Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Question on setting DPI for printing
Old 06-12-2004, 11:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38761
Comments: 0

Guitarmike is offline IP: 68.102.64.253

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I recently bought a D70, and just shot a wedding with it. I shoot in fine mode, which gives me a 2008 x 3000 pixel file. When I open it in Photoshop and then go to'Image Size' the resolution is 72 Pixels/Inch. I know that is not considered photo quality. If I make some adjustments to the file, for example, convert it to greyscale, do I need to change the resolution before I save the file. If I change the resolution to 300, it will sometimes lock-up my computer. I want to make sure I'm not losing any quality. I will be having them printed by a local lab. Thanks!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Guitarmike Find More Posts by Guitarmike

Re: Question on setting DPI for printing
Old 06-13-2004, 12:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35832

Tom_Hamilton is offline IP: 67.100.222.37

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Typically when you first open a digital image the default resolution will be 72 dpi. Note that the size of the picture, width and height, is huge. Resize the picture (width and height) and adjust the dpi to 300 keeping the file size, mb, approximately the same. That will give you a high quality image for printing. You can then scale the picture up or down from that point or even change it to a low resolution file by changing just the dpi to 72.

If I did the math right you begin with an image that is 17.3 mb at 72 dpi that is 27.889" by 41.667". Change the long dimension to 10", yielding 6.669" on short side, and the dpi to 300. The file size is still 17.3 mb.

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tom_Hamilton Find More Posts by Tom_Hamilton

Re: Question on setting DPI for printing
Old 06-13-2004, 01:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 205.188.116.211

Hi Mike,

I think you may be resizing the image to 300dpi WITHOUT making sure that the "Constrain Proportion" option was unclicked. Here's visually what I think is happening ...

How it should look when you first open it (used PS7, but basically the same on all versions)

Here's what I think you are doing. Note that Constrain Porportion is check so the image is being expanded to the size (as indicated in the file size just I have circled in red). Won't take many 300+ meg images to crash most system. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And finally, here's what you should be doing to adjust dpi without increasing file size (and essentially stretching the pixels and ruining the image). Note circled Constrain Proportions uncheck now and file size unchanged. Naturally the image dimensions DO change though.

Hope this helped.

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Re: Just to clarify
Old 06-13-2004, 01:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 24.130.241.138

Just to clarify (I was confused by the way Dave presented this), you've got the wrong box un-checked. Just clear the "Resample Image" as Dave showed in his last image, and my image below. Change the DPI to 300 and the print size will follow. That's all there is to it.

BTW, my image of the dialogue box (above) shows you how the file sizes look right from MY D70 camera. I don't recall changing any settings to get them to open this way on their own, perhaps there is something you can do in the camera (I'm real new to it - maybe someone else knows).

Also, if you are making ink jet prints, 300dpi is overkill. If Robert Sanders sees this thread, he can explain it better than anyone I've met.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: Just to clarify
Old 06-13-2004, 01:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 205.188.116.211

Thanks for clearing that up, Andy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

The very, very simple explanation.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 169.207.244.175

I just had this talk with my wife last night, and I'll give you the digital newbie's condensed version:

1) When you use the "Image Size" dialog, you have two important checkbox options. "Resample Image" and "Constrain Proportions."

2) "Resample Image" should always be OFF unless you have a specific reason to turn it ON.

3) "Constrain Proportions should always be ON unless you have a specific reason to turn it OFF.

4) With "Resample Image" turned OFF, you can only change the "Print Dimensions" numbers. That's all you want to do: you want to make it print bigger or smaller, not throw away information or add interpolated (i.e. the computer makes its best guess) pixels.

5) Note that in most image editors, although the dimensions are given in pixels you can input inches or centimeters or whatever you want. for instance, if your 3000x2000 pixel picture needs to be a 6x4 inch print, just put "6 in" in the larger dimension box. It should automatically fill in the correct dimension in the other one.

5) If you can't make the picture the dimensions you want with "Constrain Proportions" on, the answer is to use the Crop tool. If you have a specific aspect ratio in mind, you can set the tool so that it only gives a crop area with that aspect ratio. Learn it, use it, live it. You will probably do this a lot as most "standard" picture sizes are not only *not* 3/2 or 4/3, which is what most digicams use, but they're not even consistent with *each other.* 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, and 11x17 are all different aspect ratios.

6) Never work with .JPG's. When you are editing a photo for printing, the first step is to save it as a PSD (Photoshop) or as a TIFF (any other program.) Then do all your work. When you're done, if you think you might ever want to work with the photo again, keep the PSD. (I know they're huge. Hard drives are cheap and CD-ROM's are practically free.) *Every time* you hit the Save button when you're working in JPG, your image gets crappified just a tiny bit. If you're conscientious and save your progress often, the crappification can become noticeable. If you're convinced the pic is "good to print," then when you are DONE you can then resave it as a JPG.

Any questions may be addressed to actual experts, with which this board abounds. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc