Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
HELP PLEASE !!!! Newby color management/workflow question
Old 07-24-2004, 07:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36366
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to sharfman

sharfman is offline IP: 66.210.170.241

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am an old film/slide shooter making making the transition to digical printing. While I am not an expert yet, I have gotten reasonably facile printing my B&W using MIS Associates inks. Howver, I traded a friend some images for some of her art and she wanted some color prints. Normally, I would just send the negs to my favorite lab however she requested some PS magic so I need to print everything on my printer. The problem is getting the printed image to look more like my monitor image.

I have an ICC profile that I am using as I am running Epson paper and Ink. My stock Dell monitor is set at 6500 with all the gammas at 2.2. The problem is that the color is close but no cigar and the printed image is darker than the screen image. Note I am printing on my trusty Epson 785 which as essentially the same printer engine as my 1280.

My question is - short of buying a calibration device and its attendent software, is there anything in PS I can set to get the screen image closer to the printed image.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

regards

mark sharfman
  View Public Profile Send a private message to sharfman Find More Posts by sharfman

Re: HELP PLEASE !!!! Newby color management/workflow question
Old 07-24-2004, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37789

Allen_P is offline IP: 68.1.70.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You might want to try www.printroom.com , they tend to do a great job for a not so expensive price. I've been very pleased with what I've got from them 'cause they use the big "way too expensive" printers and don't charge very much. Just a suggestion.

Allen

PS: Actually, IMHO, their prints looks better than what I see on my computer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Allen_P Find More Posts by Allen_P

Re: HELP PLEASE !!!! Newby color management/workflow question
Old 07-25-2004, 06:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36900

HendrikG is offline IP: 213.84.76.212

Some basic information. This is a post I did at Fred Miranda, but maybe helpful. I recommend reading: ‘Real World Color Management’ by Bruce Fraser, Fred Bunting, Chris Murphy, Peachpit Press, 1st edition 2003, ISBN: 0201773406

Color-profiles are about colors (also include a specification for gamma and white point) and how these are represented in the real world. Color scientists use mathematical models that represent color in different ways. With color models or profiles, you can give meaning to numeric color image data.

Each device, such as a digital camera, display or printer, has a unique gamut, which is dictated by the characteristics of that device and can be described by device color profiles. Even devices from the same type and making are not identical and can only be described by his unique profile. Therefore, you need at least custom-made profiles for maximum quality.

sRGB is a Small-gamut space, has a limited color gamut, approximating that of the average computer monitor. Adobe RGB is a Medium-gamut space. Both are sort of device independent and the same all over the world, giving some uniformity.

Your camera doesn’t capture sRGB or Adobe RGB. As I already said, it has it’s own characteristics. When you select sRGB as the output, you tell the camera to translate all color data to sRGB, that includes colors outside this Small-gamut space, and all colors outside sRGB are now gone forever. With Adobe RGB, you have an image with more potential color data.

Some answers and recommendations:

- Always use Adobe RGB in camera, it will contain more color data compared to sRGB.

- keep Adobe RGB as your working space, because …it is.

- Never convert to sRGB, unless you need a smaller gamut (like posting on the Internet). If you do always save your image before conversion and use Adobe RGB for your archive.

- converting sRGB to Adobe RGB is useless; all color outside sRGB are already gone forever.

- Printer profiles only describe the unique characteristics of one specific printer. This profile is useless, unless you are printing on that specific printer or use the profile for soft proofing for that specific printer.

- You need a calibrated monitor. There's no ifs, ands, or buts, you NEED a calibrated monitor if you work with images on your computer. So forget your new lens, first buy a good calibration device. Adobe Gamma is better then nothing, but it’s not enough.

- Profiles are only meaningful when software is ICC-aware and set correctly. Viewing images inside Adobe Photoshop will give a correct representation of the image on a calibrated monitor, because it’s ICC-aware, but e.g. Internet explorer is not. That’s why images can look different when you view them with different viewers. You should trust the images viewed with ICC-aware applications of course.

- …and remember, a exact match between monitor and printer is not possible, since they are different output devices.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to HendrikG Visit HendrikG's homepage! Find More Posts by HendrikG

thanks
Old 07-26-2004, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36366
Send a message via Yahoo to sharfman

sharfman is offline IP: 66.210.170.241

Thanks for the suggestions.

regards

mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to sharfman Find More Posts by sharfman