Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Seamless Paper
Old 10-04-2004, 09:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38130
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to azragx

azragx is offline IP: 24.160.78.121

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey guys,

I have a few questions about seamless paper.
1.) What are some methods y’all use to keep seamless paper lasting for more than 2 or three shoots?
2.) After the shoot, what is the best way to roll them up?
3.) Then do y’all keep the paper back in the tube it came with or do y’all use rubber bands to keep the roll in place?

I thank you for your time and if you have any other tips or suggestions about seamless paper, I would love to hear it.

Y’all have a great day!

Alex
agarza@onibla.com
Onibla Studios

View Public Profile Send a private message to azragx Visit azragx's homepage! Find More Posts by azragx

Re: Seamless Paper
Old 10-04-2004, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.124.193

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Last more than 2 or 3 shoots? What are you DOING to this paper???? The biggest problem I have is heels -- and then I only lose the last few feet. It's a LONG roll of paper. I keep the short rolls standing over in the corner in case I need to tape some to the wall for some project... Loaned one short roll to an artist in another studio that was having movie night...

I have two paper hangers in my studio. I keep white on one and black on the other. I have three or four rolls of other colors over in the corner standing on end and leaning against the wall. Hasn't hurt those rolls in three years....

When I'm not using the paper, I roll it back on the tube. I usually do it ON the paper hanger and then slide it off already rolled up. I don't use anything like rubber bands or tape -- it just sits there fine all by itself....

Bob

Here's one of Amanda on the Crimson Red
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 10-04-2004, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.92

Well, for you can tape the bottoms of the shoes with gaffer tape to help reduce scuffing...and dirt marks..

If a section becomes all scuffed up... I just cut it off and trash it..

I don't often shoot with seamless on location where I hav e to transport it back to my studio.. I have a Bogan Auto Pole system that has this chain pully system on the side of it that brings it up and down with a simple pull of the chain... they are simply a pair of polls that tightly fit between the ceiling and the floor... they do however make bases for them so you can put them up even when you can't reach the ceiling.. ...You could try to "pull and roll" them up ....trying to keep the tension tight while rolling them up.. and then gaffer tape the end in 4 or 5 places... and hold it up right and pound the end a few times on the ground to get all the paper a little neater...(so it doesn't roll to one side which is pretty easy to do)..

For this job I have coming up, I am ordering a paper roll from Calumet...to be UPS'ed to the job location where I will be setting it up with my background support stand set...and when I am through with it, we'll either keep it there somewhere inside the tube...or trash it all together... It depends if there is enough left...and if the customer is interested in keeping it around for the next shoot...They aren't the most expensive thing to use...sometimes trashing it is the best way to rid yourself of it if you are offsetting the cost with what you are charging for it../ or charge them for it.. Unfortunately, I can't pack a 12 ft long roll on my car...even on top..or set it anywhere in my studio....without me tripping over it all the time.. (besides you can deduct the cost of it from your taxes) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

JP

Old 10-05-2004, 07:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35470

Mark_A is offline IP: 65.6.134.149

I bought a set of background holders and roller system from EBay ($28). It supports 3 rolls of paper and your cranly them up using plastic chain (similar to what JohnPaul has except the brackets mount on a wall or the ceiling)-- search on Background System. I typically get many shoots out of a roll of seamless unless we are doing something wild and crazy in the shoot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] If I ever get a "real" studio (something larger than my 22Lx14Wx8H I have used for the past 3 years)I plan to have a couple of the systems set up so I can have 6 colors ready to shoot at any time.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_A Visit Mark_A's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_A

Old 10-05-2004, 11:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35339

TimH is offline IP: 65.163.134.244

If you're using white or black paper there's something my friend Jeff Black turned me on to a while back that has worked pretty darn well...

Go to Home Depot and buy 2 4X8 sheets of something called "tile board"(I think that's the name) It's usually in the section with paneling. This is a fiber board product with a white enamel type surface on both sides. Grab a couple of cans of black spray paint(gloss).

Paint one side of each panel black, taking care not to let the paint drip over to the unpainted white side.

Now when you shoot, unroll your white or black seamless paper and then lay your new "floor panels" down on top of the paper.

This has worked well for me. Occasionally you have to clone out the seams between the two floor panels with Photoshop and very rarely do you ever see the edge of the back floor panel separate from your paper. This technique saves oodles of Seamless paper. I've been doing this for 2+ years now and only just last week did I buy a new roll of white and black paper. Of course, when shooting with colors other than white or black, this solution isn't the cure all obviously.

Hope this helps.

View Public Profile Send a private message to TimH Visit TimH's homepage! Find More Posts by TimH

Old 10-05-2004, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.128.130.209

Is that what gives you the reflection in this image?

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Re: Home Depot...
Old 10-05-2004, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35265

Lynn_in_VA is offline IP: 68.49.139.251

Very good idea, like the effect. Home Depot here I come!

The Tigress
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Lynn_in_VA Visit Lynn_in_VA's homepage! Find More Posts by Lynn_in_VA

Old 10-06-2004, 04:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35339

TimH is offline IP: 69.164.73.107

yup.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TimH Visit TimH's homepage! Find More Posts by TimH

Old 10-06-2004, 05:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.128.130.209

tanx
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 10-06-2004, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39173
Send a message via Yahoo to LarryAB

LarryAB is offline IP: 68.52.144.79

I've also seen a couple people use a sheet of plexiglass over the paper. It's more expensive, the reflection is "harder", but I would think it would work on colored paper.

I'm going to try your way though. I use white muslin rather than paper, only because I don't have a good spot to store the roll, but the wrinkles on the floor give me fits.

See you all at Home Depot....

Larry
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryAB Visit LarryAB's homepage! Find More Posts by LarryAB