Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n - info wanted
Old 06-23-2004, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
RBP

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 207.69.140.33

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm really suffering for want of a full frame sensor, so I can have better control of DOF and use my 200mm F2 in studio.

I considered the 14N a year ago but the technical glitches and reviews turned me off.

The Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n is the successor to the 14N and based on reviews is vastly improved over the 14N. I am considering getting one.

Anyone with useful experience or comments on the Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n? Links to more reviews?

I'll have a Nikon D100 with the works to sell if I get the Kodak [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n - info wanted
Old 06-23-2004, 12:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37617
Comments: 0

joey61 is offline IP: 66.59.228.146

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID75/242.html
Or follow these threads in DPReview:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1026
  View Public Profile Send a private message to joey61 Visit joey61's homepage! Find More Posts by joey61

Old 06-23-2004, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318

JasonNJ is offline IP: 68.196.108.87

Just spent a week with two photographers who are Kodak's faces of the new DCS pro series, I witnissed first hand a DCS N and C model going at it. All in all, I am overwhelmed with image quality, focus time could be slightly improved, but if your not looking for speed on the AF this is a good camera.

Questions, thoughts, comments, or hell, want one? Drop me a line

JasonNJ
The Glorified Unique Photo COunterboy
jasone@uniquephoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonNJ Visit JasonNJ's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonNJ

Old 06-23-2004, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
RBP

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 207.69.140.32

Auto focus? What's that? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

My questions are 1) shutter lag, 2) write speed to CF card, 3) has the 5.x version of the firmware eliminated the magenta fringing in the highlights, and 4) JPEG quality. The first 2 are just things I want to know, and the last 2 are issues others have reported that give me pause.

Also, how fast can you shoot sustained shooting teathered? I hated that with the D1X, it took 4 seconds per image to xfer it to the PC, whereas it would only take 1 second to save to CF card.

And yes, I'm ready to buy one.

personal experience
Old 06-24-2004, 12:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35241

dmart is offline IP: 69.34.99.36

"My questions are 1) shutter lag, 2) write speed to CF card, 3) has the 5.x version of the firmware eliminated the magenta fringing in the highlights, and 4) JPEG quality. The first 2 are just things I want to know, and the last 2 are issues others have reported that give me pause."

1. shutter lag. Still there.
2. write speed. I don't consider this a problem
3. Yes. The new IR filtering technology took care of this
4. jpeg. I've never used the jpeg. I use the full size RAW's.

It is the PERFECT camera for shooting people. Not great for anything that involves speed..like sports nor would it be a good "all-around" camera.

re: "operating while tethered." I've haven't used it this way, so I cannot respond.

I do like the new built in pocket wizard transceiver.

Darryl
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dmart Visit dmart's homepage! Find More Posts by dmart

Followup
Old 06-24-2004, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
RBP

Member GG#:
Comments:

Thank you VERY much. If I can follow up:

Do you know what the shutter lag is? Can you comare it to say the Nikon D1X (which I consider noticable and unwanted, but tolerable).

Fullsized RAW would only be about 80 images per GB.... I can't say I'd like that. I shoot JPGs 99% of the time with the D1X and they are fine at about 2.2 MB each and are using a very conservative compression factor, but I've heard the SLR/n uses higher JPEG compression factors and so you have more artifacts. My comfort zone is 300 images before changing CF cards.

The change in IR filter was made for all SLR/n bodies at the inception (which is what bumped up the minimum ISO versus the 14N), and the magenta fringing was still a problem after that (according to reviews I've read). It was not until the 5.x firmware that magenta fringing was supposedly addressed. I can't find any reviews specifically mentioning the magenta fringing post the 5.x firmware.

I've also heard that the rated ISO is 2/3 stop off of what you get with an accurate handheld meter. Any comment on that?

Re: Followup
Old 06-24-2004, 04:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35241

dmart is offline IP: 69.34.99.36

re: shutter lag. Yes, comparable and because most of my work is "people" it really doesn't bother me. And the lag is just perceptable, certainly not offendable.

re: fullsize RAW. I get 150 per 2gig Lexar. I rarely shoot that many per shoot. I agree that there is a limit to the number of images you should trust per card.

re jpeg artifacts. I haven't used the jpegs with this camera so I would not be a good judge. The Pro SLR Pro/n shoots in Kodak's ERI Jpegs that allow "after-the-shoot" modifications.

I use Photo Desk prior to using PhotoShop. Photo Desk appears to be better with skin tones and exposure compensation prior to creating a TIF for use in PhotoShop.

(I shoot at 100ASA only)

..."The change in IR filter was made for all SLR/n bodies at the inception (which is what bumped up the minimum ISO versus the 14N), and the magenta fringing was still a problem after that (according to reviews I've read). It was not until the 5.x firmware that magenta fringing was supposedly addressed. I can't find any reviews specifically mentioning the magenta fringing post the 5.x firmware."....

We may be talking about different problems. The new Kodak uses a new filter that abosrbs the IR light. All other cameras are still using the IR filters that reflect IR. It is only on this camera (at this time tho I am sure others will move toward this)

.."I've also heard that the rated ISO is 2/3 stop off of what you get with an accurate handheld meter. Any comment on that?"...

I would say these people must be more critical than I. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Darryl

View Public Profile Send a private message to dmart Visit dmart's homepage! Find More Posts by dmart

IR Filter Clarification
Old 06-25-2004, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
RBP

Member GG#:
Comments:

I'll clarify what I know about the IR filer and relationship to magenta fringing.

The 14N used the typical reflective IR filter. When the SLR/n came out, it had an adsorptive IR filter which reduced color fringing in highlights, (and also causes more light loss which is one reason the minimum ISO of the SLR/n is higher than the 14N) but under high contrast conditions with dark borders, magenta fringing was still very apparent in some images. The original SLR/n firmware was 4.x. Changes were made in the firmware, reportedly specifically to address the magenta fringing that was still apparent even with the new IR filter. The 5.x firmare only recently came out, and I have not found any reviewer who meets the criteria of 1) had experienced the magenta fringing with the SLR/n with firmware 4.x and 2) had upgraded to firmware 5.x and thus could comment on the new firmware's effectiveness in reducing the magenta fringing.

A new review and a Dealbreaker
Old 06-29-2004, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
RBP

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 207.69.140.22

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakslrc/page10.asp

I will not be buying one now. The killer is that this body takes 6 seconds to write a RAW file, and 15 seconds to write a JPG! Fill up the 19 shot buffer, and you will be waiting 2 minutes to write them all.

How could anyone live with such a slowpoke?

It just goes to show do do your homework before buying. I'm glad I did.

Old 06-30-2004, 11:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.18

I was just talking to the Kodak Rep today at a seminar... The thing that really puts me off about it is that the (Canon mount one...not sure if it is the same for the Nikon mount)...iso settings are limited down to only 160... If you want to take advantage of the slower iso speeds,...from 6-100, you will HAVE to use a shutter drag out speed.....so, so much for my idea of shooting my lenses wide open on the beach and lighting the models with a Chimera.......oh well, I'll just have to use a ND filter....which was one option that I didn't care for all that much.. Yep..

JP