Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Screwed by Nikon?
Old 11-22-2004, 11:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35225
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to BobH Send a message via MSN to BobH

BobH is offline IP: 204.186.117.33

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I ordered a Nikon D70 from B&H based on information I received from a Nikon sales rep at the photo expo. I placed the order on 11/04/04. My account was not debited until 11/8/04, and I received the camera via UPS on 11/9/04. Yesterday I found out Nikon offered a $100. rebate beginning on 11/7/04. I called a Nikon Technical service rebate rep, who basically said too bad..... Its the order date on the invoice.
I have spent over $17,000 on Nikon equipment since 1983. Do you think they could look at this situation, and in the spirit of good customer relations give me a break, and honor the rebate? I asked to talk to a supervisor and he is supposed to call back. We will see how good Nikon customer relations really is.... How they support long term customers.... I will let you know one way or another.......
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobH Find More Posts by BobH

Re: Screwed by Nikon?
Old 11-22-2004, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 69.208.80.154

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You would think that there wouldnt be a question. But then again, customer service just isnt what it used to be. Definately let us know how it turns out.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 11-22-2004, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39269

Hawaii_Mike is offline IP: 4.7.221.207

You could always ask B&H to issue another invoice dated several days later. Perhaps they could do a return / exchange on paper and reissue an updated invoice with a date eligible for the rebate. For $100 it's worth a shot.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Hawaii_Mike Find More Posts by Hawaii_Mike

Old 11-22-2004, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 69.208.80.154

That is a good thought. I know I have been able to do that with local companies on occassion.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 11-22-2004, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.39

....So what are you going to do......switch to Canon now?? Nope... you will just grumble about it for a while and you will buy another Nikon product in time..

All they care about is selling their products..that's all..

I can't tell you how many times I was let down by Canon...like the time when I bought this three thousand dollar (body alone) D30 camera body...that I sold to Jimmy.. believe it or not.. for $432.00 well, it depreciated in value right after I bought it in 2001, it came down some 2-300 bucks...then 3 months later, they released the 6MP D60 for 2,200 bucks!! Damn them! ....then what ...some 9 or some months later they released a nifty metal bodied better featured 10D body for HALF of what I paid for my shortly over a year old D30 that I thought was going to last a while in value!! ...How could they... now, I am so glad I got rid of that POS camera because I biught a 20D that makes the 10D body look like my old D30!!

Oh, when I sold my D30, it included the brand new shutter, hot shoe and sync outlet as well as a cleaning, adjusting..and firmware update... It was like a brand new camera that I sold for the same amont I paid for it's repairs..

It happens.. it sounds like they could have given you a deal on it...but, they just wanted your hundred bucks more than trying to keep you happy..

Better luck next time guy! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Old 11-22-2004, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318

JasonNJ is offline IP: 208.222.116.86

Well, wouldn't say, screwed by Nikon but more or less, screwed by B&H.

Now of course, I can't go on an A vs B comparison here, but a lot of times, we the Unique Photo's and B&H's of the world are made aware of rebates continuing past there original dates, or let go past that date.

There have been times that we know of something going on and will inform the customer of the possibilities of a rebate, or being many of us are photographers, share a hunch as to what is coming in the future which may lead to rebates.

Can we blame Nikon, B&H or anyone for this fiasco. No, can we blame you? Of course not. It is sadly a sad state of affairs, it is hard for a company like B&H or Nikon *unique as well at times* to say, "oh yeah, here is some more money, we feel bad about this". If your salesman at B&H knew about it, you would think he would let your order go to the next day. Or the Nikon rep as you said realizing your a Nikon user and are loyal and how for the simplest way he can make a customer very very happy and appreciative and come back for more products.

I will admit, even I have been put in the position of rebates coming or going within a 24 hour span, and sometimes I do my best to give the customer everything they can deserve. However, keep in mind, I had roughly 5 customers all come back and yell at me at CF prices. I sell a card in January for $169, the fact it dropps down to $99.95 in July doesn't mean I can refund them the difference. Its the sad world of the then and the now, I don't like it but sometimes you the manufacturer or you the vendor have your hands tied and can't do anything and the customer in the end has to "Shine on" and "chin up".

I feel bad when that happens and often down the road I might do something to try to cosmically balance things out for the customer I might not normally have done.

I hope the photo karma eventually gets back to you on this one, its a sad state of affairs when things like this happen. But even with those Nikon Rebates, the Winter Rebate is the one your mentioning, there is a fall rebate, did they give you that one at least?

Glorified Unique Photo Counterboy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonNJ Visit JasonNJ's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonNJ

Screwed by your own thinking?
Old 11-22-2004, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068
Comments: 1

StuHaluski is offline IP: 24.98.10.76

Basically you can try to get your refund or rebate but I don't see that you have a legitimate gripe at all.

Everything has to start and end at a certain time or way. Everyone wanting to stretch the rules really benefits no one.

Lets see uh that rebate Nikon offered two weeks ago let me see how far they will go to please me or I will scream bloody murder. How about the one last year... where does it stop?

You got a good deal when you made the deal and were happy with it. You can always find it cheaper...just as you can always find it more expensive.

Just my 2 cents.

Stu
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski

Old 11-22-2004, 09:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
StudioSixtySeven

Member GG#: 37417
My Mood:

frodofoto is offline IP: 68.218.239.167

Let's see , what does Nikon usually want? Rebate form, UPC code or code that has the camera's serial number, and a COPY of the original sales receipt.

Soooo, scan the receipt, bring it into Photoshop - now where's that date for when I ordered? Hmmmmm.

Nah, that would be cheating and you wouldn't want to screw Nikon!

View Public Profile Send a private message to frodofoto Visit frodofoto's homepage! Find More Posts by frodofoto

Old 11-23-2004, 12:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 201.137.147.176

I agree with Jason, your beef is with B&H, but I think you will find them to be cooperative on fixing this if you're calm about it. I had a similar thing happen with them on a Nikon scanner (I think - it was summer '03) and they did a "paper refund and re-sale"" as Jason suggested, and I got the difference, over $100 I'm sure - back in the process. (Mine was a price drop, not a rebate). They were very good about it. Its possible that your item was ordered over one of their many holidays. According to my calendar, Nov 4 was a Thursday. If you ordered it late in the day, that would be Friday to them, and they don't ship on Fridays (they're run by Orthodox Jews) or work on Saturday. If they processed your order on Sunday the 7th, the credit card bank would show it as a Monday (8th) charge. (Look at your credit card slips - there is an transaction date and a charge date, not always the same). Who knows why it didn't get shipped on Monday, there are always circumstances. Ask them, I'm sure they'll make it right.

Good luck,
Andy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 11-23-2004, 05:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.128.130.21

Jason,

You're leaving something very important out of that equation. What happens to all of your stock when the price on that item drops. You guys get squezzed in the middle as the retailer. You order something for $50 you plan to sell for $169, and you have 100 of them. Now, the retail price drops to $99 overnight. In effect the retailer just lost $7000.

If you buy something on the NYSE at $100 and it closes that same day for $75/share, are you going to ask for your $25/share back because now it's worth less? Well, you can, but tough luck.

How about if you sold that same stock for $100 and then the price goes up to $150 before closeing? Are you going to ask for the extra $50/share. Better yet, if I sold it to you at $100 and then it went up to $150, would you give me the extra $50? I don't think so.

That's the way it works sometimes. Sometimes, it's gotta be ****ty for someone. It's just that this time you got the short end of the stick.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike