Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Need SB-800 help from Cozumel....
Old 11-21-2004, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977
Comments: 0

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 201.137.91.49

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

So here I am in Cozumel with Rolando and the gang (wish you were here!) and I''m about to demonstrate my technique for using on-camera flash at sunset (with a warming gel over it) something I've done for years and posted here many times. When I bought the SB-800 (to use with my D70) I also bought a new adapter cord for the Quantum Turbo to power up the SB-800 like I used to do with my SB-26. I am sure I've tested this and its worked before, but for some reason I cannot get it to work now. The recycle time is several seconds, not the almost instant recycle I'm used to (in full manual power), which tells me its powering solely off the internal AAs, not the Quantum. I recall reading something somewhere about a specific sequence for plugging in and turning on the parts, but I can't remember it, I think I've tried them all, and there's nothing about it in the flash manual. It doesn't work whether attached to the camera or not. Anyone have any ideas?

BTW, there''ll be some great photos posted from the weekend once we all get back. Some great locations and great light, but very long hours.

All for now from Cozumel,
Andy Pearlman
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: Need SB-800 help from Cozumel....
Old 11-21-2004, 05:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36117

C_J_Samples is offline IP: 69.241.0.124

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi Andy,
Straight from the QTM site. I hope it helps as I will be getting mine from UPS on Monday.

Read the instructions that came with the Turbo Cable carefully now. When connecting the Turbo to certain specified flashes you will have to put batteries into their battery compartment as well. This would be to supply low voltage power to microchips that control some auto flash or dedicated flash functions. If the flash you use requires batteries in its compartment (according to the Turbo Cable instructions) these internal flash batteries will provide low voltage power for the microchips. The Turbo will supply the heavy power for flash recycling.

(If you are in doubt, try using the flash without internal batteries first. In some cases the Turbo Cable supplies the low voltage power where required).

Now you can safely and properly connect the Turbo to your flash. Remember to plug the Turbo Cables into the flash first.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to C_J_Samples Visit C_J_Samples's homepage! Find More Posts by C_J_Samples

Old 11-21-2004, 05:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Andy,
I did have one side question on the gel you normally use for this. I wanted to do pretty much the same thing and wasn't sure exactly which gel to get. Would you be so kind as to possibly divulge the gel number? If it was not so late, I would run down and get the number of the one I ended up getting, but it is untested at the moment.

Chris Graphic Images
  View Public Profile Send a private message to C_J_Samples Visit C_J_Samples's homepage! Find More Posts by C_J_Samples

Old 11-21-2004, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35330
Send a message via ICQ to John_Chennavasin Send a message via Yahoo to John_Chennavasin

John_Chennavasin is offline IP: 68.5.192.187

What is shown on the battery gauge on the Quantum Turbo battery? It is possible that the battery is no longer holding a charge (this might be an issue with older batteries).

I wonder if the other attendees brought high-voltage batteries and the appropriate cables with them.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to John_Chennavasin Visit John_Chennavasin's homepage! Find More Posts by John_Chennavasin

gel #
Old 11-22-2004, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 201.137.147.176

I'm not sure I understand which "this"you are referring to, theer was no image attached. I''ll assume "this" referred to the flash at sunset? If so, that gel is a "Bastard Amber". I posted a sample of it here as a color patch, but I can't get to it immediately. You might be able to if you search my posts going back say 3 months, or post this again and √?'ll reply when I get home.

Rolando like to use a CTO gel for the same thing, but today here in Cozumel I had everyone trying it with BA and liking the results.

Andy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 11-22-2004, 12:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I've always had batteries in the flash, and while I will check to see how fresh they are, the unit is not that old, and I put new batteries in when I got it, and hardly used it at all (and always with the external pack) so that shouldn't be an issue - it never was with the old strobe. It powered up for years, with very few internal battery changes.

I think more inquiry is in order.

Thanks
Andy

Old 11-22-2004, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

The Turbo has all the lights on - fully charged. But it IS quite old. What's the life expectancy of these things, when not used frequently (rarely more than once or twice a month). Also, see my other reply below.

Also, anything interesting to report from GC?

Thanks
Andy

Old 11-22-2004, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35330
Send a message via ICQ to John_Chennavasin Send a message via Yahoo to John_Chennavasin

John_Chennavasin is offline IP: 68.5.192.187

There is a thread on Rob Galbraith's forums which discusses Quantum Turbo compatibility issues with newer flashes, and also care and feeding of Quantum Turbo batteries. The discussion is primarily about the Canon 550EX, but I believe this will apply to the Nikon SB-800 (from what I've heard, the majority of flashes sold by camera manufacturers are made by Panasonic).
  View Public Profile Send a private message to John_Chennavasin Visit John_Chennavasin's homepage! Find More Posts by John_Chennavasin

Old 11-23-2004, 03:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Ok Andy,
You must have jinxed me. Now my turbo is doing the same thing. The one I rented before did not do this so now I am a bit puzzled. The only thing I did notice is that the high voltage light is not on, so that may be telling me that the pack is not fully charged. Maybe somewhere internally it doesn't allow the turbo to kick on if it is not fully charged in a while. So now it is back on the charger until the charging light does what QTM says it is suppose to do.

Confused in Atlanta
Chris Graphic Images