Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Can someone help with light setup
Old 10-09-2004, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39817
Comments: 0

ericnord is offline IP: 64.233.98.194

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey everyone,

I found this image (either here or onemodelplace) and thought I would try to achieve the subtle fall off of light. I have been working all night to duplicate it. I can tell it is only one light that is up high and camera right. When I tried my softbox at 45 degree from camera the angle was not dramatic enough and both shoulders were illuminated. When I moved it to 90 degrees from camera, about two feet from subject, the background lit up to much and the fall off was still not as smooth. In order to get light on the far shoulder, the close shoulder would be blown out.

I also tried my snoot coming over the shoulder into a reflector and still couldn't achieve it.

Where was the light, how far from the model, any modifier, reflector,etc.

Any ideas!

Thanks
-Eric
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ericnord Visit ericnord's homepage! Find More Posts by ericnord

Re: Can someone help with light setup
Old 10-10-2004, 12:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I would say it looks like a fairly directional softbox - perhaps with a honeycomb grid over it. Remember the basic rule of light, the closer it is to the subject, the more if falls off. To lower the contrast and get more even coverage, back it off. In this case I think you have your light in too close. Try backing it off a bit to say 4'. If the background starts to show up, that's easily solved by moving the model farther from the background and/or using a dark (black?) background to begin with, or possibly flagging it off. Also avoid the temptation to pump the contrast in a shot like this. This is a fairly full-toned image, some would say a bit dark on the skin (a little too much detail in the skin for my taste, unless it gets retouched), but notice the highlights - the dress, which was probably not white to start with because a white dress would have blown out. For this look, I used to use yellow or light blue clothes instead of white, because the clothes would inevitably become the whitest thing in the shot.

In this shot of Pamela Anderson from many years ago, she is almost wearing a powder-blue jacket, which is still washing out a bit (I do like pumped contrast, but would have preferred some detail here). But notice her skin, which was tan. As I said, the white would become too white and be distracting. I had to lights working here. One big (3.5'x8') softbox to her left for the main (no grid) about 4 or 5 feet away, and a plain reflectored flash head on the background aiming off to one side. You can see the light on her opposite shoulder and its still not blowing out her blonde hair. This was shot on Polaroid B/W slide film for the grainy look (and because it was "in" back then).

Just keep playing with it, you'll get it!

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 10-10-2004, 02:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 63.64.13.29

To me this shot does not look like it was done with a softbox. It looks like about a 16" parabolic high and to camera right. Probably with barndoors to cantrol the spill. But I'm still learning and I'm probably wrong!
Mark Harper
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 10-10-2004, 05:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.203.221

[ QUOTE ]
To me this shot does not look like it was done with a softbox. It looks like about a 16" parabolic high and to camera right. Probably with barndoors to cantrol the spill

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark,

Look at the shadow from her nose and from her left breast. See how the edge is not a sharp line but rather a fuzzy transition from light to dark (most noteable on her sternum)? While that doesn't necessarily tell us it was a softbox, it does give us a pretty good indication that it wasn't direct light (which is what I think you were saying, yes?) Also, check out the catchlights in her eyes... if you zoom in a bit, you'll see the catchlight appears to be rectangular in shape...

Wayne

View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 10-10-2004, 06:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.203.221

Eric,

Well, here's my guess, for what it's worth...

The softer transition of the shadow from her nose and on her sternum from her left breast makes me believe it's a wider and indirect light source.. softbox.. maybe even a windowlight. The catchlights in her eyes reinforce that suggestion... they're pretty much rectangular in shape, though the pixelization doesn't let you see too much detail when you zoom in.

Then, the shadow of the strand of hair on the left eyebrow and the shadow from her blouse onto her sternum suggests that it wasn't 90 degrees off to her left, but probably something a bit less... 60-70 degrees, maybe? Anything more would probably throw more shadow onto her right eye.

Andy nailed it on the background, I think... a dark background to begin with and she's not right up next to it, either.

Wish you remembered where you found it... would like to see some more of this photog's work. BTW - nice images on YOUR web site, as well!

Wayne
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 10-10-2004, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36987

martenag is offline IP: 213.140.6.102

Eric, this is a vertical softbox on the left up of the model at almost 45°. This kind of light is called "rembrant".
With the modeling light of the studio flash you can easily control the light before the shot.
Background is black! But, on the right side of the model at 45° you should use a black pannel which will not reflect any light on the model.
Also, note that the exposure is not an average between black tones and white tomes. To make the photo darker like this one, you should calculate the exposure on the lighted skin.

Hope I was of help to you.
Marco

My Site

View Public Profile Send a private message to martenag Visit martenag's homepage! Find More Posts by martenag

Old 10-10-2004, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member GG#: 39367

bruggemj is offline IP: 24.159.58.46

Since the top of her head is cut off(not a bad thing here), you wouldn't be able to see if she had her back against an outside corner(the pointy part) of a wall. We always think of back grounds as being flat and parallel to the film plane. If she was backed up to an outside corner, no light would fall onto the background to her right. The cropping is so close you don't see what back ground is on her left.

Heck, she could even be in a doorway. Just my thoughts as I am still learning. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Joe
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bruggemj Visit bruggemj's homepage! Find More Posts by bruggemj

Old 10-10-2004, 01:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38754

Paul_Illes is offline IP: 24.7.154.192

There are as many ideas as there are lighting schemes. What's confusing me is the Rembrandt lighting that shows on her face--the nose shadow and highlight on her right cheek--yes, but what is confusing is the shadow of her breast that is thrown HORIZONTALLY to her sternum. Now that's confusing. Two lights? I dunno, but I'm interested in somebody's coming up with the answer to that.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Paul_Illes Find More Posts by Paul_Illes

Old 10-12-2004, 06:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36987

martenag is offline IP: 213.140.6.102

No, that shadow is normal with that kind of light, it depends form the position of the bust of the model and from the size of her breast.
Also, to enhance the breast, you can even use the make-up or the photoshop.
Anyway in this case there is only one light.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to martenag Visit martenag's homepage! Find More Posts by martenag