Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Kudos To Nikon.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38960
Comments: 0

DaveFoto is offline IP: 24.251.111.209

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have been photographing semi-professionally for about 10 years and I have shied away from the manufactures glass simply because of the cost but a recent experience has totally converted me.

I have a Sigma 28 - 70 MM 2.8 Pro Lens and a Tokina 80 - 200 MM 2.8 Pro Lens and I have always been very happy with them and for the most part I still am but here is where my story takes a turn.

I was shopping for a upper level lens that gave me more coverage than my 28 - 70 MM and I have been looking at the Nikkor 24 - 120 MM F 3.5 - 5.6 AF Lens for a long time but never wanted to part with the money until Nikon brought out the VR version of this lens and then prices on the non-VR version went into the basement and that is when I decided to purchase one for myself. I wasn't sure I would like the slower speed but it has not caused me any problems at all thus far.

For snapshooting I really couldn't notice much of a difference but recently I photographed a large Corporate event using my portable studio set up which allows me to precisely control the lighting and backdrop(s) in my area and I used my 24 - 120 lens and I have been absolutely blown away with the results from that lens. The images seem to literally jump off the paper at me and the quality and clarity is simple breath taking. I have received a number of compliments on my photos from that event. People have have asked me how much money do I spend on my equipment and what is my secret to which I just graciously take the compliments and keep on shooting.

Now after having experienced Nikon glass I am looking to trade off my other lenss for more Nikon glass and I have to say to Nikon: 'way to go, you have made a believer out of me!'

Just my 2 cents worth.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DaveFoto Find More Posts by DaveFoto

Re: Kudos To Nikon.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 67.126.234.250

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, that's what you get for buying quality products. Your paying for it, but that Nikon glass is top of the line. A lot of Carl Ziess glass gives Nikon glass a run for its money, but competition is tough at the top. Cannon is okay, towards the top, but not quite there.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 09-14-2004, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266

IIsassi is offline IP: 24.167.36.45

I have the same lens and the old version as well. The VR lens is noticeably sharper. And if you think that lens is good give 85 1.8 and 35-70 2.8 a try.. They blow the doors off the 24-120VR.. I've actually had to soften a few of the images from all three of these lenses..

Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

Old 09-14-2004, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39259

markee is offline IP: 64.109.30.51

I have tried several Vivitar and Soligar lenses on my manual cameras years ago and always liked the original Minolta Rokkars better. Even the higher end Vivitar Series 1 didn't compare in quality.

Always been a firm believer in buying OEM lenses rather than from companies that try and make one lenses fit all cameras.

If you're into photography to make a living then you need the quality of a Nikon, Canon or other OEM lense. As a hobbyiest that's another story.

MJ
  View Public Profile Send a private message to markee Find More Posts by markee

Re: slight disagreement
Old 09-15-2004, 01:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

I have to tell you, that after shooting almost nothing but Nikon glass for over 25 years, a few years ago I took the advice of David Mecey and bought a couple of lenses from Tamron. The 28-105mm f2.8, and the 70-210mm f2.8. I have had no problems with them, they are incredibly sharp with nice contrast when used with my F100. If you buy any of my recent calendars you will see images shot with these lenses (all on film). I have also used them with my new Nikon D70 and again, great results. In fact, I cannot remember the last time I put a Nikkor lens on my camera. OK, yes I can. 2 years ago I rented a 300mm 2.8 in Miami, but that doesn't count because it was out of alignment and almost everything I shot was slightly out of focus (it happens). All of my Nikkor lenses are (I still have them for some reason) fixed focal length. For parties, I did buy a Tokina 35-105 zooom many years ago, but it wasn't that great and I didn't use it for serious stock or people shoots. One thing that is important to me is to have a constant f-stop on the lens - none of this 3.5-4.5 stuff for me because I shoot in manual mode (mostly) and on film cannot afford to have my wide-open f-stop shifting on me when I zoom in and out. All in all, I would say the Tamrons are equal to the Nikons.

Shot on Velvia film, w/ Tamron 70-210mm at probably f4 @ 1/250 handheld, 6x6 reflector is only fill light. Model is Tamara.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Glass and digital...
Old 09-15-2004, 06:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 207.237.105.139

I for one don't think many people can ntotice the difference between a $500 lens and a $1,200 lens on a decent digital SLR. When I had my D1X, I often kept a Tamron 28-300 on there, and the images were superb. Light your stuff well, shoot at f/8 or higher, expose properly, and you'll be very pleased with your Tamron, Tokina or Sigma lenses [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My guess why?
Old 09-15-2004, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Marko

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 83.131.4.99

Because good images are good images regardless of sharpness and contrast.

I DO notice a difference between my $200 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 zoom and either my $1300 24-70mm f/2.8 or $300 50mm f/1.4 on my 10D (much more so than with film). Nevertheless, the image is everything, and except in certain circumstances, razor sharp sharpness/contrast and flarity really means relatively little. Of course, it's easy to soften an image (in camera) but to make it sharper you do need the better glass. Digi is more susceptible to the optical weaknesses of a lens because of the orientation of the transistors on a CCD (very strictly frontal). Any light that gets scattered within the glass will soften a digital image more than silver halides will soften it on film because the silver can "sense" light striking it at any angle.

Agree and disagree.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
RBP

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.58.183.42

I agree with Andy that you can get some good glass from third party mfgs.... but they often lack consistency. One particular model may be great, and another one from the same company suck. Make sure you get a lot of reviews and a loaner to test of the exact model you are going to buy.

Nikons are generally more consistant across the line (but they have had a few dogs).

I think 3hird party glass great for noncritical uses to. I personally makde good use of a Sigma 17-35D 2.8 zoom at a party on the Girls Gone Wild bus Thursday night. (grin)

I would also stay away from "super-zooms" of more than 2.5x between short and long extreme.

I also find Nikon's professional lenses are made to tighter tolerances... important to me to keep out the ultrafine sand blowing on the wind since I shoot a lot on the beach.

I do disagree when it comes to big glass. Sorry Andy had a bad experience with the 300mm 2.8 but I love mine ... along with the 200mm f2 and 500mm f4. Also Nikon's big glass are specifically desigend to be sharpest wide open... the 200mm f2 is as sharp or sharper wide open than any other 200mm at its sweetspot.

But again, your goals can dictate one over the other. My style and shooting runs towards one fantastic pic from a set, and not to a multi-image set or layout. If I was doing the latter, I'd use more zooms rather than primes.

Re: Agree and disagree.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35330
Send a message via ICQ to John_Chennavasin Send a message via Yahoo to John_Chennavasin

John_Chennavasin is offline IP: 68.5.194.184

Nothing wrong with third-party lenses, except the focus and zoom rings may rotate in the opposite direction.

I've had good experience in the past with the Tamron 90mm macro (then again, it's hard to make a bad macro lens these days).
  View Public Profile Send a private message to John_Chennavasin Visit John_Chennavasin's homepage! Find More Posts by John_Chennavasin

Re: Agree and disagree.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Hi Robert,

I've used Sigma on my Nikons for years (and Nikon as well) and I've never shied away from using my Sigma lenses on "critical" shots, versus "non-critical". Can you qualify what exactly makes a shot "critical" versus "non-critical"? In my opinion, any time I am on the clock, whether that is in my studio or out in the field, ALL lf my shots are "critical", though not all end up as "keepers." I have NEVER been disappointed with my Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 or my 24-70mm f2.8 and that is irregardless of whether or not I'm shooting still life or fast sports. The autofocus mechanism on my 70-200mm is ultra-fast and very sharp as well as whisper quiet. The same holds true for my 24-70mm.

Now, let me be clear...I definitely agree that Nikon glass is superior to Sigma but for probably a very high percent of what most photographers shoot, the clarity of the Sigma or Tamron is more than sufficient.

Side by side, I really can't see the difference between those shots taken with my Nikon lenses versus the Sigmas I own. Perhaps I was one of the fortunate ones who got a very good Sigma lens, while others may not have faired as well. My needs don't require me to shoot any higher than about 300mm so I can't comment on the bigger glass.

Good day!

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr