Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
CD\'s
Old 08-14-2004, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39147
Comments: 0

bobbo is offline IP: 24.117.19.57

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am trying to get into photography on the side and as a hobbie. I jsut got my first digital camera D100. I do have a question about the cd's that are give to the models after a photo shoot. Are they formated on the disk any speceal way or are the just touched up and loaded on a disk, is it all the frames shot or a select number.

first time post
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bobbo Find More Posts by bobbo

Welcome to GG! :)
Old 08-14-2004, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.201

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

[ QUOTE ]
I am trying to get into photography on the side and as a hobbie. I jsut got my first digital camera D100. I do have a question about the cd's that are give to the models after a photo shoot. Are they formated on the disk any speceal way or are the just touched up and loaded on a disk, is it all the frames shot or a select number.

first time post

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, personally speaking, I don't do a TFCD...when it's my project that I am doing and the model gives up her time in my presents, I do what is called a "release" ...some may call it T.F.R. which is "Time For Release.... I make out the agreement and release in the terms of a momotary amount...rather than just putting down a relative term such as "time"...or "pictures".....but a $xx.xx amount so that it is clearly understood that what they are getting for compensation is that dollar amount...and if I decide to provide any pictures.....(which I always will do) I will be the one selecting which pictures, and how they look, to the model...and nope, they will not get the full or high resolution images simply because I have had experiences with models submitting my work to places and suddenly seeing my pictures on other websites..or in publications which didn't go to me for my permission to use them.

If someone wants a few prints from the shoot, I will gladly have them printed by my lab....a professional lab, not the department store, ...I will ensure that they are getting a good product in the form of a portfolio print..which will have my © tag on the front and back.. My lab automatically prints "Professional Photograph © John Paul Greco" on the back of each print.. If the model has a problem with my terms, tuff. There are many other models to choose from. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I really have a problem with those who print my pictures on their inkjet printers.... if they attempt this with a low res. file...like one made for the web @ 550max ppi, they will end up with a crapy looking image... but if I give up a high res. image, they are free to make it look how ever they want which underminds my intellectual property rights. For one, I retouch everything in some way...some more than others...and I do this to ensure that both the subject and myself are well represented in the photograph that I took.

You might want to clearly think this through before just handing out a CD after a shoot ....if that was what you had in mind..

Yep! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Re: Welcome to GG! :)
Old 08-14-2004, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39147

bobbo is offline IP: 24.117.19.57

Thanks John Paul
No the CD's are not for a form of payment. But to go with a package deal.

Thanks again
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bobbo Find More Posts by bobbo

A Couple of Things About CD\'s
Old 08-14-2004, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.124.193

If you're producing the CD's on a Windows machine, do NOT let Windows write it. It will end up being a Windows extension and not readable by Macs and possibly other Windows machines. Most CD writing programs come with an option to produce a "Data CD." That's the option you should use. It produces an independent CD of images that should be readable by anyone.

As far as the content on the CD -- that's up to you. I know some models ask for a CD of the raw images unprocessed -- but lots of models can't do Photoshop very well. Some people only give the models internet-sized images so that the model can't use the images for commercial purposes without asking the photographer.

Personally, when I do a collaborative shoot with someone or when I deliver a client CD, I include large size images that have been edited and small size images for the internet. Some models just do not have the software to resize images.

Whatever you do, make sure that you clearly communicate what you're going to provide before the shoot -- or ask the model or client what they want.

Have fun!

Bob
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren