Garage Glamour™http://www.garageglamour.com/forums/

Garage Glamour™ (http://www.garageglamour.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk Forum (http://www.garageglamour.com/forums/tech-talk-forum/)
-   -   ...It's dead....Is there any help? (http://www.garageglamour.com/forums/tech-talk-forum/13096-its-dead-there-any-help.html)

Kithos 11-19-2004 01:43 PM

...It\'s dead....Is there any help?

Angelique: "What's the prognosis Doctor, will she make it?"

Doctor: "I have some bad news, we were unable to revive her. There was just too much water."

Angelique cries with pity and tries to shake her baby awake. It's too late. The camera fizzles then turns off. In hopes it will come back to life by some grace of magic, she sets it on the table. Everyday she walks by and tries to revive her again, but it is no use. She seems to have left for Nikon heaven.

Needless to say, my loved one spilled water on my $900 camera and it seems to have passed on to another realm.

Can anyone recommend what to do?
Anyone experience this problem before?
Do I take it to a camera shop?

This is depressing... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
There's a void in my life now.

PremierPhoto 11-19-2004 02:17 PM

Re: ...It\'s dead....Is there any help?

Can we assume you're looking for a new loved one??(just kidding)

What camera is it? I've known some camera shops to repair completely flooded cameras and they work fine. Digital cameras have a little more work involved in repairing than do film cameras. You may try asking a local scuba shop if they recommend any camera shops for repair. Underwater photographers tend to flood cameras quite often and dive shops usually have good reps with camera repair shops b/c of this.

Sorry to hear this.
Good luck.

JasonNJ 11-19-2004 02:48 PM

*taps*

if there was only a way I could put up the sheet music for taps right now.

If your in the market for a new loved one, well, new camera to love, I would be more then happy to help you out in any way I can, also warranty i can probably help you with, I feel for your loss.

Glorified Unique Photo Counterboy
http://www.garageglamour.com/portfol...sonNJ/6fcf.gif
jasone@uniquephoto.com
http://www.garageglamour.com/portfol...sonNJ/989a.jpg
(one of these guys decided how cool it would be to nudge my 85 1.8 lens off the table a month ago... not sure who did it, but the jury is out, or if you want one of them to compensate for your loved one who took out your nikon)

jford 11-19-2004 03:11 PM

Kithos -

[This was written assuming you had a digital. If not, certainly try a camera repair place FIRST.)

I'm sorry to say that the camera is PROBABLY kaput. However, there's at least one site on the web that exhibits images taken from a early model Nikon (I think) AFTER the camera had fallen into a pond. The colors were distorted in the most marvelous fashion, but the images were still sharp.

However, the real relevance to your situation is that the camera still worked. There IS a chance that it'll recover.

If I were you - I'd remove the batteries straight away. Then contact Nikon about possible repair costs. If the estimate is too high to be acceptable, I'd try a little home treatment. First, if the fluid spilled on the camera was distilled water or drinking water, I'd allow the camera to dry thoroughly. Several days. Maybe even using a fan, with the back opened. Then cross my fingers, load fresh batteries in, and fire it up.

If the fluid spilled was beer, juice, tea, coffee, and ESPECIALLY if it was salt water, I'd remove the batteries, then rinse the camera thoroughly with distilled water (available in most groceries right near the spring water and mineral water - don't substitute), then dry as above. Salt is terribly corrosive to metals, so you need to get it out.

Good luck.

hipchildreth 11-19-2004 03:54 PM

I don't know if this will help or not but I took my brand new D1-X out one night to shoot firefighters on a practice burn. It started raining and, being used to shooting an F4, I kept on shooting. It had never been a problem before, I just held the camera under my vest when I wasn't actually shooting and kept it... sort of dry.
The next day I was shooting this guy in the studio and the camera was behaving erratically... very erratically; I barely got the shoot done. At a friend's suggestion, I put the camera on the front seat of my car parked in open sun (this was high summer last year, at least 90 degrees outside). I left it in the sweltering heat for two hours and brought it back inside. After it cooled awhile I fired it up and it was back to normal, has been ever since cause I don't shoot it in the rain anymore.

Best of luck,
chip

RonC 11-19-2004 05:22 PM

Hairdryer?
Try drying any port or opening with low heat and slow speed on your hair dryer.
Might work, who knows?
RonC

BillBrittain 11-19-2004 05:30 PM

I feel connected to the loss, since I know the camera must be your new Coolpix 5700. Ouch!

There certainly are people who can strip it down and clean it out. Drop me a line and I'll put you on to a shop in VA that might be able to help.

Bill Brittain

schlomo 11-20-2004 01:18 AM

one time i dropped my cell phone in the toilet. it's a long story as to why i had my cell phone with me while sitting on the can, but anywho.

the moral of the story is: i took the battery out, and took it apart as much as i could without undoing anything major, and let it sit in the sun on my window sill, and in a matter of hours it was back to normal.

give it a rip, and let us know.

rjwarren 11-21-2004 02:56 AM

Angelique

Sorry to hear about the incident -- but with complex electronics (like a digital camera) you may not want it after this. Even if you could get it to work again.

Bob

Hawaii_Mike 11-21-2004 04:13 AM

Angelique,

My parked car flooded once in Tokyo during a bad storm. The water came in through the doors and I had my camera bag sitting on the floor. When I returned to my car after the storm, I discovered a very, very soggy camera. I actually poured water out of it through the lens bayonet. From the high water marks, I figured that here was about 4 or more inches of water that my camera had sat in overnight.

My beloved Contax G2 and 21 mm were salvageable and work great, thanks to Yodobashi Camera outside Tokyo in Machida. However, due to the language barrier, I’m not sure if they had to send it in to Contax for repair or if they repaired it on site. It wasn't cheap to get the body and lens repaired, but still cheaper than buying new or used, especially the 21mm Zeiss.

You didn't state whether your camera was digital or film. The G2 is 35mm film rangefinder so although it has plenty of electronics and motors for metering and auto focus in a G2, it electronics are primitive compared to any digital SLR. Either way, you need to get the battery out of the camera ASAP, and let it dry out. Then bring it to a professional repair shop for a diagnosis and estimate.

So, there may be hope, especially if your camera didn't get as drenched as mine.

Good luck and hope your situation works out,
Michael

BTW - If anyone was worrying about the car... I didn't really care much about the car. My Contax camera kit was probably worth more than the car. Although that musty odor never went away, my Nissan Bluebird ran fine for another year. When it finally gave out, it had over 100,000 km and I don't think it had anything to do with the flood. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]