Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Before and After pics
Old 07-07-2004, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 172.128.15.152

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I know I plastisized her face (forehead and under eyes) too much but I will fix that.

BEFORE

AFTER

Re: Before and After pics
Old 07-07-2004, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369
Comments: 0

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.203.221

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

[ QUOTE ]
I know I plastisized her face (forehead and under eyes) too much but I will fix that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The forehead and under the eyes don't bother me as much as her cheeks, do... there's no natural conturing of her left cheek, just a block of silly putty. Her right cheek is better, but still lost a lot of the naturalness in the process.

What techniques did you use to touch up the image? Have you tried blending in the original with the adjustments layer to see how that might work?

Wayne
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 07-07-2004, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38485

photoTexas is offline IP: 66.76.43.121

I think you went a little to far... less is more when retouching... there is a point where it goes fake... play with your sliders and preview to see where that point is.. it takes time to learn... and try not totally removing lines,,,, soften them instead...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoTexas Find More Posts by photoTexas

What are you asking?
Old 07-07-2004, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.82.238.27

Are you posting to just show what you did? Or are you asking others what you can do to fix it and make it better? Some frown upon modifying others images without their permission.

Re: What are you asking?
Old 07-07-2004, 04:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318

JasonNJ is offline IP: 208.222.116.169

Ahem, Karin give you permission to use that shot? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonNJ Visit JasonNJ's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonNJ

YUP
Old 07-07-2004, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.82.238.27

Got a model release and everything. Heck I think I was the only one to pay her then also! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Same for this one

Old 07-07-2004, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 172.142.228.25

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for with this post.
I was just looking for some comments on the whole PS processing.
less is more, that was great advice thanks
oh yeah I give permission if anyone wants to demonstrate any other technic with those pics on this thread. I would be interested in what else can be done.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 149.174.164.75

[ QUOTE ]
oh yeah I give permission if anyone wants to demonstrate any other technic with those pics on this thread. I would be interested in what else can be done.

[/ QUOTE ]

... Here's my take on it. Keep in mind that this is not my vision here, so the direction I went with it may be completely different than what you were after. Simply my take on how I'd tackle the image if I had taken it. Also keep in mind that it's late here and was a long day for me ... so I basically rushed it ... lol

Basically, I initially adjusted levels and tweaked the color balance. Although I am color blind, the original seemed too yellow/green to me. In case you are wondering how I can adjust color lacking the rods (or is it cones .. never can recall) to see it properly -- it's all in the sampling values. Get the right ingredients and you know the cake will turn out. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

After that I used a combination of healing brush, cloning, dodging tool, blur -- along with fading some or all of the above -- to clean the image up. Granted it's still not perfect but gives you a glimpse at how others would approach it.

If it were me, I'd have reshot. I particularly was put off at how the lighting created harsh shadowing under the model's eyes. But I like the composition.

And as others have likely noted, the less it looks like you have had to work on the image the better. At least that's the case in my book. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hope this helps.

Dave

View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Color Blindness
Old 07-08-2004, 05:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35723

Dman65 is offline IP: 63.243.17.130

Hey Dave,

I am also color blind. I was wondering if you could tell me what area of the image you sample for dtermining the color cast. I have no problem if there is something I know to be white or grey, but if it I don't have one of those to go from I am at a bit of a loss.

By the way, great image.

Thanks,
Daryl
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dman65 Find More Posts by Dman65

Re: Color Blindness
Old 07-08-2004, 06:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 152.163.253.37

Hi Daryl,

When I am in Photoshop, I always keep my Info window open and have the right values set to CMYK. Since my background is in printing (photojournalism) that's the color space I am most comfortable with and also the mix-values I am most familiar with. Regardless of the palet tool selected, you will always be able to see the color values as you move the cursor across an image.

As to where to sample from, that depends upon the image. I typically aim towards flesh tones if I don't have something firmer to sample -- things like grass or another object I know the color mix of. In this particular image I saw that the yellow value on her face was out-of-whack so adjusted accordingly.

And finally, I like to have another set of eyes double check my work ... lol

Feel free to email me for additional information.

Good luck with it,

Dave

View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix