Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
How many of you use hot lights for glamour?
Old 07-22-2004, 07:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
djyeo80

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.29.68.202

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just wondering how many of you use continuous hot lights for glamour? Any sample shots would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well now...
Old 07-22-2004, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35383
Comments: 0

MichaelJ is offline IP: 204.95.64.126

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Every so often I come out of hiding when this subject comes up... Amost everything I do in the studio is with tungsten. I use a combination of photofloods and halogen, up to around 2200 watts. As you can see, a lot of what I do is somewhat high-key.

View Public Profile Send a private message to MichaelJ Visit MichaelJ's homepage! Find More Posts by MichaelJ

Re: How many of you use hot lights for glamour?
Old 07-23-2004, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

Never, except when needed for a visual effect. Hot lights are just that - HOT. Who needs HOT when you have a model who is wearing makeup you don't want running? And I don't like to perspire when I shoot (but I do anyway) so the less heat the better. Also, as a film shooter, most transparency film (and neg for that matter) is color balanced to daylight (5500°), which is strobe. Hot lights (depending on the lights - they're not all the same) are 3200° if they're "photo" rated bulbs. Of course if you're shooting digital this won't matter, but then there is the issue of intensity, which, (aside from heat) means less light output, and that translates into less depth of field and shorter shutter speeds. Hot lights would force you to shoot fairly wide open all the time, and use a tripod most of the time. I don't mind the shallow depth of field (I use it as a creative tool) but I want the choice. Strobe gives you a "crisp" look you can't get with hot lights, unless you're shooting products.

When would I use it as a main light source? For one of two situations, and I only have two examples for you. First and easiest, is if I want a grainey, warm, color look. This image was shot using only the 60 low wattage bulbs in my old makeup room. I shot it on tungsten film (3200°) but the age of the bulbs made the color temperature come in lower than that, resulting in the over-warmth (which I like). Even pushing the film to around 640 ISO, I was hand-holding at 1/30th at about f4.

Next, I could use it if I wanted a blurred "drag shutter" effect. I don't have a sample handy, but you've seen them. They the shot, for example, of a runner who is blurred across the frame but sharp at one point. This is done with a very slow shutter, and then the strobe is fired once to make one area of the image very sharp. Its also done either outdoors at night, or in studio on a black background.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 07-23-2004, 06:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
rldog

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 216.209.116.170

I use both types of lighting (flash and continuous), depending on what I'm doing. Most of the work I do with my Lowels (about 2500W worth) I do at my studio at home. When I go on site I take strobe, as I find it is lighter and I can get away with less draw on the local electrical system. When I do shoot file my local store always has a good supply of Tungsten balanced film.

Yep, the damn things get HOT though. But I find the my ability to control the light and shadows better when I can see it and study it. Perhaps as I improve my pre-visualization skills will get better.

Sorry I don't have any samples for you but I'm at the office, and my photo library is at home. When done properly though, the photos from Tungsten light look perfectly normal.

Russ

There\'s a reason ...
Old 07-23-2004, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.68.163

There's a reason why portrait photographers switched to from hot lights electronic flash when it became available in the 50s. About 95% of my shooting is with flash. It's more comfortable for the model, easier on them and it allows me infinitely greater light control. Accessories such as snoots, softboxes and so forth are more easily used. Frankly, with the exception of some special effects, I can't see using lights which take skin off if accidently touched. I simply could not do some of my work with hot lights.

My place
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Old 07-23-2004, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
JJD_Productions

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 130.113.35.48

I use hot lights for almost everything. I have three 2000W lights in my studio and two 1000W lights for studio and location work (all 3200K). I have plenty of reflective material because I bounce the light a lot. I have nothing against strobes and I agree with the previous posts. I shoot digital (Canon 10D mostly) and I like the warmth of colour and since I started with hot lights, my repertoire of techniques is greater than with strobes. The image below was on my desktop but it is an example of hot lights (almost all were shot with the two 1000W only) used in in various indoor locations with the bottom right image being a studio mask onto a beach scene. I also like to use them for fill light on outdoor location shoots but I need to be close enough to an outlet to reach it with an extension cord. In these cases the light can be aimed directly (no bounce) at the subject and you can get some nice warmth. I can post a few examples of this if you are interested. All the best,
Jim :-)

Good topic
Old 07-23-2004, 03:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
droliff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.219.135.23

I use a focusable 2K fresnel quite often.
The quality of light is fantastic and, IMO, has a look/feel that is unachievable with strobe.
Shutter speeds may be relatively slow and apertures relatively large, but I highly recommend that people try
this style of shooting and add it to their lighting menu.
If I am not mistaken, I believe Steven Meisel used a 10K tungsten source for some of his Victoria's Secret work.

Regards,

Dennis

tech info
main light: Strand 2K fresnel + barndoors, focus at 3/4 spot, 10 ft. high
modifiers: light was feathered and shadows cast by matthews flags and scrims
camera: Fuji S2, tripod mounted
lens: nikkor 85mm f2 w/hasselblad lens shade
resolution: fine jpeg @ 4256ppi
WB: custom white balance
aperture: f5.6
shutter speed: 1/30 with cable release
model: Julia
cropping note: these images were shot for a calendar in which the design called for
the model to be on the right side of the frame

Re: Good topic
Old 07-23-2004, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

Member GG#: 36160
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to AGellert

AGellert is offline IP: 63.229.83.29

Dennis.. I just gotta say.. I love these two shots.. So crisp, so much POP.. and that Red.. just jumps at you...

Andrew
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert

Old 07-23-2004, 06:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
djyeo80

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.29.68.202

thanks for the replies.
I am leaning towards hotlights just because I can control shadows and paint with the light better and easier. I found it hard even with the modelling light of strobes. I am a student, so budget is a problem too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2004, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37617

joey61 is offline IP: 24.30.168.128

Greetings! Awesome work! Can this lighting be duplicated with judicious use of snoots, barndoors, grids and flags w/ flash? Just curious especially since Fresnels are available for flash.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to joey61 Visit joey61's homepage! Find More Posts by joey61