Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A quick heads up (XP Service Pack 2)
Old 11-13-2004, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 152.163.100.203

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I installed Windows XP Service Pack 2 last evening and it blew away my Photoshop CS activation. I'd heard that there were some problems connected with that security patch, but none of the talk was connected with PS CS. Live and learn ... lol

Naturally, no one at home at last night at Adobe and the automated Web process failed to correct the program's "death." So I call Adobe today and get to "enjoy" about 45 minutes of really bad jazz piano while waiting for the first available representative -- heck, I'd have taken the seventh available rep after about the second song! Finally get a human who tells me their activation servers are down and to call back after 3 p.m. PST

Arrrgh! Just loving living in the days of program activations ... lol

So a word to the wise. If you are updating your XP, be prepared to face the music. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Re: Ouch, but...
Old 11-13-2004, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35265

Lynn_in_VA is offline IP: 68.49.139.251

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ouch, bad experience. For what it's worth, I updated to XP Pro SP2 a while back without any problem at all, my Photoshop CS still was activated and working properly after the upgrade. However, I haven't been able to see the Main Forum on GG for months, get get a blank frame when I have my Norton firewall running, as I always do, go figure!

Lynn
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Lynn_in_VA Visit Lynn_in_VA's homepage! Find More Posts by Lynn_in_VA

Re: Ouch, but...
Old 11-13-2004, 12:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

hicspix is offline IP: 152.163.100.203

Ouch back, Lynn. I can still see the Main Forum here on GG, so at least we know Microsoft is correcting "some" of the conflicts ... lol The silver-lining in this is that at least I don't have a job needing to be cranked out this weekend -- so the loss of PS CS is more a hassle than anything frantic. Still, a bit troubling that you get to spend primo bucks for a vehicle that is basically dead in the garage.

Patiently awaiting the "get a Mac" reply here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks again, Lynn.
Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

OK you did ask
Old 11-13-2004, 02:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 165.121.128.57

Get a MAC [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

LOL
Old 11-13-2004, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

hicspix is offline IP: 64.12.116.203

Actually, I have a Mac. But my PS CS program is Win-based! Thanks for easing my anxiety on the "get a Mac" retort though ... hehehe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: A quick heads up (XP Service Pack 2)
Old 11-13-2004, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266

IIsassi is offline IP: 24.167.36.45

I'm curious about your PC.. Can you provide some basic specs as to brand and model??

I've installed SP2 on several machines that have PS CS and not had any problems at all.. It's been a mix of HP/Compaq, Dell, and Sony.

Thanks,
Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

Re: A quick heads up (XP Service Pack 2)
Old 11-13-2004, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

My pleasure, Israel.

I'm currently using an HP Pavillion 8700. I loaded up PS CS about a month ago and activated it via the Internet. Things worked perfectly until I loaded up the XP SP2 patch last night (ironically, I even opted to have Microsoft ship it to me via CD just to avoid any glitches like this).

When I loaded up PS CS for the first time after the XP patch I got a message that said I'd changed my system configuration and needed to validate the PS CS program again. Trying the Internet method I got the message that activation failed and to use the phone in activation. The automatic feature via phone also failed and I was turned over to a service rep. He told me that the activation server was down and that, yes, there is a problem with SP2 and PS CS activations. I was told to call back after 3 p.m. PST

A call at 4 p.m. PST yielded that the server was still down, that they had no estimate to when it would be back up. I requested to speak to a supervisor and was told none were available.

Not the best of Saturdays thus far. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dave

Whee!
Old 11-13-2004, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

I guess the third time is the charm. Well, technically it was my fourth call, but who am I to destroy a good cliche?

Right after typing to Israel I figured I may as well give Adobe another call. In less than three minutes I was speaking with a service rep who noted the server was back up and to try via the 'Net as he waited. The process worked as usual and I am once again chugging along. So apparently this trouble was a combination of the XP SP2 load AND the activation server being down.

Out of curiousity I asked this rep if there was a problem with loading SP2 and PS CS losing its activation. I got a "you betcha," from him and he noted a patch will soon be available from Adobe to correct both this and the loss of Help Files the SP2 load fouls up.

Now to find out what other little "gifts" installing the SP2 files has created for me ... lol

Dave

Re: Whee!
Old 11-13-2004, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266

IIsassi is offline IP: 24.167.36.45

Congrats!! I've been searching Adobe's website and haven't been able to find any reference to that problem.. I wish they would share their info..

According to Adobe, once PS is activated it attempts to verify the activation each time it loads. My firewall is set to block that and it hasn't been a problem.

They do have document that states you will get a reactivation request if if a file named ~e5d141.tmp is deleted.. Something to keep in mind..

Thanks for the info on your PC.. I'll keep it mind when working on other computers..

Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

Re: Whee!
Old 11-13-2004, 08:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Thank you too, Israel.

I had looked through Adobe's site too when the troubles first appeared and was disappointed not to find anything on it there (except for the notation about SP2 causing havoc on the help files). That's what prompted me to make this post in the first place -- so other are aware of it if/when it happens to them.

I'm just glad my 24-hours of frustration are behind me now, too ... lol

Thanks again!

Dave