Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Memory Card Question...
Old 11-19-2004, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40169
Comments: 0

PremierPhoto is offline IP: 68.95.0.206

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am somewhat new to pro level digital and have a question about memory cards. I'm using compact flash style. Right now, the biggest I have is a 256. Shooting w/ a 6mp cam, I get about 20 RAW images...Of course, I need more. I've been looking at 2GB CF cards. I know the diff with the 40x and 80x. But, I recently came across a 2BG-40x Microdrive card. It was about $75 less than a 2GB-40x CF card. I'm looking to buy 2-3 cards, so price matters.

From my understanding so far, the Microdrive will work in a CF slot.
Any advantages/disadvantages to Microdrive or Cf Card??? Speed, quality, longevity???

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PremierPhoto Visit PremierPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by PremierPhoto

Re: Memory Card Question...
Old 11-19-2004, 01:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.128.130.21

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Microdrives are extremely unreliable. Spend the extra money and get a CF card. I know that cost is a big factor. However, you may want to consider multiple 512 cards. It's the card that is pretty much the same size a CDR, so backups are failry easy. Also, if your 2 GB card goes fizzle then you've lost whatever is on that card, shich could be 2 GB. For me with a 512 MB card, I lose about a roll of film. Of course, I back up on site to a Flashtrax 40GB device, so in case I lose a card, I may not have lost the images.

Good luck.

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 11-19-2004, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 65.206.7.158

I would spend the extra $$ and get a regular solid state microdrive. They are minature hard drives and thus are more sensitive than the solid state hard drives. I had a microdrive and it has failed on me with only 2 years of use. Some people will tell you how wonderful they are - the drives haven't crashed on them YET. Anyone that works with computers knows just how fragile they are and thus wouldn't buy one.

Old 11-19-2004, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318

JasonNJ is offline IP: 208.222.116.86

Some of the things you should know about cards have been said. I can't agree more on the anti-microdrive statements. For the money saved your increasing risk to your card and losing images, moving parts...bad.

As far as memory, bring it down to which camera you have, what kind of shooting. In some cases I would suggest pro level cards with image recovery software, in others you can look at with less write speed so that you can save some pennies.

All in all, CF is the most cost effecient memory out there on the market today.

if you want drop me a line and we will chat memory cards that work best for your 6mp camera

Sandisk and Lexar are generally the best ones out on the market

Glorified Unique Photo Counterboy
jasone@uniquephoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonNJ Visit JasonNJ's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonNJ

Old 11-19-2004, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks Mike, Hackman, and Jason.
I was leaning toward the CF card, but just didn't really know anything about Microdrive. I think I may get like 1-2GB 40x card and maybe 2-512 'regular speed' cards as backup. I mostly shoot in studio, but I also shoot events like parties and ocassional weddings. In those cases, I wouldn't have time to stop and download images.
I have a big party coming up that I'm trying to prep for. I only have to shoot at 3mp .jpg, but I have to shoot a lot. 5 hour party with over 1000 guests. My profit from that is going to buy new cards and a quantum battery pack.(among other things)

Thanks again for the helpful info. I'm off to spend some money$$$
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PremierPhoto Visit PremierPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by PremierPhoto

Old 11-19-2004, 03:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 24.128.126.246

get more smaller card less bigger cards....Digital pro seth reznik (sp?) uses all 265 and 512 cards and he shoots all raw....less chance of loseing a shoot...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 11-19-2004, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37815

mathia is offline IP: 70.185.35.11

Personally speaking as someone who works with computers, I haven't had any problems with my IBM Microdrive. They do tend to be slower than CF cards, but they seem to be reliable for the most part. I also know someone who uses one with his IPAQ and he has also had no problems, but it is a matter of personal choice. Go with what you feel comfortable with. On the other hand, I have officially (at least, I think) bought my last CF card. I bought an Image Bank a few weeks ago, and have nothing but praise for it. It can run on either batteries or AC power, which makes it extremely portable. It initailly came with a 3.2 gig hard drive which I have replaced with a 10 gig drive. So, I think the way to go is to buy a couple of decent sized CF cards along with one of the many portable transfer devices currently on the market. That way, you can be shooting with one card while the other is transferring to your portable device. The only downside I have seen is having to format your cards on the camera if you're at a remote location. Of course, if you think ahead and get an extra battery for your camera, that shouldn't be much of a problem.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mathia Visit mathia's homepage! Find More Posts by mathia

Old 11-19-2004, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.128.130.21

I would really recommend getting more of the smaller cards. I hear what you're saying about downloading cards. What I do is shoot with 10 512mb CF cards. When one card is done, it goes right into my flashtrax and downloads while I shoot the next card. The flashtrax fits in a waist pack that I keep on me, so I don't have to run back and forth to a machine to download. Once I finish shooting the next card, I take that one out and place it in a different pocket of my pack. The one I just got done shooting goes into the flashtrax to download (backup) and a new card goes in the camera. The goal is to have two copies of each image when I get back to the studio. I do not recycle cards. I've seen commercial shooters have to redo a shoot at their expense because they decided to recycle cards and they formatted a card before they downloaded it. How would you like to do that with a 1 GB card? I have! Trust me, it's not fun

What if that 2 GB card fails? You've lost everything. If a 512MB card fails, you've only lost 30 or so images. I like those odds better.

Listen, I know you're going to do what you think is best and within your spending abilities. But if I were you, I would buy four 512 cards before I bought one 2 Gig cards. Drink fewer beers smoke fewer cigarettes whatever it is, but get smaller cards.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 11-19-2004, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 68.51.11.204

I started with a 1GB IBM Microdrive and (knock on wood) it's still working perfectly two years and over 20,000 images later. That said ... Fry's Electronics frequently sells Lexar 1GB Compact Flash for less that $50, and since they are supposed to be more reliable, price is no longer an issue. You can now get the CF card, AND save $$$.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 11-19-2004, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

OK, I have another question on this...

Has anyone ever noticed a huge difference in write speed between the regular CF cards and the 40x or 80x? I've used a friend's 1BG 80x card before and I really could not tell much difference from my regular 256MB card.

If not, I'm looking at taking a diff route on the cards, as far as size.

Any recs on the best place to look at the FlashTrax? Prices? That route also sounds interesting.

Thanks to everyone else for the input, you guys really are helping me.

Also, Jason & Hackman...Love the images!