Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Warming FIlters for Digital?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.75.179.155

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

How many of you use optical warming filters (81 or 85) while shooting digital rather than relying on PS's warming filters? If so, why do you prefer to do so? i.e., do you see a difference between using optics vs. software or is it just to see the results while shooting?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: Warming FIlters for Digital?
Old 09-07-2004, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 24.54.5.54

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

If I want a warmer image right out of the camera, I just set a warmer white balance. I usually use a product called Warm Cards to set my white balance. If I had a camera like the 10D or equivelent I would just set a warmer white balance directly in the camera without doing a custom white balance. Personally I find no use for optical warming filters with digital.
Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 09-07-2004, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237
Comments: 0

dynamike is offline IP: 69.128.129.84

I typically warm up my photos in camera. I shoot with a 10D and can easily change the color temperature with a custom WB setting or using one of the presets, ie use cloudy on a sunny day to warm it up. I also shoot RAW, so I am able to change the color temperature post production with no image quality loss. Exposure isn't so forgiving. It still helps to get it right in camera, but when viewing the images, I usually warm or cool them down just a little bit. So, I guess I do a little of both.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 09-07-2004, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36266

IIsassi is offline IP: 24.167.36.45

I do it in Photoshop... I have more control..

Israel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IIsassi Find More Posts by IIsassi

White-balance at 6000K or Warmcards.com
Old 09-08-2004, 01:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.25.69.209

The one thing to remember, the lens on your camera is only as good as the last piece of glass on it--a $5,000 lens with an uncoated filter is like a $5 lens. I'm not saying you're using uncoated filters, what I'm saying why use a glass "colored" filter on a digital camera? Even in shooting film, select the warmer emulsions.

On my Olympus E-1 I can dial in the white-balance to the exact kelvin degree, by setting it at 6,000 K, I'm telling the camera my light source is cool, when in fact if I'm shooting with a daylight source, the camera is "fooled" into believing the light is "cool" so it naturally warms it up. You can also shoot in the RAW mode and "assign" the correct color temp later.

Finally, the coolest way, no pun intended, use the Warm Cards found right here on GG...thanks, rg sends!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 09-08-2004, 08:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 12.217.181.127

I guess I'm odd man out. I white balance the camera to neutral and then I use high-quality glass filters to warm, soften, etc. I guess it is a throw back to analog days, but it prevents me from having to re-WB for different temps and it saves times in post production. Most of my shoots are for family, seniors, etc., so I don't want to have to spend as much or more time adjusting all images that I will show them than I did to shoot them. That is my workflow. You should pick whatever suits your needs.

Mark Oehler
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler

Old 09-09-2004, 12:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 67.126.234.250

Personally, I would shoot the pic as close to neutral as possible, and then use photoshop for any color balance change just so that you still have the original file to go back to that dosn't have any changes on it.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 09-09-2004, 03:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.75.179.155

thanks for everyone's input. my question originated because one of the photo magz, it might have been shutterbug (i'm not sure, i read so freakin' many of them), published an article recently and in it the writer recommended optical warming even for digital. So I thought I'd see if anyone here's doing that.

i also shoot with a 10D as some of you mentioned.

much of what and when i shoot is connected to a video shoot where i am usually the DP and also I'll shoot stills. my lighting guy always has a color meter handy so i can check exact color temp whenever i want... and then, of course, dial it in.

personally, i don't use warm cards. instead, i'll sometimes use a 1/8 blue gel in front of the lens while shooting a white card... if i want an even a warmer image, i.e., overly warm, i can use 1/4 blue. this is essentially the same as using warming cards. it's the same process when warming the video cameras (which, these days, are usually digital). in video, we're often mixing light sources of varying color temps. for instance, we might light most of an interior set with tungsten, but use HMIs (daylight hotlights) for an edge or blown through a window to emulate the look of exterior daylight. some of the tungsten is gel'd with varying colors for effects. color correction in video post is more labor/skill intensive than with still photography (PS), so we work hard to nail down the color temp where we want it. I sometimes shoot stills without filling with a strobe, i.e., using the set's continuous hot-lights, so i'll go with whatever we went with for the digital videocams.... color temp-wise... which is often tungsten (for the key) for interiors.

Course... shooting in RAW, as some of yu noted, makes the color temp process nearly fool-proof.

View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd