Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
AppleMac v. PC, et.al
Old 07-10-2004, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37617
Comments: 0

joey61 is offline IP: 24.30.168.128

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Greetings! Anyone have thoughts on either platform for use w/ PS 7 or CS, NIK, Genuine Fractals, etc. I need to address workflow issues-time v. $$$ being the determining factor. Thank-you!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to joey61 Visit joey61's homepage! Find More Posts by joey61

Re: AppleMac v. PC, et.al
Old 07-10-2004, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38674

gregkdavis is offline IP: 66.19.90.25

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You may want to go PC.
I think Adobe will stop doing Mac versions of Photoshop in the near
future. Note sure but that is what I read in the papers once.

greg.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gregkdavis Visit gregkdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by gregkdavis

Old 07-10-2004, 10:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.214.98.81

The normal answer is to pick whichever you are more comfortable runnning. Do some investigating with whatever plug-ins you know you'll want to use as some are OS specific.

Dan

Old 07-10-2004, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.203.221

Right now, assuming you're proficient in the machine you're using, then there's very little difference in Photoshop workflow between a Mac and a PC. Sure, there are some differences in the way the machines work.. different keystrokes, operating system conventions, etc., but generally using Photoshop is pretty much the same regardless of which platform you're looking at.

The determining factor may be the money - you're likely to spend close to twice as much to get a Mac going with all the bells and whistles as you would a Windoze box.

Price comparable systems and let that be your apples-to-apples benchmark for the money side.

If money was no object, though, I'd suggest the Mac is much more elegant a way to go. That's why I'm using PCs.

Wayne
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 07-11-2004, 04:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38949

imac is offline IP: 203.40.233.53

Had to make a similar decision last year although my hand was forced by the need to run Final Cut Pro. Now have a G5 running Panther next to my old (2 Year old) PC running XP. Very little difference in the interface and swithching from one to the other using PS7.
Don't be misled by a lot of the hype about how fast the Macs are, cos it isn't all true. I find running PS7 on the mac is more stable, but the pc is much quicker.
Running Nikon View and Editor is much faster on the PC .

IMck
  View Public Profile Send a private message to imac Visit imac's homepage! Find More Posts by imac

Don\'t believe the cost business. . .
Old 07-11-2004, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.172.248.166

.if you are trying to match the two in performance.
We have both in our studio. I use a G5 dual processor and the boss has a top of the line local built chopped channeled supercharged PC that is faster'en heck and it costed more than my 2 grand machine. Further this is his fourth machine he's had in the last year. One of which was a well advertized mail order company that failed miserably and was sent back with in a month. I've had my G5 for about a month and love it. Jumping from a 450 MHz G4 to a 2GigHz dual processor is almost as exhilerating as first time sex. . . well maybe not. Speed to me is not the best part of the Mac. OS X Panther and the stability factor remain the best part of the match up. Start up in the morning (and the very rare restarts) seem to be much faster than XP. Too me the user interface sparkles when compared to XP. And frankly being a from the start a Mac person I've never felt the need to downgrade. Maybe I'm just mellower than the boss but I know I cuss the Mac FAR less than he cusses his PC.
Years ago when I first started doing weddings a Pro friend of mine told me that I will want a Hasselblad and that I should bite the expense and get one to start with. I didn't. Now years, many cameras and thousands of dollars latter I realize he was right. If you think the Mac might be the way to go bite the bullet and buy it now not later. I really think if you look at it closely you'll see that there really isn't that much difference in cost, but there is a great difference in satisfaction. 'Course if you LIKE to cuss. . .
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Rumor straight out. . .
Old 07-11-2004, 12:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.172.248.166

of Redmund no doubt. Won't happen as long as the graphics community sticks with Mac. Geeze would'nt it be terrible if Baskin Robins offered any flavor you wanted as long as it was vanilla.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Old 07-11-2004, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 67.123.56.186

Let's see, 98% of the graphics community uses MAC, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc and Adobe is planning on doing away with MAC versions. That would be a logical business model to adopt. (Unless, of course, Apple themselves were to come out with better versions of the same type of software like I read they have been doing with video software.)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Old 07-11-2004, 02:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35467

huvola is offline IP: 24.10.196.165

Well,

I personally just cannot see myself using a computer/operating system where a file can be rendered un-openable by changing the NAME of the file.

Take a photoshop file and delete the .psd from the end of the name. Open it on your PC. Try double clicking on it. Try dragging the file icon to your Photoshop icon. Try opening it from "file_open" menu from within Photoshop.

My opologies if this has been corrected in XP. But in my experience, up until 2000 pro, this was the case with every PC I ever had the misfortune of having to work on.

Dont even get me started on how every .eps file I ever double clicked on opened in (and displayed the icon of) Adobe Illustrator, no matter what program it was created with- Illustrator, Photoshop, Freehand, Corel, etc. I wonder how many vector based .eps files were permantly rasterized by Photoshop because of that little gem of intelegent system design... (only being able to map a filename extension to ONE application) actually, I know how many... since I had to deal with the aftermath.

As for Adobe dropping the Mac platform. Don't count on it.

You may want to visit Apples website. Currently on the first page, below the big Itunes banner, there is a link to a quicktime video of Steve jobs's presentation at the WWDC this year. If you download the video, scroll about 3/4 through towards the end, where Phll Shiller is showing the new graphics engine (coreimage) being built into the next version of Mac OSX.

How about REAL TIME filtering and effects being built right into the OS and linked to the GPU?

Its true however, that within the actual program, Photoshop is almost identical in the Mac and Wintel versions. But you still have to deal with Windows and all of it's joys.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to huvola Find More Posts by huvola

Old 07-11-2004, 04:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 24.147.242.29

Never happen....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine