Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Question on Nikon/Canon SW vs. Capture One for RAW
Old 10-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39602
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to Outside_the_Box_Studios

Outside_the_Box_Studios is offline IP: 67.169.123.120

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm wondering how many folks use the RAW converters that come with the system they buy (i.e. Nikon or Canon) as opposed to the PS converter or the C1 software from Phase One.

I've used the C1 since version 1 and like the interface and the workflow. Since I shoot Nikon, I started with the Nikon conversion but hated the flow.

Comments? Suggestions??

Thanks,

Roger
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Outside_the_Box_Studios Visit Outside_the_Box_Studios's homepage! Find More Posts by Outside_the_Box_Studios

Re: Question on Nikon/Canon SW vs. Capture One for RAW
Old 10-09-2004, 02:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266

IIsassi is offline IP: 24.167.36.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I shoot Nikon but haven't found a real need for Nikon Capture. I shoot almost everything in RAW and Nikon View to batch convert to JPG and edit using Photoshop.

I tried a demo version of Phase One Capture but feel the same about it as I do Nikon Capture.

In my opinion, if you get the exposure and white-balance correct there is no reason for either Nikon Capture or Phase One Capture. I shoot RAW mostly as a safety since I can't actually edit that file I can't screw it up.

Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

Old 10-09-2004, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39602
Send a message via Yahoo to Outside_the_Box_Studios

Outside_the_Box_Studios is offline IP: 67.169.123.120

Hi Isreal,

How many frames do you process at a time? Do you convert all of them? I also crop and may do a small amount of correction in C1. I also convert to tif instead of jpg. Are most of your images used for web? Mine might go either web or print or both depending on what the client wants.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Outside_the_Box_Studios Visit Outside_the_Box_Studios's homepage! Find More Posts by Outside_the_Box_Studios

Old 10-09-2004, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266

IIsassi is offline IP: 24.167.36.45

Anything that gets shot RAW gets batch converted probably 99% of the time.. I've batch converted up to 350 RAW images at a time.

We try to shoot everything so that we can batch crop from the center. Sometimes we miss and have to crop a few manually. In either case, we do it in Photoshop.

I try to use the least amount of tools as possible. Less tools means less "personalities" involved. It also means that I can focus on really getting to know the tools I use. Unless I really screw up I can fix just about anything in Photoshop. If I can't it's probably a totally white or totally black image (a.ka. "art").

Most of what we shoot is weddings and portraits.. Our goals are to sell prints that they clients want will buy versus print competition images. We don't shoot receptions in RAW unless something really special is happening.

The weddings photos all end up on the web for online proofing unless the client tells us not to (it's happened). We also make a lot of prints that end up in wedding albums. A lot of our prints are anywhere from wallet size to 24" wide prints.

A lot of this stuff comes down to personal preferences and what your business requirements are. We use an Epson 7600 printer and ImagePrint RIP software, which want's everything in TIFF format so we convert to TIFF when printing. Yes, there are some extra conversions, which result in some quality loss but our customers are still buying the prints and our prices are about to go up again.

We're like most professional photographers. If you pay us we'll shoot just about anything. We also do some commercial work so we adjust as needed but so far we haven't needed anything but NikonView and Photoshop.

Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

Old 10-09-2004, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

All the pros I know use the Adobe Raw Converter in PS/CS rather than their own manufacturer's proprietary software. Some say its just as good, others say its better. None prefer the manufacturer's software. I don't know anyone using Capture One for 35mm.

BTW, you might have noticed an announcement by Adobe recently that they're proposing a universal RAW format of their own called Digital Negative (.DNG) with the idea being that all camera manufacturers would offer that format so there would be no more "Tower of Babel" of file formats.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 10-09-2004, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.203.221

I guess I'm one of the few using the Nikon View/Capture and then Photoshop workflow:

1. Suck the images out of the CF cards onto the laptop with View
2. Rotate as needed in View
3. After the shoot and after all the images have been downloaded onto the laptop, do any batch changes as needed (white balance, curves, etc.) using Capture
4. After all batch changes done, burn 'em to CD
5. Transfer the images onto the desktop for selection into the 'keepers', individual processing, etc. in Photoshop
6. Use PS to save the .PSD, big .JPG and web-sized .JPG image of the 'finished' images.

I tried the demo version of C1 when I was first getting started with my D100 but didn't find it to do much more for me than the View/Capture/PS combo. Still running 7.0 on all my machines (still running ME on my desktops), so I haven't had a chance to try the PS-CS product, yet. From what other folks are saying it might manage to change my ideas about what way to go.

Wayne
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd