Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Pulling my hair out!!!
Old 09-12-2004, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.184

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey guess what,...I just learned that if I just so happened to catch the "Eacape" button in the upper left corner of my keyboard with my left pinky finger,....that it completely erases every Gawd dam thing that I just spent the last 30 minutes typing out!!!

OK.... let's try this again without triggering that stupid little button... (wish I could disable it...(where did I put my .22)..

F-it! I can't justify spending an entire hour typing out something...twice! basically, I was about to type out all the troubles I have been having with my Vegabond portable power system that I paid $500.00 for from White lightning...which I am opperating according to their specifications...and I am getting inconsistant exposure problems, inconsistant "pops"...where (when I first bought it)..it will dump 3 out of 4 times...and now, (yesterday) 1 out of 2 times....and now (today) it will pop and flicker until I shut it off by it's toggle switch.. I have tried all sorts of things such as trying out two different camera bodies, shooting with or without my Quantum 4i radio slaves...( where I plug right into a hot shoe adaptor or the sync outlet)..and all it does now is pop...and flicker ...and flicker...and flicker...like a disco light.. Any suggestions while I still have hair?

JP

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Re: Pulling my hair out!!!
Old 09-12-2004, 10:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36657
Comments: 0

That_Look_Photography is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I would try another sink cord and maybe plug the sink cord into another light and see what happens. Plug the equipment into another outlet. If you have an old outlet that may be not making a good connection it can fire the lights.

You may have done al that by now but thats all I can think of..

Mike
That Look Photo
web page
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography

Old 09-12-2004, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 24.128.126.246

what type of inverter does it use..modified or pure sine wave...that can make a difference...thats why the dynalite one is so expensive it uses a pure sine inverter...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Esc key in IE (and apps)...the warning and the solution[?]
Old 09-12-2004, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 216.232.133.96

Warning:
http://textware.com/board/itmainforum/posts/2025.html

Solution:?
http://textware.com/board/itmainforum/posts/2068.html

[this came from a Google search for "disable esc key"]

My suggestions to all...have a problem (any problem) do a Google search first. The answer you seek may not be apparent immediately and may require a few page scrolls but if it's 'out there' then Google can probably point you to it. And not to forget trying a few of the other search engines. They do not always have all the same stuff.

Richard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Re: Esc key in IE (and apps)...the warning and the solution[?]
Old 09-12-2004, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

Hmmm... looks complicated... I'm using a Mac..iBook... I'll look more into this.. thank you for the info!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

JP

Old 09-12-2004, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

Hmmm... I'll have to look into that one.... I'll find out more on Monday when I call them up and scream their ears off... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Old 09-12-2004, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

Yep... before I accidentally deleted my entire post earlier this morning, I went into detail of how and what I tried as well as what the results were... I think I covered all the bases.. I'll find out more on Monday.. when I call their CS dept....(and rant endlessly)

JP

Ahhhh, a Mac user...
Old 09-12-2004, 12:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 216.232.133.96

...sorry don't speak Apple. [g]

Good luck finding your solution.

Of course you could resort to taping something over it...or tape a tack upside down so you'll KNOW when your finger is on the ESC key. haha

Richard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Well, it looks as though I might have fired something..
Old 09-12-2004, 10:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.65

I have had this thing for about a month now...and have used it twice.. after the first shoot...at the beach when it was working "normally"...fireing 3 out of 4 times...perhaps because os a malfunction with my radio slave signal...not sure,...I took it back to my studio and recharged it....but apparently, I didn't turn off one of the "150 batteries" which according to the instruction manual, over charged the G.D. thing and "destroyed" the battery. Lucky for me, I only had one unit "on" and the other was off...so I disconnected this connection wire between the two batteries and am (in my studio) running the power off of the battery that works and it works just peachy..

The thing that gets me is that it is REALLY easy to make the mistake I made.. I wouldn't have minded paying more for a product that warns you of this.. However, I await the cost and time away from another thing that needs to go into the repair shop.. Let's see now,...377.17 for my 10D repairs...and replacing my ultra 1200 which will run roughly 600.00 plus this thing which will be at least 150.0...plus my 17-35L getting a new AF/MF switch...200.00....busting the [censored] out of my 70-200f2.8 L after some [censored] stepped on it while it was in my camera bag...and dropping it on the street didn't help matters... which will be about 350.00.....and my 28-70 f2.8L getting a new AF ring...232.00...and now I notice that the left side of the picture is slightly soft..which means that it will have to go in again.....this has been a costly Summer for me in terms of repairs / replacements... I hope I don't have to join the Men's hair club after this..

JP

I\'m reminded ...
Old 09-12-2004, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.0.240

I'm reminded of a comment by Aristotle or one of the old philosophers, "One is born, life sucks, then we die". Or maybe the 'philosopher' was my ex-wife or a bartender, I don't recall. But no matter. Your summer reminds me of a week I had not long before I retired from commercial shooting (connection?). It began with
Emma, my long gone yellow lab running into a light stand just after a shoot. The Novatron head was about 14 feet high and fell onto the hardwood floor like a tree falling in the forest. I watched it fall and could do nothing about it. Two days later, in the middle of a private commission, the client's foot caught the PC cord, which was connected to an RB67 I had just placed on the desk in my shooting room (my fault!). Again, I watched the RB67 with a pro level 135mm Canon lens hit the floor and bounce in about 4 directions. I picked it up and set it back on the desk, only to notice that the body now had a list of about 10 degrees; the prism was shattered, the front element of the lens was cracked. Nothing was repairable. The next day, a model friend had come by and while at my place needed to run an errand. Like a fool, I said take my car! Hey, she was a really cute redhead. So backing out of my garage while inserting a tape into the tape player, she ripped the right side rear view mirror off with the garage door. A couple of days later, a new shelf fell in my store room, crashing an antique 4x5 view camera (circa 1890) onto the cement floor from about 8 feet high. At the end of the week, a lady traveled to Atlanta from Seattle for a shoot. Two days of shooting and many rolls of 220 Plus X. Like a fool, I decided to try a new pro lab which had opened near my place. Their processing equipment scratched, chipped and otherwise ate the emulsion off of more than half of the film. They apologised.

Not long after that week I decided to retire. Sometimes it just sucks!

My place
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester