Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
are all lens cleaning equipment the same ?
Old 06-05-2004, 10:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36657
Comments: 0

That_Look_Photography is offline IP: 68.200.97.99

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have a lens cleaning kit that i am not happy with. It is a bottle of some kind of solution and wipes tham seem like they could scratch the glass if pressed to hard while cleaning.

What do the experts like to use ? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Mike

That Look Photo
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography

Re: are all lens cleaning equipment the same ?
Old 06-05-2004, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, I'm no expert as you say....and I never use filters on my lenses either... which is another topic.. anyway, I have used several different types of cleaners...the blower brush.... which is this little rubber ball with a brush sticking out of it........useless!

The can of compressed air.....great for big clumps of gunk that would scratch the lens if you just began wipeing it.. but useless for cleaning smear marks from fingers.....or dogs licking your lens like what happened to me several years back when covering a dog show....this great dane thought he'd see what flavor my 20mm was.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cloth......be careful which one you buy.... there is one brand... (no names) that claims to make "lens cleaning kits"....with a spray and their cloth...well, all it does is smear the lens so that yoiu have to wipe it down for several minutes and if you're persistant enough you can remove the smear marks that increase flare that are obvious in sunlight......(even when following the directions...spraying the cloth not the lens)....and then their cloth leaves all this lint behind.......I use that cloth for checking my oil these days! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Then, there is this company......who I wish I knew what they were called because their product is great...but I lost the darn bottle.....they make this cleaning solution that also reduces condensation on your lenses......like when stepping inside an indoor swimming pool with your cold equipment that was in your car...( which happens to me every winter)...the condensation forms a fog on the outside of all your cold gear and you have to use a haid drier to warm it all up or wait until it warms up on it's own which takes for ever........well, this stuff helps that out quite a bit.....so you can get started shooting right away... My mother gave it to me as a gift a while back too.....go figure! . ...I just wish I could find it... if someone knows what I'm referring to, please name it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and today, I use a lens cleaning cloth that is lint free and made of a very fine woven material that doesn't scratch at all yet is great on anything you can toss at it.. I buy mine from a store that sells glasses and it's made by Pentax...... for cleaning their line of optical glasses like the glare reducers that have that goofy green tint.. Their lens cleaning cloths are by far in my opinion the best....and I use them on my L glass all the time with no worries.....and best of all, you can wash them again and again! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Try that! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Old 06-05-2004, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38698

MysticMan is offline IP: 67.101.146.226

I am no expert but I use compressed CO2, a brush, or Zeiss Lens cleaner depending on the amount/type of dirt.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MysticMan Find More Posts by MysticMan

Old 06-05-2004, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 67.20.120.218

Well I'm no expert either but I use Eclipse solution and peck pads.
Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Re: lens cleaning
Old 06-05-2004, 07:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35241

dmart is offline IP: 69.34.171.125

I've been using the Eclipse solution and the Sensor Swabs for about 4 years. It was intimidating, at first, as I would apply too little pressure and not do a thorough cleaning.

I tried CO2, prior to finding the Sensor Swabs and really made a mess of things. It is nearly impossible to find CO2 that does not emit moisture (condensation) and that left several gigantic blobs on the sensor. It took several repeat cleanings to remove them. (with the Eclipse and swabs)

re: pressure. You are not actually touching the sensor, there is a clear cover over it. Grab the swab firmly and draw in a single direciton. The swab is approximately the size of my 2/3'rds sensors(Fuji's). I need to make 2 swipes for my full size sensor (Kodak Pro14), but I've had no difficulties nor adverse affects.

Besides the pressure hint, I never use the same side of the swab twice. If I need to make 2 swipes I turn it over. Reason being that if I picked up particles on the first swipe, I might be using them to scratch on the second swipe.

Darryl
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dmart Visit dmart's homepage! Find More Posts by dmart