Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Shooting RAW + JPG
Old 10-09-2004, 04:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.75.179.155

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I tried shooting in RAW + JPG mode on my Canon 10D. When I transfer the files, I only see the JPG file. Where's the RAW? (Note: I'm probably either doing something dumb or missing something obvious or both of the above.)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: Shooting RAW + JPG
Old 10-09-2004, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977
Comments: 0

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I think it depends on what you are using to view the thumbnails. I don't know if they show up in Canon's software (I would assume they would) but if you're like almost everyone I know, you're not using Canon's software (and the same goes for us Nikon folks too). If you use PS/CS with Adobe Raw Converter and the updated ARC definitions (free on the Adobe website) you should see them in the file browser. When I first installed PS/CS, the ARC list did not include my camera, the Nikon D70. After I updated the list at the Adobe site, it worked fine. It may be that way for the 10D as well.

I use ThumbsPlus for my quick browsing and its an older version which does not have the current digital camera raw converters, so I also see only the JPGs in that program, even though they're in the same folder. I don't know know if the update to T+ will have the new converter, but it doesn't matter much because I use the JPGs for selection and editing anyway. I have kind of a convoluted workflow on this, and am working on a better one. After I import all the pairs of files into folder, I re-sort based on file type using PS/CS File Browser, then select and move all the JPGs to a sub-folder. Then I run a batch command to re-number all the files in each folder, so they still have the same numbers (with something more interesting than "DSC_1234") and the proper extension. I do it before I delete anything so I'm sure the re-numbered pairs still match up. Then I can go use the PS/CS file browser to flag whatever JPGs I want to delete, but I don't delete them yet. I move them back into the folder with the RAW files, re-sort by filename (so the pairs are next to each other) and delete both the RAW and the JPG of the same image, using the flagged files as my guide. I then copy the JPGs back into the sub-folder and auto-resize them as I do, to a size that's easier for viewing by clients. These are also the files I burn to a CD for copyright registration. I'm sure there is a faster way to do all this, but I'm still working on it. BTW, this is one of the reasons I bought a new faster computer. My last digital shoot had 876 RAW+JPG images, and my camera doesn't even make very big RAW files.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: Shooting RAW + JPG
Old 10-09-2004, 05:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.2.102.144

The Jpeg is actually inside the RAW file. The viewer utility lets you extract it. I'm not sure what software comes with the 10D. The 1D Mark II comes with the EOS viewer utility. Under the File menu in that program you'll see the "Extract Saved Jpeg" option.

You might have Breezebrowser. But, there should still be a similar option in there for extracting the Jpeg from the RAW file.

Seems confusing to me to put the Jpeg in the RAW file, but there must be some reasoning behind it.

Re: I don\'t think so - corrected
Old 10-09-2004, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

Sorry to disagree Bret, but the JPG is defintely not inside the RAW file on most of the newer cameras, for example the Nikon D70 (mine) and the Canon 20D and 1D Mark II (according to a Canon friend). With these cameras, if you download your CF card (or whatever you use) you will see two seperate files for every frame you shot, one JPG and one RAW. They will both have the same filename, but different extensions. The JPG will end in ".JPG" and RAW will end it whatever your manufacturer decided to use. In the case of Nikon it ends in ".NEF".

I had originally thought all cameras worked this way (since none of my Canon buddies would admit that Canon had any problems) but I since checked and the embedded JPG seems to be something on the older cameras. I think Canon wised up and fixed it so now you can see the JPGs seperately from the get-go as I originally stated. Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 10-09-2004, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.128.130.209

The jpg ends in .THM and the raw ends in .RAW.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 10-09-2004, 09:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.2.102.144

Actually, we are both right. I ran a quick test on my 1D Mark II. If you read the card through a USB reader, you can see the two files (CR2, and JPG). However, if you use the EOS Viewer, you see only one file. And, you have to "extract" it from the RAW. So, it's a software issue it appears. I don't use PS CS, so I don't know how the plug-in handles this. I guess it all depends on your workflow and what software you use.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to disagree Bret, but the JPG is defintely not inside the RAW file on most of the newer cameras, for example the Nikon D70 (mine) and the Canon 20D and 1D Mark II (according to a Canon friend). With these cameras, if you download your CF card (or whatever you use) you will see two seperate files for every frame you shot, one JPG and one RAW. They will both have the same filename, but different extensions. The JPG will end in ".JPG" and RAW will end it whatever your manufacturer decided to use. In the case of Nikon it ends in ".NEF".

I had originally thought all cameras worked this way (since none of my Canon buddies would admit that Canon had any problems) but I since checked and the embedded JPG seems to be something on the older cameras. I think Canon wised up and fixed it so now you can see the JPGs seperately from the get-go as I originally stated. Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-10-2004, 01:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.75.179.155

I have a 10D and when i download the CF card i only see one file: the jpg. breezebrowser doesn't "see" the RAW file and neither does PS/CS. I haven't tried with the canon software cuz, since day one, i've found it too cumbersome to use and, therefore, haven't used it. so where's my RAW file??? the EXIF data says there should be one!

PS: on sets and locations i back up on a Smartdisk FlasTrax portable hard drive. the unit has an LCD viewer and it DOES see and display RAW files... just not when I'm shooting RAW+jpg. It only seems to see the jpg.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd