I know the FAA allows hand inspections, but I've got a horror story about coming back from Equador, four weeks after 9-11.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to scottdial Find More Posts by scottdial

Re: Infrared exposure and airport questions
Old 11-24-2004, 08:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
StudioSixtySeven

Member GG#: 37417
My Mood:

frodofoto is offline IP: 68.218.239.167

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

With appropriate filters many digital cameras are capable of capturing infrared images. Nikons and Fujis work very well at this. Tiffen 87 filter, ISO to 1600, lens wide open, start at 1/30 and experiment with shutter speeds. At least with digital you can delete what you don't like. I still have a roll of infrared film in the freezer (exposed) since no one in my area develops it anymore.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to frodofoto Visit frodofoto's homepage! Find More Posts by frodofoto

That\'s a thought
Old 11-24-2004, 08:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

scottdial is offline IP: 64.12.116.203

I'm familiar with that but haven't tried it.
I'm taking two 10D bodies. Maybe I'll take my D30 to try your suggestion.

Thanks.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to scottdial Find More Posts by scottdial

Re: That\'s a thought
Old 11-24-2004, 09:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 169.207.244.175

My EOS 300D (aka Digital Rebel) has the same image sensor your 10D body does and it works just spiffy with my Tiffen #87A infrared filter.

Incidentally, most "metal detectors" are devices called magnetometers. They look for metals by their electromagnetic signature. They don't do anything to film because they don't emit high-energy photons like x-ray machines do.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

You should check out the performance. . .
Old 11-24-2004, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.161.216.21

of any device to be used in extreme cold. I understand that some digitals are problematic in extreme temperture variations.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Extreme Cold?
Old 11-25-2004, 12:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

scottdial is offline IP: 205.188.116.203

Hey, it's summertime there right now. I'm just taking cutoffs and flipflops. In case it happens to get cold, I'm packing a pair of socks.

Seriously, I echo your sentiments, Carlos, and have made provisions for that.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 11-25-2004, 04:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38731

Joe_Hillebrandt is offline IP: 68.202.197.222

While in Antartica, will you be staying at a pre-determined hotel (or friends' home)? If so, you might consider mailing (FedEx, UPS Global, etc) the film to your destination with a "Hold for PickUp Upon Arrival" notice for the front desk personnel. A phone call clueing them in ahead of time might be a good idea as well.

Hotels receive boxes of materials & equipment shipped in advance of business meetings and/or conventions all the time. Yours would likely be much easier to deal with due to size & weight.

Just a thought.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
j
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Joe_Hillebrandt Visit Joe_Hillebrandt's homepage! Find More Posts by Joe_Hillebrandt

Old 11-25-2004, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36107

starimagewriter is offline IP: 66.138.225.157

The new Xray's at almost all major airports will toast any ISO/ASA film if in checked bagage. IR film loaded and unloaded in total darkness. Changing bag works great. Kodak has done an extensive test on the Xray equipment one generation back. I have a copy of this in pdf format if anyone is interested. The new gen of xray equipment is much worse than the prior, and it (prior) was bad enough.
If you develope B&W at home you can do your own IR. Have a safe trip! --Bill
  View Public Profile Send a private message to starimagewriter Find More Posts by starimagewriter

Old 11-25-2004, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35200
My Mood:

bsphoto is offline IP: 134.53.145.39

[ QUOTE ]

[...snip...]
If I put the film in my pocket, and walked through the metal detector, would that effect it. The stainless steel pins in my foot don't set them off, so I'm sure film cassettes wouldn't either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stainless steel alloys with high nickel content is non magnetic. Therefore it would not trip metal detectors. This sort of stainless steel is often used in medical stuff.

The metal in the film canisters are magnetic and would set off the metal detector.

However, I suppose you could put the film into a plastic bulk film container and that wouldn't cause any problems.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bsphoto Visit bsphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by bsphoto