Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Indoor lighting question.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35589
Comments: 0

LePhoto is offline IP: 69.68.129.184

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

How can I diffuse light from house lamps and/or construction hot lights to use for indoor shooting? I can get the room/subject nice and bright but it's pretty harsh and there is alot of shadows. Any suggestions? Please keep in mind I'm on a hobbyist's budget with no prefessional equipment besides the camera/lense LOL.
Thanks ahead of time.
Sean
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LePhoto Find More Posts by LePhoto

Re: Indoor lighting question.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39602
Send a message via Yahoo to Outside_the_Box_Studios

Outside_the_Box_Studios is offline IP: 209.237.52.118

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First off, this question sickens me to think that you have to use house lamps but everyone has to start someplace... so I give my 2 cents worth...

Try some thin sheets (not the expensive ones) and hang them to diffuse the light... a nylon sheet would be better but I'm trying to keep your budget down. find an art store that sells foam core in 4x8 sheets and put one opposite the source of the light as a reflector. This will give you a bit of diffused lighting and a reflector to put a little pop in the shot.

let me know how this works.... last time I tried it was in Germany in 1971... was a spur of the moment thing... LOL

Best of luck

Roger
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Outside_the_Box_Studios Visit Outside_the_Box_Studios's homepage! Find More Posts by Outside_the_Box_Studios

Old 10-12-2004, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 67.100.161.234

Bounce, bounce, bounce, BOUNCE!

Diffusers are all well and good, but they cost money. For real budget lighting, bounce the light off stuff you've already *got.* Mirrors. Walls. Ceilings. White shirt boxes. The more it bounces and the farther it bounces the more diffuse it will get.

You can think about diffusers too, though. Like the other poster said, use old sheets. Use waxed paper. Whatever. But keep it *off* the hot lights! If it gets too close, you could have some good old-fashioned *fire* light, which is probably a hotter light than you want or need. Not good. Not good at all.

Don't forget that the biggest blinkin' light of all is free for the using - look for open shade from sunlight. Use thin window treatments or put some gauze over the window. Etc.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Old 10-12-2004, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39602
Send a message via Yahoo to Outside_the_Box_Studios

Outside_the_Box_Studios is offline IP: 209.237.52.118

Good idea Marc... I never thought of the window cover ideass ...

Thanks!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Outside_the_Box_Studios Visit Outside_the_Box_Studios's homepage! Find More Posts by Outside_the_Box_Studios

Old 10-12-2004, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Forget the art store....go to Home Depot. It's a lot cheaper since it's not associated with "art". It's about $8 a sheet. I just picked up two 4x8 sheets myself. I bought the silver-sided stuff and it's great! Heck, you can even put wall paper on two of them, set them side by side and have an instant wall. Just overlap the paper a bit and use some clear, scotch tape to tack down the paper and you have an 8-ft, seamless wall with whatever wallpaper you want on it. And likewise, just put a different kind of wallpaper on the OTHER side and now you have TWO walls to suit your mood for $8.00.

As far as diffusion goes, I built a 4x8' "light bank" out of Sched 40 PVC. It cost me $11.00. I shoot my strobes into the light bank (strobes placed one high, one low so as to immerse the panel with light) and use barn doors to limit the light to the very edges of the light bank. Hell, with my budget, I have to scrape and invent all along the way. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Best wishes.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

A couple of thoughts
Old 10-12-2004, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35287

scottdial is offline IP: 152.163.100.203

When you say "house lamps," what exactly are you talking about? If you're talking about table top lamps, leave the shades on them. It sounds like your light source is too small, causing the hard shadows. Keep in mind that the smaller the (direct) light source is, the harder your shadows will be.

As for the construction hot lights, you might want to take a look at Scott Smith's diffusion panel at Lighting Magic . You could order his kit, or see what he's doing and make your own.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to scottdial Find More Posts by scottdial

A Small Disagreement
Old 10-13-2004, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

scottdial is offline IP: 152.163.100.203

Hey Marc,

While I agree with the overall content of your response, You mentioned a couple of things that could be missleading, that I feel need to be clarified, in the interest of helping everyone to improve.

Yes, bounce, bounce, bounce. But don't use a mirror. If the problem is hard shadows from a small light source, using a mirror will create hard shadows from two light sources, with the second, reflected, source causing harder shadows, because the distance has increased, causing the light source to get smaller.

Think about it. When you double the distance between your subject and the light source, you lose a stop. It's not because the light got dimmer, it's because the light source got smaller (relative to your subject). That's why when you have problems with spectral reflections, you should move the light source closer to your subject.

You also said something like the further you could bounce light, or distance, or something like that, the better. Once again, the further your light source is, the harder the shadows.

But you DID give me something to contemplate. What if you used one bare bulb strobe, sheilded from your subject for fill, and used a mirror to reflect the strobe for your main light?

This is what I love about photography.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to scottdial Find More Posts by scottdial

Re: A couple of thoughts
Old 10-13-2004, 08:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 165.121.131.162

his frames are basicly that same as the lightform frames started by dean collins... also seen made by calumet , photoflex and loads of others for various prices...i am gonna be making some of my own at some point
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Re: A Small Disagreement
Old 10-13-2004, 09:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 67.100.161.234

Quite right. I meant "use mirrors to redirect light for bouncing it off stuff," not "use mirrors as light sources." That doesn't help much.

When I said "bounce farther," what I should have said was "bounce it off more stuff."

So I plead mostly non-clarity with only a bit of ignorance. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As far as your hypothetical, unless you bounce it off something *else,* I think you'll have about the same result as if your strobe was where the mirror is, less some intensity for the distance and the mirror. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Re: A Small Disagreement
Old 10-13-2004, 05:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

scottdial is offline IP: 205.188.116.211

My thought was to allow the spill from the bare bulb to bounce fill from the room, and use the mirror to direct the flash as a main light. It might work if you get the right ratio by moving the mirror closer or farther away.

It doesn't take much to get me to go "Hmmmmm."