Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
So I got the camera, now what?
Old 06-19-2004, 02:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994
Comments: 0

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 63.205.137.254

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

My lovely wife bought me a Canon 10D for Father's day (Ah...to have a supportive wife...I love her). Now, my question is. How much storage do I need for how many photos taken in the highest res raw mode.The book says 14 will fit on a 128 Meg card. True? or not so much? If I want to shoot the equivalent of about 4 rolls of film, this would mean I would need about two 512 cards.

Then...Battery life. Will I really get about 500 shots out of a battery using Flash 50% of the time? (am I reading that correctly?)

The battery grip I want will hold 2 battery packs. Does that mean it needs two to work? Does it use them both before needing to recharge?

I have a 420EX Flash, am I correct that that no longer will work and I need a 550EX?

So, now I'm up to an extra "G" to make the camera work the way I need it to (and why do I need to charge so friggin much to take a photo [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]).

Any help from those who own the 10D would really help me.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Re: So I got the camera, now what?
Old 06-19-2004, 05:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
val
Free Member

Member GG#: 35336

val is offline IP: 24.94.79.134

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Your figures are generally accurate -- but it's good to have more storage than you'll need. It's easy to shoot a lot more pictures than with film -- no processing costs, so burn 'em. Also, jpg-large-fine mode works better than needed for most purposes (I've had clients make 24x36 posters for commercial use that looked great)and takes up a heck of a lot less space than raw.

You can probably shoot 400--500 shots on a battery but other factors -- especially reviewing and deleting with the LCD -- will cut down battery life.

The battery grip increases available power and seems to improve performance. The camera will work until both batteries die, but also works with only one battery in the grip.

The 420 and 550 both work w/ the 10D.

Finally, it's not just "a photo" for all that money -- it's probably tens of thousands of photos. My one suggestion if you want those photos to be top quality is to invest in L glass. Have fun, it's an excellent camera.

[ QUOTE ]
My lovely wife bought me a Canon 10D for Father's day (Ah...to have a supportive wife...I love her). Now, my question is. How much storage do I need for how many photos taken in the highest res raw mode.The book says 14 will fit on a 128 Meg card. True? or not so much? If I want to shoot the equivalent of about 4 rolls of film, this would mean I would need about two 512 cards.

Then...Battery life. Will I really get about 500 shots out of a battery using Flash 50% of the time? (am I reading that correctly?)

The battery grip I want will hold 2 battery packs. Does that mean it needs two to work? Does it use them both before needing to recharge?

I have a 420EX Flash, am I correct that that no longer will work and I need a 550EX?

So, now I'm up to an extra "G" to make the camera work the way I need it to (and why do I need to charge so friggin much to take a photo [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]).

[/ QUOTE ]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to val Find More Posts by val

Old 06-19-2004, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.0.94

First off, your gonna love it! As a dedicated film shoter with better than fifty years of shooting film ranging in size from 35mm to 8x10 and everything in between, I haven't seen the inside of my darkroom since I got the 10D last Fall.

I've been shooting in large jepg mode. Shooting under studio conditions, I tend to download after each set or significant lighting change and,so I rarely need my second 256 card. However, shooting outdoors, or on location with no computer nerby, a second card would be good to have. BTW, I routinely make 11x14 and 16x20 prints from the jpeg mode and occasionally a 20x30. Their quality is excellet!

The battery grip is a good investment. Not long ago, I did a seven hour shoot and had lots of battery life left over. But more important for me, it adds to the overall size of the camera, making the camera more comfortable in my hand. I recommend it.

I've no idea about the flash you mentioned.

Since better thn 90% of my shooting is intended to be B&W, I was initially a bit concerned as to how it would handle extremes in lighting, but no problem. It handles both high key and very low key quite well, as you can see in this shot from my last session.

Distinctive Images
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Old 06-19-2004, 08:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Gosh, I can save you that extra "G". The solution is simple. Go get your original packing materials, pack up the new stuff, and then I'll PM you with my address for shipping purposes. You'll never have to worry about a new flash, new memory sticks, or anything at all. I really feel genuine compassion for you and this terrible plight you're in and so I want to also offer you the relief from the stress of needing more toys for your new camera and make your Father's Day a pleasant memory. With that, my address is...... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously though, what a great gift!! I'm ordering up my D70 next week. My wife said if I buy that camera, I have to buy her some new TV dinner trays. I found some at Walmart for $20. What a country! hehehe Nah, I better get her some good ones unless I want to change my name to Brother Mike, shave my head, and move to Tibet.

Have a wonderful weekend! Happy shooting! I'll be digital soon as well.

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 06-19-2004, 10:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35378

cohibaron is offline IP: 65.68.204.102

Doug,
Please help. I see you are getting large prints from Jpeg mode. I have 1D about 4.2M file I believe and shoot in raw but I have had problem getting 8x10 even when I go to lab although last time I got excellent prints but do not know what I did differently.
Ron
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cohibaron Find More Posts by cohibaron

Old 06-19-2004, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39057

AlfonsoC is offline IP: 212.163.255.132

[ QUOTE ]
How much storage do I need for how many photos taken in the highest res raw mode.The book says 14 will fit on a 128 Meg card. True? or not so much? If I want to shoot the equivalent of about 4 rolls of film, this would mean I would need about two 512 cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

For storage, all depends on what you really need. I go with a pair of 1Gig Microdrives, two 512Mb & 1 256Mb CF.

Experience tolds me that shooting at ISO100 I can put about 180 shoots in RAW with JPEG small on each MD, so... I have storage for about 600 shots. If you bump up ISO your mileage can vary, but not much. BTW: EOS10 frame counter lies like a politician on election campaign. If you put a blank 1Gb card, display will tell you 158 images and you can squeeze up to 180.

I bought the BG-ED3, but after some time using it, decided to ditch it. Normally my most used lenses doesn't need help from the grip to balance the camera (20 2.8, 50 1.4, 85 1.8 so... are quite light lenses except the behemoth of the 70-200 2.8 IS). Ever carry a second charged battery pack ready to be used.

If you start weighting all the stuff you put along the camera, you will be probably over 2.3Kilograms (Body: 800 grams, Grip w/batteries: 450 grams, Lense depends but count about 550-600 grams, a 550EX? add another 580 grams). Too much weight, too much hassle.

For lighting, if you used previously a 420EX, the 550 will do the same and some more with more power. My portable lighting consists on a pair of 420EX and one 550EX and this is a lot of light if we consider it really portable. Add an off-shoe flash cable and you will not need much more.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AlfonsoC Find More Posts by AlfonsoC

now what?
Old 06-19-2004, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.0.94

Ron, I've no idea what's causing you the problem, but even though some disagree with what I do, it works. I download the new image into my 'puter and immediately convert it to 300ppi at a size of 1lx14 and save as a tiff or p'shop document. I make whatever corrections are needed, then print on an Epson 2000P. Larger than 11x14 will go to the lab on a CD, but their prints look just like mine, just bigger. For larger prints, I'll generally size them for whatever size is needed, then test print the central portion.

If you have any specific questions, ask me and I'll try to answer, based on the way I work.

Distinctive Images
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Old 06-19-2004, 03:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37178

ChristopherKern is offline IP: 216.249.83.14

[ QUOTE ]

-- I have 2 512 cards handy. In raw mode they hold about 80 shots each.

-- Battery life should last you a whole shoot, but if your using the on camera flash that will decrease the battery life quicker.

-- The battery grip works great, almost a must have. No you don't have to have both batteries in to make it work. It works off of one battery or the second. It is nice to have the second one in - allows you to shoot much longer without a charge.

-- The 420EX will work fine. I have the 550EX just cause I bought it new and didn't have the 420EX. But, we do use the 420EX on it from time to time - works great.

-- Just invest in a couple memory cards, an extra battery and possibly the battery grip and your set. The battery grip is a perk not really something you need.

[/ QUOTE ]

-- Just my 2 cents.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChristopherKern Visit ChristopherKern's homepage! Find More Posts by ChristopherKern

Old 06-19-2004, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks for the help!. I am so psyched to get started!

I know, it's many thousand photos for the relatively small cost. I am just still recovering from the sticker shock of the G-5 and software upgrades I just bought and how expensive it is to be a photographer/designer.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Old 06-19-2004, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Very nice shot!

And thanks for the tips! I too like a battery grip. I currently have one on my Elan7 and it is perfect for my long fingers. Without it I feel clumsy when trying to take a vertical shot. So that is a must purchase.

It's good to hear about the J-peg mode (from the other post as well). So now I'm wondering, what are the benefits of RAW mode? It seems every one I have asked always says "RAW MODE this and RAW mode that" but a 16x20 and 20x30 are pretty damn good!