Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Bags under the eyes
Old 08-04-2004, 11:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237
Comments: 0

dynamike is offline IP: 69.128.128.16

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I shot Michelle on Monday. We spoke after she reviewed the pictures and one of her first words were that seh didn't like the color under her eyes, which I took to mean bags. She was tired after not having slept well the night beofre and had noticeable bags under her eyes. While she attempted to do a good job hiding them with MU, you can still see them a little. She said that the light could have been modified to correct this. Is this some studio lighting trick I don't know about? Or, will I have to PS the images to get rid of them after the fact?

Any input?

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Re: Bags under the eyes
Old 08-04-2004, 11:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 66.68.34.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

When I have models with bags or dark circles. I place a front light below eye level shooting into the eyes. It lightens the area under the eyes.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 08-04-2004, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.56

If I want to do a certain lighting effect....and don't want to modify my light for their bagy eyes .....and it's my project, I tell the model to get plenty of rest before the shoot... or of they show up like that, have them rub Preperation H under their eyes..and wait 30 minutes before shooting...which they can spend laying down and power napping.... Otherwise, send them home and hire someone more responsible..

My tip and 2˘

JP

Old 08-04-2004, 12:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37977

Sean_Armenta is offline IP: 68.67.185.86

well, in the real world, where things are less than ideal, just use PS. not sure what version you have, but if you're using at least 7, just use the patch tool. it takes all of 5 seconds.

sean
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sean_Armenta Find More Posts by Sean_Armenta

Old 08-04-2004, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

JP,

I appreciate your advice and am actually flattered by you choosing to post your input for me. Unfortunately it's not always that easy. I wish it were, boy do I ever. This shoot was for the model BTW, so it's kinda hard to send her packing on this one. The Preperation H thing is an idea. It doesn't hurt, sting, or anything like that?

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 08-04-2004, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks Mike that was exactly what I was looking for.

Mike

Old 08-04-2004, 02:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Sean,

I really appreciate your advice. I'd like to think I know a little about Photoshop, but the move from 5.5 to CS has been huge for me and I'm picking up new stuff all the time.

I went back in and played with some colors and vignetted the raw image. Then I made a seperate layer and patched the are under the eyes. What do you think?

Mike

Old 08-04-2004, 02:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37977

Sean_Armenta is offline IP: 68.67.185.86

that's the ticket...

a couple of tips when using the patch tool -- after you draw out your area, go to select>feather and depending on the size of your file, put in 2-10 pixels. this will soften the edges of the demarcation. also, whenever you're doing any sort of retouching, it should always be to a high-res file.

after you've healed the area, you may want to fade the effect. go to edit>fade and play around with the opacity. it helps the retouch blend into the rest of the image better.

sean

View Public Profile Send a private message to Sean_Armenta Find More Posts by Sean_Armenta

Old 08-04-2004, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Sean.

Old 08-04-2004, 03:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.56

[ QUOTE ]
JP,

I appreciate your advice and am actually flattered by you choosing to post your input for me. Unfortunately it's not always that easy. I wish it were, boy do I ever. This shoot was for the model BTW, so it's kinda hard to send her packing on this one. The Preperation H thing is an idea. It doesn't hurt, sting, or anything like that?

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... Yep....that's why I mentioned that if it's my project...kick her ass out.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] but, since this was her deal... oh brother,....she couldn't have prepared for her big day the night before... first of all, it ain't your dang fault...nope sir.. The lighting could be more "flatly" lighted...as well as placing a reflector under her face...or placing your lights lower than your regular portrait height.....personally, I can't stand that type of lighting... but, what are you goinjg to do... it's not like you have to display her photos in your book anyway... if she wants to take advantage of "bag light" then that is that.... otherwise, there is a "fix" you can do in photoshop...with the "Healing tool".. it is found in versions 7 & CS .....however, I have seen botched "healing" jobs recently....because it can change the shape of the face.. ...but being the traditionalist photographer I am... what I mean by that is... "Getting it in the negative"...rather than getting it later in photoshop,...I would try the Preperation H ....One thing about using that under the eyes... don't get it in the eyes... and be sure that the model doesn't rub her eyes at all... ALSO, ...this can really freak out a model... imagine seeing you grab a tube of that [censored] and applying that to her face... right under her eyes!! My god,,,.....please don't tell me that you have used that on your a$$ ??!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Nope, ...squeeze out a bottle of that and place it in a small plastic container, label it and stick it in the dressing room... call it something like... magic bags under the eyes / up partying all night eyes reduction formula.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ...and place it right next to the Visine....which is good to reduce the redness..which is also a sign of up all night syndrome...Yep!

How's that..

JP