Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Mozilla Firefox
Old 11-16-2004, 03:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.62.116

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

If you're sick of Internet Explorer and all its security flaws and you're not big on Netscape, I highly recommend Mozilla's anticipated and finally released new browser, Firefox.

You can DL Firefox for free.

Firefox 1.0
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: Mozilla Firefox - Ditto already using it...
Old 11-16-2004, 04:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39269
Comments: 0

Hawaii_Mike is offline IP: 4.7.221.207

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ditto... Jimmy. Already using it. Firefox gets high marks from me. Love the tabbed browing and all the extensions you can download to customize your internet experience. Currently using extensions for image zoom, tabbrowser, and google preview.

I've been a long time Netscape user due to the IE security issues and recently tried and switched to the preview release of Firefox (and upgraded to the "final release" this weekend) and think its the greatest.

Can't wait for the Thunderbird e-mail, RSS and newsgroup client. I believe the 0.9 version has been released, so hopefully the final version will be out early next year if not sooner.

Michael
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Hawaii_Mike Find More Posts by Hawaii_Mike

Re: Mozilla Firefox
Old 11-16-2004, 09:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40282
Send a message via ICQ to KapHn8d Send a message via AIM to KapHn8d Send a message via MSN to KapHn8d Send a message via Yahoo to KapHn8d Send a message via Skype™ to KapHn8d

KapHn8d is offline IP: 12.40.26.32

another note worth mentioning...

unlike IE, Firefox is very strict when it comes to following rules for things like CSS and the like, so if your web site's font and screen colors look right in Firefox, they will probably look right in most other browsers. I ran into an issue where page fonts in certain tables where white on black in IE, but black on black in other browsers, specifically Firefox. I found that the td color tag was missing in my style sheet and IE (leniantly) simply picks a tag from another style, where Firefox holds you to the rules.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to KapHn8d Visit KapHn8d's homepage! Find More Posts by KapHn8d

Old 11-16-2004, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35596

equesada is offline IP: 68.200.123.195

Amen to that.

After you install it go out and get some file extensions for added functionality, such as adblock.

Tired of outlook express? Install Mozilla Thunderbird mail client.
It's good to see reliable choices come of age.

Or...buy a Mac.

Regards,
Rick
  View Public Profile Send a private message to equesada Visit equesada's homepage! Find More Posts by equesada

Old 11-28-2004, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.126.158.84

Hey Jimmy, glad to hear from you again. I've tried Firefox and it's ok. I have a freind who uses it exclusivly, and he swears by it. It's not a second rate program, just nothing for me personally to get excited about. I do like how you are telling people about an alternative to Bill Gates though.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 12-03-2004, 10:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36472

watersedge is offline IP: 151.199.156.238

I just downloaded Firefox and I'm liking it. I do have one question though. Does anyone know how to do batch uploads with it. When I upload my prints to the lab, I can't find a way to select several at once. I have to click on each file individually. This gets to be a pain when you ar uploading 100 plus images.

Chris
  View Public Profile Send a private message to watersedge Visit watersedge's homepage! Find More Posts by watersedge

Old 12-03-2004, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37080

grumblecat is offline IP: 24.7.150.143

Was the batch upload something you could do in IE? If so I am guessing your lab must have some custom Javascript or ActiveX component that might be IE specific. Either that your you will have to re-download a Firefox specific version.

You will find very few things that Firefox won't do that IE would with the exception of those types of custom components. And with added extentions Firefox will do many things that IE will not.

gary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to grumblecat Visit grumblecat's homepage! Find More Posts by grumblecat

A dissenting voice...
Old 12-04-2004, 02:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.60.77

I am no fan of IE, but Mozilla Firefox didn't make me estatic either.

First, there is the problem of the sites designed around IE which don't work well with ANY other browsers. I can't believe I am the only one who seems to constantly run into such sites.

Secondly, the image download and save functions are slow. It seems that you cannot save an image directly even if it's displayed on your screen. If you want to save it, the program must download it again. This doubles the time it takes. Multiply that by a bunch of images, and it really eats up time. At least that what I think is happening.

It's a nice program for many other purposes, it just doesn't seem to "fit" well with me. And I hate having two or three browsers open at one time just to browse the 'net.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: A dissenting voice to the dissenting voice...
Old 12-04-2004, 11:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40476

RM_Drake is offline IP: 68.84.254.39

Most designers know better than to design a site for a specific browser. The latest version of Dreamweaver MX (the Web design program I use) will check a design against a dozen or so different browsers, both Windoze and Mac, alert you if you've written incompatible code, and highlight the specific tags or whatever. I'm in the process of rewrtiting my HTML sites to be compaitble with XHTML, and I use Firefox as my main "look and feel" browswer because it holds XHTML sites to strict compliance. Frankly, if the site works with Firefox, it'll work with everything except Netscape 4.0 (which is the world's most incompatible browser).

If for no other reason, you should switch away from IE because of its numerous security holes. They are so severe that the US Department of Homeland Security has issued this warning about them: "There are a number of significant vulnerabilities in technologies relating to the IE domain/zone security model, the DHTML object model, MIME type determination, the graphical user interface (GUI), and ActiveX. It is possible to reduce exposure to these vulnerabilities by using a different web browser, especially when browsing untrusted sites." Caveat surfer! --Randy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RM_Drake Visit RM_Drake's homepage! Find More Posts by RM_Drake

Re: A dissenting voice...
Old 12-04-2004, 02:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39173
Send a message via Yahoo to LarryAB

LarryAB is offline IP: 68.52.144.79

One way to save an image is to click and drag to a folder. This works in Firefox even on sites that prevent a right-click save, like the Other Model Place. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryAB Visit LarryAB's homepage! Find More Posts by LarryAB