Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
What will I need?
Old 06-11-2004, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi all,

I'm ready to take the plunge and get my D70. Now the question is this: Along with that, what will I need to download the images to my computer and, since I shoot with studio strobes, what radio remote system would you recommend since it doesn't have a socket for my strobe cable? I've seen some nice radio remotes on eBay for about $50. They look very similar to what was used when I went to Rolando's workshop in NY. I've looked at some of the more "main stream" radio remotes but they cost a frickin' fortune (in my pathetic budget).

Hope to be shooting digital within a month or so. Wish me luck!

Your humble Maine denizen,

Mike

This is a photo of the river in my back yard. It was shot at 6:00 AM just as the sun was peeking over the trees and the "sea smoke" was rising from the temperature difference. (Prints are available for sale, by the way!! Framed and all!)

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Re: What will I need?
Old 06-11-2004, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 24.147.242.29

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

i have pocket wizerds...thay rock..get a wein safe sync too in case you need a pc cord as a back up..
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 06-11-2004, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318

JasonNJ is offline IP: 208.222.116.169

No no, don't call me direct, its not like you don't already have my # [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The Glorified Unique Photo Counterboy

View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonNJ Visit JasonNJ's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonNJ

Old 06-11-2004, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 12.5.79.2

Mike

Well, one area not to skimp is the radio system. I have a Quantum -- but the Pocket Wizards and the Bowens are good, too. One thing to know -- the Pocket Wizards are vertically oriented. They might stick up in your way. That's one of the reasons that I bought something else.

You need storage. Figure out what increment you want in storage, and plan to buy about 1GB to start. For example, say you pick 256MB cards -- buy 4. They're pretty cheap these days.

Best of luck.

Bob

From Rolando's Philly workshop:

View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Here\'s what I\'ve gotten so far.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 169.207.244.175

I bought an EOS 300D last month and I've gotten a few accessories for it. Since you are already an established shooter you probably have most of this anyway:

1) It came with an 18-55mm zoom. I've bought a 75-300mm zoom and an f1.8 50mm prime (Thanks, Jason, those are really hard to get!) for low-light situations. I think I'm good for right now lenswise until I find out what gaps these leave that are important to my shooting style.

2) Really nice UV filters for all three lenses.

3) A 420EX Speedlite, which is an e-ttl, FEC-capable, dual-dimension bounce on-camera flashgun.

4) Two spare batteries. I got mine on clearance from Buy.com for $18ea. The Canon ones are in the fifties.

I already had:

1) 3 256MB CF cards.

2) A nice (but not flashy - don't tip off the thieves) camera bag.

3) A really good tripod.

4) A nice photo printer. The photo printer also covers the card reader: I have an Epson SP825 at home, which has an integrated card reader. You can theoretically print direct from the card, but why would I do that when I have a G4 running Photoshop CS? I also have an Epson SP 2200 at work for when I need bigger prints.

5) An IR (#87) filter that just happens to fit the 50mm prime.

6) Various reflectors, slave flashes, a softbox, etc.

I would like:

1) A FireWire card reader. It's not like I've got hundreds of images every day, but emptying 3 256MB CF at USB 1.1 speed is a drag, man.

2) A diffuser for my flashgun. I had one of those bouncers that go on with Velcro on my last flashgun and I really liked it, but I might try one of the translucent plastic ones this time.

3) A flash bracket so I can mount my flashgun off-camera.

4) A battery grip, which not only holds two batteries, but also helps balance the camera's weight with a long zoom and/or flashgun attached and has a vertical shutter release.

5) A magic whistle that only models can hear and which makes them come running.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Re: Here\'s what I\'ve gotten so far.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

That's quite a collection you've got there, Marc. I do have lots of toys but going digital will surely mean different toys. I guess what I should concentrate on is the absolute necessities since the only thing worse than my budget is how the government takes care of the national budget. My guess is that I need a card reader and a couple CF cards. As far as computers go, I have six of them networked in my house and am running USB 2.0. I'm curious how much readers cost and the CF cards as well. I guess it's time to call my buddy and pal Jayson in NJ....our Unique Photo bon vivant. Money is really tight and so I need bare minimums right now. Oh, and I didn't even consider batteries until you mentioned them in your post. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] With any luck at all, maybe Ed McMahon will stop by and tell me I won the Publisher's Clearing House 10 million bucks. One can dream..........sigh!

Good day sir!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 06-11-2004, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Hi Bob,

I've considered the Quantum stuff but they are so darned expensive. Actually, anything decent out there is pretty much way out of my price range but I really need something to trigger my strobes with. I may have to opt for the basic module that will fit onto the camera's hot shoe and string my 30-foot cord around with me. Radio remote is so much nicer but I'm just a lowly member of the hoi polloi; hence I am unable to buy the good stuff. It sucks not having money.

I don't like the pocket wizards for the very reason you pointed out...vertical alignment. Rolando had a nice radio remote in NY but I'm not sure who made it. Perhaps I should email him and see.

Thanks for your thoughts, Bob! Have a most excellent weekend!

Mike

Old 06-11-2004, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Jason old buddy, good to hear from you! I do need to give you a call. I need to know the lead time on a D70 and how much you're getting for CF cards nowadays. Money is VERY tight and so I'm hoping that you can help me out. Have I mentioned that I would come to Joisey and clean your windows and cars and I do laundry and can cook? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Also, what's the deal with card readers or can I do a direct connect from the D70 to my computer via USB? I haven't looked at the specs too closely yet.

Hey, have an awesome weekend and expect a call from me next week to talk turkey and see what we can put together.

Good day sir!

Mike

p.s. Forgive me for spelling your name wrong in my reply to Bob. It was an oversight. It's 12:30 a.m. and I have been at it since 5 a.m. Been at work and just got home 20 minutes ago. UGH!

Old 06-11-2004, 11:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Hi Jayson,

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I've been eyeballing the quantums but don't have the money for anything that good. I'm stone ****ing broke after I pay for the D70 and the lens that comes with it. I need more photo jobs. I also need to find out if I can connect the D70 directly to my computer via USB or if I need a card reader. I have a query in to Jason at Unique. He's da man and will surely steer me in the right direction!

Need to run for now and get some sleep. It's been a long week today.

Have a great weekend!

Mike

Old 06-11-2004, 11:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35848

bthphoto is offline IP: 209.112.151.8

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen some nice radio remotes on eBay for about $50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be kinda cautious about this. I just tried one of those $50 ebay remotes on my D60 a few weeks ago. Seemed to work fine, but next time I turned on the switch that activates the shutter release button on the battery grip I was in full auto mode - just keeps shooting and shooting and shooting. I can turn off the battery grip and things work fine, but the battery grip is shot. Can't prove it's related, but you can bet I'm not putting that remote on another one of my cameras. - Tim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bthphoto Visit bthphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by bthphoto