Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Buying from Ebay? (grey market issues?)
Old 08-23-2004, 10:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.173.95.59

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi all, I am currently in the market for a camera. (a used one for that matter) I have mainly been searching on Ebay. (mainly because I have a limited budget to work with)

I've read several times about how people don't like to use Ebay because of all the grey market cameras on there.

Any tips on buying from Ebay, or possible alternate resources?

Re: Buying from Ebay? (grey market issues?)
Old 08-23-2004, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195
Comments: 0

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.124.193

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Back a few years ago I bought a number of pieces of M/F equipment on eBay. All of it was as described, a good price and still works like a charm today.

One of the first things I did was to research each of the sellers. Look at the comments on them. See who was happy / unhappy. Do a whois? search on their domain names. Google their names and anything else you can find on them. Send them a note to ask them a question on the cameras and see what the route trace is on the message.

Second, know what you're buying and what you want to pay. You can go to keh.com and look at lots of used equipment. With prices and descriptions. Sometimes the stuff at keh is cheaper than eBay! Check the used section of B&H as well. Never can tell what you'll find.

Pay by credit card if you can. That way, if there's a problem you have a third party to go back to.

That's the top three thoughts. One thing for sure -- be ready to walk away from the auction. If you see one guy bidding you up -- check and see if you can find any relationship between them and the seller.

Best of luck

Bob

BTW -- you can check the classified here on Garage Glamour. Never can tell what you might find there, either!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 08-23-2004, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35470

Mark_A is offline IP: 65.6.134.149

I've bought a bunch of things on EBay including my D1X, Fuji S2 Pro, and Novatron Lighting equipment. The key on EBay is to buy from someone without negative feedback and someone who is authorized to sell the brand. I've had great luck so far by buying only from people in the US (since I live here and want a US warranty) who were either dealers or independent sellers who can offer a warranty. I research the price compared with Cameta Camera, B&H, and a few others before I place a bid.

Good luck!

Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_A Visit Mark_A's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_A

Old 08-23-2004, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36366
Send a message via Yahoo to sharfman

sharfman is offline IP: 66.210.170.241

I have bought both camera and studio equipment used on EBAY and been very satisfied. All the advice you have received on buying from good sellers is excellent but I am a bit more lenient. I use as a rule of thumb only buying from sellers with feedback ratings of at least 99%. Large volume sellers are bound to tick off a few people so looking for folks only with 100% ratings really limits the universe of sellers. It is critical to look at why people got complaints as was said above as well as how they respond.

As for the grey market issue, that mainly is only a problem with new stuff as buying grey market usually means you get the same equipment without an US warranty. You have to be careful with electronics that they are actually US standards but if the seller is US based that should not be a problem either.

Finally, B&H is a good place to check new prices as well. I have been in auctions where I was out bid by some fool who paid more for a used piece of equipment than B&H was selling it new. As another rule of thumb, I try not to pay more than 75-80% of the B&H price for something used on EBAY. Hope this helps. There are some scam artists on EBAY (I have been scammed twice) but usually it was at least partially my own fault. When I am careful, do my homework and control my urge to have something at any price, I have been very happy.

regards

mark sharfman
  View Public Profile Send a private message to sharfman Find More Posts by sharfman

Old 08-24-2004, 02:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39602
Send a message via Yahoo to Outside_the_Box_Studios

Outside_the_Box_Studios is offline IP: 209.237.52.118

I had some luck on e-bay for lighting but would never buy a camera there. my fav is KEH in GA. they rate the equipment and do a GREAT job in my mind. i've never bought anything there that I was not happy with. Check www.keh.com... great folks to work with. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to Outside_the_Box_Studios Visit Outside_the_Box_Studios's homepage! Find More Posts by Outside_the_Box_Studios

KEH.com
Old 08-24-2004, 02:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37178

ChristopherKern is offline IP: 216.249.94.16

I would have to agree on checking out KEH.com, their used equipment is very high quality and I would trust them over anything on Ebay. Just my 2 cents...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChristopherKern Visit ChristopherKern's homepage! Find More Posts by ChristopherKern

Another vote for KEH over Ebay ..
Old 08-24-2004, 04:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.93.185

Until I retired, I ran a commercial studio with gear mostly from KEH. In my experience, their best bet is with their 'BGN' (bargain) rating; good prices and a serious return policy. They are at KEH I've done business with them for many years and never had a problem which was not immediatly resolved.

My place
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester