Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Need Digital Recommendations
Old 10-18-2004, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.126.158.238

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Okay, I was just having a discussion with my dad yesterday about, you guessed it, digital Vs. film. We both shoot film, but it came up anyways. I don't want to start the usual debate on which is better, or the pros or cons about the two. What I need recommendations on is what is the best way(s) to archive, or back up your digital images. That’s one major concern of mine before I make the big leap. With film, you can always rescan the image if your comp crashes or gets nailed by a worm or virus. Of course, with digital, you don’t have to worry about scratches. Anyways, I’d love to hear what you all have to say.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Re: Need Digital Recommendations
Old 10-18-2004, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
jefferies

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.93.152.1

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Back up of images should not be a problem. You could use CD or DVD and keep those at a safe location away from your office, even a bank deposit box if you want. At the same time if you worry about damage to the cd or extra backup in case of fire etc you could have an extra hard drive and save the same files until that drive is full.When full just lock it up for safe keeping away from your other CD backup copies and start over with a new drive.Hard drive space is cheap, about $119.00 for 200 gig.That will hold a lot of images.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

While the hard drive is a good idea, I like the cd or dvd idea the best. I didn't even think of the safe deposit box, which is an added level of protection. Just curious, I have backed up various files, including image files onto cd's, and I've had a problem. The problem is that I'll burn the cd, and when I go to acess some of the files later on, I get an error saying something to the effect of "can't read from the specified device." This has happened with several different brands of cd's. Any suggestions on avoiding this? Of course the hard drive idea would work, but for me, cd's are just cheaper and more acessable. Thanks for your reply and thanks in advanced for any more assistance.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 10-18-2004, 09:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39259
Comments: 0

markee is offline IP: 64.109.133.250

Right now CD or DVD backup is ok but will you be able to read them 20 years from now?

Remember 8" and 5 1/4" floppies? How about all the different tape drives that were available.

Film shot during the Civil War can still be printed today.

MJ
  View Public Profile Send a private message to markee Find More Posts by markee

Old 10-18-2004, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

No kidding. Now Dell has stopped putting 3.5" floppy drives on the vast majority of it's computers. Great point. Even with hard drives, will all of these new formats (with WIN XP NTFS, WIN 95 FAT, WIN 98 FAT 16, WIN ME FAT 32) can the same be said for hard drives. When it comes to technology, it is always changing. There are what I call "Temporary Standards." Anyways, if I do backup on cd's or dvd's, I guess when some new, better technology comes out, I'll have to update.

Isaiah Brink

Old 10-19-2004, 06:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35723

Dman65 is offline IP: 63.243.17.130

Isaiah,

Most CD burning software I have used has an option to verify the CD once it has been written. Do you use this option? For something as critical as an image backup you should. It will increase the time a little more than double but is worth it. I usually burn at least two copies and then I test a few from the beginning, middle, and end just to make sure.When I test them I do it in a CD drive other than the burner just in case there is some sort of alignment issue.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dman65 Find More Posts by Dman65

Old 10-19-2004, 05:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
jefferies

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.93.152.1

I do work for a magazine with Mac computers.I use a PC. They sometimes have a problem reading my image cd ( tiff or jpg) in one computer and no problem in another. I am not sure if it is the burning software program(ahead nero) or the cd in the Mac is just acting up. This is why I suggested a back up hard drive plus the cd for images you must save.

Old 10-19-2004, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.248.102

All images can be lost! Many years ago I lost 20 years of negs and chromes from a broken water pipe while I was out of town. A couple of months ago I lost six CDs of images when my two six month old lab/Rotti puppies found them and ate them. The largest remaining CD piece was about 3 inches.

I had images on floppies, which I copied onto three inch disks, which I later copied onto Iomega disks and finaly onto
CDs. As soon as I get a burner I'll back them up onto DVDs. Sure, technology changes but a little time invested in copying solves the problem. Well, as long as you keep them away from puppies. But about that twenty years of images I lost from the broken water pipe, would CDs or DVDs have survived the flood? I think so.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Old 10-19-2004, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kurt_Gearheart

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.35.43.189

1. High-end DVD burner, burn onto 2 (master and back-up) highest quality DVDs, test both after burning, keep in separate locations.
Study the different standards for burners and media for interoperability issues.

plus

2. Transfer onto a high end high capacity deluxe-edition (250GB+) hard-drive for triple storage/ultimate protection.
Study the technology behind hard drive design, and make sure you get a 48bit addressing drive that gets past the "137 gigabyte barrier".

plus

3. Keep yourself current on issues relating to "file migration" (when current TIFFs etc become obsolete), and when needed convert old (lossless) file types into the new (lossless) file types.

Barring the gross physical destruction of your media (which includes improper storage and handling), these rules should keep you good for the next (ten + ?) years easy.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Oh, I almost forgot the most important thing.

The more ruthless you are editing and discarding images you really shouldn't keep, the less time and money you spend doing all of the above.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

What I do for backup.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35200
My Mood:

bsphoto is offline IP: 134.53.141.27

1) From Memory card to CD
2) From CD to hard drive
3) From hard drive to other internal hard drive
4) From hard drive to external USB hard drive
5) External Hard drive to work where I use the high speed connection to my web server (which has a big hard drive in it)

Yesterday I picked up a backup program to backup one of the hard drives to DVD, which will go in a binder on a top shelf away from small children and such.

DVD Burners are in the $70 range, no reason not to pick one up.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bsphoto Visit bsphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by bsphoto