Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Color Film
Old 09-08-2004, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36660
Comments: 0

lsleelee is offline IP: 68.11.83.31

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just got my first Hasselblad and I'm trying to decide what films to try. I started in photography with a D1x so I know little to nothing about film.

Which color films do you use for photographing people? Nature? What are the merits and faults of various color films. What are the merits and faults of negative vs. slide film?

Thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsleelee Visit lsleelee's homepage! Find More Posts by lsleelee

Re: Color Film
Old 09-08-2004, 02:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.124.193

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Lee

I'm a big believer in Fuji Films. I just think the color is better.

I also like using chrome (slide) films when I shoot film. I use Provia 100F for most things. Provia also comes in 400. Occationally I use Astia -- it's supposed to have superior color fidelity. No bias to warm or cold.

Have fun -- nothing like looking at your first 6x6 transparency on the light table!

Bob

View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 09-08-2004, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37977

Sean_Armenta is offline IP: 68.67.185.86

yeah, i'm a fujifilm die-hard as well.

color print -- i either use NPS 160 or NPC 160. the NPS is more of a neutral film, while the NPC is an increased-contrast film.

slide -- i shoot on Astia mostly for people. though i love Velvia (both the 50 and 100) for everything else.

if you want to produce prints, you can shoot either. BUT if you shoot slides and want to print, the best way to do it would be to scan the trannies, then print it. which means added cost to you. if you're shooting and will scan it into a digital file anyway, you may as well shoot slides because they scan better than negatives.

sean
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sean_Armenta Find More Posts by Sean_Armenta

Old 09-08-2004, 04:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 165.121.129.21

Fuji NPC
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 09-08-2004, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

I tend to shoot a lot of Kodak Portra NC 160 and 400. It's skin tones are excellent and it's a very versatile film. I also shoot Provia as it is probably the finest slide film to be found. I think it has taken the mantle from Kodak Kodachrome for it's clarity and color saturation. It's wonderful!

Happy shooting!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

OK, I\'ll be different...
Old 09-08-2004, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Art
Film Dinosaur

Member GG#: 35716

Art is offline IP: 69.37.131.133

Hi Lee,

A new Hassey, eh? Doesn't that it just feel so good in your hands? When I got mine two years ago, I could not put it down. My Nikon has barely seen the outside of a LowePro!

OK, enough of me reminiscing...I use Ektachrome 100G or 200G for outdoors stuff and Fuijichrome Velvia 100F for studio stuff (when I ever have time for it). The Ektachrome is an awesome film for deeply saturated colours. This is slide film so you will half to get your exposures correct each time, more or less.

For black and white pics, I like Ilford Delta 3200 for grainy pics and Scala 200X for B&W slides.

I can tell you honestly, I have never shot colour negative film on my Hassey. I find the slide films more versatile for getting prints. I can get both digital and Ilfochrome prints from them. Plus they just look awesome on a colour corrected light table.

My $0.02 worth from a passionate hobbyist.

Art.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Art Visit Art's homepage! Find More Posts by Art

Old 09-08-2004, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.148

Everything depends on your lab.

You don't process Kodak in Fuji Chemistry or vice versa. For best results anyway. These two have specifically designed their films with their chemistry for maximum results.

Each professional film has it's purpose.

In general I like Fuji for color to snap. I like to use Fuji for nature and wildlife and lifestyle photography.

For skin tones it just has to be Kodak Portra Films.

I like Provia from Fuji for Chrome film over all.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 09-09-2004, 12:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

I just have to ask, why would you buy such an expensive film camera, when you don't even know what you're going to do with it? (If you knew what you were going to do with it, you'd know the answer to the most basic part of your question - neg vs. slide). What if you don't like shooting film (it is more challenging than digital, and some would say a step backwards)? Traditionally, neg shooters have been portrait & wedding people, chrome (slides, or in Hassey size "transparencies") shooters are the commercial (for publication) side. There has been quite a bit of one-sided crossover in the last few years (mostly commmercial/fashion guys shooting neg) the choice of materials should always be dictated by the end results you desire.

As a commercial photographer (for advertising, publishing, etc) I've only shot chromes. This dates back to when negs (and their prints) were very difficult to scan for publication. While technology has come a long way, and many fashion & glamour shooters now use color neg, which they scan, retouch, print, and send out for publication. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a portrait & wedding photographer who shoots chromes because, besides a few other things, of the lack of latitude in exposure, and the need to get the color right at the get-go, something that can be tough under the shoot-from-the-hip style of weddings. Negative films are more forgiving in both exposure and color rendition. Chromes were traditionally used for publication because they were more easily scanned on drum scanners (I don't know why negs were harder to do, but they were). Also, you had the advantage of having a positve example of what the image was supposed to look like, and not having to worry about keeping track of a neg & proof of each image under consideration. Also there is the matter of cost. Processing a roll of 120mm chrome at a pro lab will cost about $8 here in LA, while the same size in negative would add the cost of some kind of proof - prints, proof sheet, or ??? which would be extra.

While you can take other users recommendations as a starting point (I use Fuji chromes almost exclusively) play with various types until you get familiar with them and can decide what type is most appropriate for what you want your images to look like. Bear in mind that higher ISO ratings usually mean more grain, films (epecially chromes) can be push processed to get a higher effective ISO, or more grain, or more contrast, and/or they can be cross-processed. Also, unlike shooting RAW digital, once its shot and processed, its done. If you're shooting chromes, ask your lab to explain "snip" or "clip" tests, to preview your exposure. Ironically enough, you may now also want to invest in a film scanner (there are only a few, around $1600, for 120mm transparencies). There are some good flatbeds with light sources in the lid for scanning film, but they're generally not as good as dedicated film scanners.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 09-09-2004, 12:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 67.126.234.250

Personally, I like any Kodak film over any Fuji film for a couple of reasons. For instance, Fuji film to me has way too much saturation especially towards the blue end of the spectrum while Kodak films aren't as saturated, they tend to lean towards the red end of the spectrum, which when shooting portatits, are easier to stomach than having blue tinted skin. When it comes to landscape, once again, same reasons. That's my 2 cents.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 09-09-2004, 09:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36660

lsleelee is offline IP: 68.11.83.31

Well actually it's a 20 year old EL/m and I got the camera, 220 back, and a 45 prism for a mere $650. Appreciate the extensive insights tho.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsleelee Visit lsleelee's homepage! Find More Posts by lsleelee