Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
colorplus monitior calibration
Old 08-19-2004, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37785
Comments: 0

mrdinh is offline IP: 24.19.215.74

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

has anyone tried it?....after the calibration...i don't see a difference...what am i doing wrong?...help thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mrdinh Visit mrdinh's homepage! Find More Posts by mrdinh

Re: colorplus monitior calibration
Old 08-20-2004, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.124.193

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

One suggestion -- after you create a new profile for the monitor, you have to go into the monitor controls and load the new profile. If this is Windows, right click on the blank screen, select "Properties" and it will bring up the monitor controls. Click on the "Appearence" tab and click the "Advanced" button. On the next pop up, select the "Color Management" tab. There it will list the profile you're using. If it's not the new profile name, there's an option to locate and load a different profile.

If you're using the new profile -- well, maybe your monitor was pretty clsoe to begin with! Now you have to set up the printer profile...

Bob

View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 08-24-2004, 12:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 216.232.133.96

I, too, purchased the calibration package and while I've read some disparaging reviews of the package I figure anything is better than trying to 'eyeball' the monitor.

I have seen some changes but am unsure if I'm getting it just yet as my monitor is so old (at least 4 years) that I simply cannot tweak the contrast/brightness dials any more that I can.

Have I thrown away my money? Don't know but I'm hoping that a purchase of a new monitor will give me the same results as you...not being able to see a difference. This, in my estimation, seems to say that your monitor is okay as it is.

Richard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Old 08-24-2004, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35330
Send a message via ICQ to John_Chennavasin Send a message via Yahoo to John_Chennavasin

John_Chennavasin is offline IP: 68.5.194.184

Most of the calibration packages involve turning down the monitor brightness in order to obtain correct color calibration. The monitors will lose brightness as they age.

Unfortunately, the cheaper ColorVision package still involves eyeballing in order to set the brightness level.

The ColorVision products do not work well with CRT monitors that are older than one year or LCD monitors. The profiles produced by it will be inaccurate (the skin tones will look "off").

Also, you will need to let the monitor "warm up" for about 30 minutes before you calibrate it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to John_Chennavasin Visit John_Chennavasin's homepage! Find More Posts by John_Chennavasin

Old 08-24-2004, 11:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 216.232.133.96

[ QUOTE ]
Most of the calibration packages involve turning down the monitor brightness

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually in the case of the colorvision it needs both contrast and brightness cranked up...or perhaps that's only my monitor? In any case I've cranked both and I can't bring up the brightness by itself. Now my video card can be tweaked but I'm not sure that's the way to go either. But no matter what, my monitor is definitely showing its age. Oh well.

The other 'better' calibration packages I've seen are WAY out of my league...money-wise.

You know, all the photography mags and many sites on the Internet tout the Digital Cameras as the way of the future. What they fail to say is that, in order to have a decent digital darkroom, the enduser is going to be paying through the nose for computer hardware and software above and beyond the cost of the DSLR and Lenses and Filters and, and, and....

Perhaps its time to find that old Brownie I once used about 40 years ago?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Richard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Old 08-25-2004, 01:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35330
Send a message via ICQ to John_Chennavasin Send a message via Yahoo to John_Chennavasin

John_Chennavasin is offline IP: 68.5.194.184

The Eye-One software calibration process first asks the user to set the contrast to 100% and then take measurements. Once that is done, the user is then asked to set brightness to 0% and take a measurement. The software then asks the the user to increase the brightness and take another measurement. This process is repeated until the correct brightness is obtained.

The brightness on my monitor is currently set to 59%.

The Eye-One Display is $249 (I think Chromix is selling it for $200).
  View Public Profile Send a private message to John_Chennavasin Visit John_Chennavasin's homepage! Find More Posts by John_Chennavasin