Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Converting from Nikon to Canon
Old 09-24-2004, 02:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
RBP

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.58.183.42

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, the fact that the D2x is not full frame has made me question my continued reliance on Nikon. I have a ton of Nikon glass both big (300mm2.8, 200mm2.0, 500mmf4) and small and that lens investment is all that is holding me back.

The other shoe dropped with the announcement of the Canon 1DsMkII. Full frame and almost everything I'd wanted from Nikon.

The only places the Nikon D2x has better specs, is FPS (which I don't need as 90% of the time I'm using studio strobe or fill so 1 fps is all I shoot so the strobes can recycle) and Nikon's fairly acknowledged better AF system (which I don't use 90% of the time).

So, unless something big happens in the next couple of months, or I learn some negatives about the 1DsMkII, when the 1DsMkII hits the street, I may be selling off all my Nikon stuff and switching to Canon.

Re: Converting from Nikon to Canon
Old 09-24-2004, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.177

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Nikon better AF system??

I doubt it according to several sports shooters who I personally know....who have used the top of the line Nikon and Canon equipment.. Everyone who I talk to says that it is clear that Canon is the winner between the two..

Try renting out the 1D Mark II for a weekend.. be sure to try out the non standard function where you focus with the back button...which independently releases the shutter without causing it to AF on you.. I read a review on the older version of the 1D body and they compared it to the D1h ...but both cameras were set up in all default modes....not the way any ..(≈99% of professional action shooters) action photographer do.... Once you get used to it, there is no going back.....along with full time manual focusing on all of their L lenses...and on many of their non L lenses...including many primes, the independent use of AF from the shutter combine an "old school" photographer's dream camera.. The only real thing you will have to get used to is that everything on the Canon runs "clockwise".../ everything on Nikon is backwards.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

JP

Old 09-24-2004, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39452
Comments: 0

bjn70 is offline IP: 66.136.76.106

Lots of things to consider here...

1) Aren't there some full frame SLR's that accept Nikon lenses- such as Sigma or Kodak?

2) If you are shooting digital now and you switch to full-frame, then all your lenses would suddenly "change" their field of view, i.e. all of your lenses just got to be 2/3 as long as they were.

3) Some people don't think you NEED full frame, such as...
http://kenrockwell.com/tech/dx.htm
Ken is certainly interesting to read and not shy about expressing his opinion. There's probably another side to consider so if a person is willing to spend the $$$ for full frame who am I to tell them they are wrong.

4) There's nothing bad to say against Canon. One thing good about Nikon is that if you elect to switch then all that big glass still has good resale value and good demand on the used market.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bjn70 Find More Posts by bjn70

Old 09-24-2004, 06:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266

IIsassi is offline IP: 24.167.36.45

I have no issues with Nikon or Canon.. but I just prefer Nikon.. With that said, I would like to conclude with the following statement..

I am accepting all donations of working Nikon digital camera bodies, lenses, and flash units. I will give them names and a warm, comfortable home. The donated equipment will not lead a boring life.

Thank you,
Israel Isassi
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

Your not the only one....
Old 09-24-2004, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.82.238.27

Your not the only one doing this. I did it about 3 months ago. My friend in the UK, dpurslow, has just taken the plunge 2 weeks ago.

I just feel Nikon continously is playing catch-up for the last few years. No sooner does Nikon, Fuji or Kodak come out with a new digital body, Canon alone comes out with something that IMO beats them all in most features. Look at the new MK II coming out. Sure it has wireless like Nikon has, but Canon's is 802.11 b and g and can be tethered. I don't think Nikon's can do all that. Now that isn't an important feature for me (per say) but it's just an example of how Nikon doesn't complete its thoughts all the way thru.

Take the plunge, you won't regret it!

I did the same thing ...
Old 09-24-2004, 07:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.12.134

I did the same thing, but I did in in about 1977. Guess that doesn't count, huh?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Old 09-24-2004, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.80.84.62

I sent back free Nikon gear to go buy Canon. Seriously.

Of course If you ever read the Workshop Forum you will notice another reason I am Pro -Canon. And we should have a 1DS MarkII at our upcoming event for folks to play with.

The only thing that would make me switch from Canon would be getting my hands on the Phase One P25....first 25 mp digital backed medium format which is completly independent....no tethers....no external batteries....

Rick

It\'s the SYSTEM
Old 09-24-2004, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.124.193

My friend Jerry Brown always says -- it's the SYSTEM not the camera. That's so true. You know, Canon invented autofocus and they were the only ones that could make the sensor work on CMOS. Canon has amazing investments in their R&D. And the way that they put the 10D into the pipeline to make it available was pure marketing genius!

I shoot Fuji because I don't think anyone has better color. And I think the work that Fuji has done on their SR sensors is ground-breaking.

What's the deal with "full-frame" anyway? Does it make it "better" if it's "full frame"? Nope. It does take you back solidly to the 35mm paradyme.

I like Olympus and the 4/3 standard as an interesting direction. Seriously, haven't we all complained about the long, skinny frames from the 2:3 ratio in 35mm? Wouldn't we all really rather be shooting M/F or at least the 4:3 ratio? I would.

I'm waiting for the 4/3 standard to come out in a form factor that has a waist level viewfinder. Heck, I've even take a 1:1 ratio (i.e. 6x6).

Sigh!

If you're going to switch -- really do your homework on the manufacturers and where they're going.... you really only want to do this once or maybve twice in a career...

Bob

That long, skinny 2:3

And something 4:3
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 09-24-2004, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.126.158.19

I guess the big question I would be asking myself right about now is "are the advanatages of going to Canon worth letting all of my Nikon gear go to waste (for lack of a better word.) I personally don't like the Canon AF system, the internal eye movement thing is extremely annoying to me. But then again, you are shooting digital, so, the technology is going to be forever changing and improving, so might as well get a Canon, and keep all of your Nikon equipment and just get the newest camera that comes out so that you'll have all sorts of lenses at your disposal. I can pretty much garantee that either Nikon or Canon will come out with something new and exciting.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Re: It\'s the SYSTEM
Old 09-24-2004, 10:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.126.158.19

RJ, I thought it was Minolta that came out with the first autofocus back in the '70's? I could be wrong, but anyways.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink