Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Nikon #\'s on The D2x and the F6
Old 09-16-2004, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318
Comments: 0

JasonNJ is offline IP: 208.222.116.169

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Have been getting some calls today on hopes of pre-orders on the Nikon D2x and interest in the Nikon F6. Have in turn put in my calls over to Nikon and will hopefully be getting some more information on the non spec #'s for the new Nikon SLR's.

Will keep you all informed.

Glorified Unique Photo Counterboy

View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonNJ Visit JasonNJ's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonNJ

Re: Nikon #\'s on The D2x and the F6
Old 09-16-2004, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39602
Send a message via Yahoo to Outside_the_Box_Studios

Outside_the_Box_Studios is offline IP: 209.237.52.118

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Thanks Jason... hope they hurry and get their stuff together... am about ready to sell off my Nikon glass!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Outside_the_Box_Studios Visit Outside_the_Box_Studios's homepage! Find More Posts by Outside_the_Box_Studios

go ahead
Old 09-16-2004, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 66.121.188.233

They have a review and specs over on the Rob Galbraith site.

A few specs I remember:
1) has a 1.5 crop factor
2) 11.21 mp file size
3) 5 or 6 fps
4) has a 2.0 crop factor / 6mp shoot mode that will allow fps up to 8
5) price to be about $5k plus
6) should be out early next year

Not sure what current Nikon owners will say, but I'm still buying a Canon 1D Mk II
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Re: go ahead
Old 09-16-2004, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.82.238.27

I agree with you entirely. I got tired of waiting for Nikon and its partners to stay current with Canon. Nikon just always seems to be playing catch-up these last couple of years. I have moved away from my Fuji S2 to the Canon 1D MK II and haven't looked back since. It is a fantastic camera and you won't be disappointed.

Re: go ahead
Old 09-16-2004, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

Regarding the reference to Nikon's "partners" I was speaking with the local Fuji rep a couple weeks ago, and he says one of the reasons for the delay of the S3 is the negotiations between Fuji and Nikon over what features will be in the S3. Frankly if I were Nikon and wasn't ready to put out a top camera (maybe the D2x) yet, I'd be glad to have Fuji in there pitching to keep Nikon users buying Nikon lenses and not straying over to the other side. Sounds petty to me, but the rep says even they won't know what the feature sets turn out to be on the S3 until they see it in Germany. I'm as curious as anyone. I've got nothing agains Canon, but I'm not anxious to buy all new lenses, and once you do, their gear is all SO heavy.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: Nikon #\'s on The D2x and the F6
Old 09-16-2004, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 205.188.116.211

I found it interesting (and maybe a little bit telling) that Nikon is going with a CMOS sensor with this camera. Makes one wonder if it's a matter of playing catch up, or just a new philosophical approach on their part. I guess time will tell.

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

I agree
Old 09-16-2004, 11:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

I agree with you. But one thing that bothered me about the S3 is that it is still based on the N80 body. That should have changed. All I see is a camera with updated software and HOPEFULLY a wider latitude of maybe 1 stop. For most people that really isn't enough of a reason to upgrade your S2 to get an S3. Then since there was no indication of a D2X for any time soon, I jumped ship about 3 months ago. I was #13 (I think) on my vendor's list to get the MK II. The rich colors, much larger burst rate, better software, better metering, etc. etc. etc. Naturally came at a price but many are willing to pay the price IF they can get something for it. I don't see the S3 being enough for most to get a 2nd Fuji. I'd see more people looking for well conditioned S2. Still no announcement for the D200 (or whatever it would be called). My option now is a Canon 20D as a backup for my MK II. Not a bad backup if I say so myself. Now if only Canon can get the flash right with the 580ex I'd be a happy camper.

Re: I agree
Old 09-17-2004, 12:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

I think there are some significant improvementw from the S2 to S3 which you can probably read about at http://www.dpreview.com/articles/fujifilms3pro/. The ones that come to mind are use of only AA batteries (yes, I'd prefer a built-in rechargable, but I'm used to loading AAs into my F100 anyway), bigger buffer, faster connection, vertical shutter release, and the double CCD chip for extra detail in the highlights. Sounds like lots of improvement to me. I know pros who use the S2 as their only digital, and swear by it. And I'm not bothered by the N80 body. In fact, I like smaller bodies. The S3 is about 2/3 the weight of the Mark II, and that's not including those heavy Canon lenses. The downside to the Nikon bodies of course is that they don't have the full-size chips, but they can't and still keep the same diameter lens mount Nikon has always had. I like to keep an open mind, and I'm not an equipment freak, so I'm not saying "never", just not now.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: I agree
Old 09-17-2004, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

For all you mentioned, the only thing that seems big to me are the bigger buffer, double CCD and maybe the vertical shutter. I did read their review on dpreview.com but it was stuff we knew for the last few months already. I am not really expecting too much with the double CCD. To me its like the Fovean. It was marketed all over the trade mags then when it came to production it seemed a little better but not a significant improvement.

I loved my S2 and really debated getting rid of it and being a convert. Yes this rig is heavy. REALLY HEAVY. But considering what I was gaining (at the heavy price tag also) I think it was money well spent. A common Nikon phrase I notice the last couple of years, "Lets see what Nikon does" in relation to whenever Canon comes out with a new model. I just got tired of waiting when Canon seems to be delivering the features people want when they want them.

:) Muahahhaah
Old 09-17-2004, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318

JasonNJ is offline IP: 208.222.116.169

I agree, Canon good. Fuji S2 still great, but nothing on the Nikon mount horizon (dunno enough about D2X but pricetag should take care of the consideration part in the end I think) and I am still satisfied with the S2. But Canon is quite good [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Also I am just replying to get you to post more of your series with Sarah while I was busy on the couch watching TV [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

More of Sarah..... she should be a spokeswoman for Canon Digital SLR converts now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonNJ Visit JasonNJ's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonNJ