Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
UV filter + warming filter OR just the warming filter ?
Old 06-02-2004, 07:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36657
Comments: 0

That_Look_Photography is offline IP: 68.200.97.99

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I never herd of anyone putting a UV filter and a warming filter like a Hoya 81a together on a lens. I think only the warming filter should be used. Am I wrong ? I am in disagreement with a buddy of mine on this. He also said he keeps it on the lens when shooting in the direct sun . Am I missing something ?

What do you think ?

Mike

That Look Photo
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography

Re: UV filter + warming filter OR just the warming filter ?
Old 06-02-2004, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35330
Send a message via ICQ to John_Chennavasin Send a message via Yahoo to John_Chennavasin

John_Chennavasin is offline IP: 216.249.71.247

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You are correct. I try to avoid stacking filters when possible. The additional elements increase the likelihood of flare.

If you are shooting print film or digital, warming and cooling filters aren't needed.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to John_Chennavasin Visit John_Chennavasin's homepage! Find More Posts by John_Chennavasin

I guess....
Old 06-06-2004, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.189

That all depends on your particular shooting style... "generally speaking"...warming filters...like the screw on ones are used to "warm-up" over-cast or shade light which is "cold" in their hues on daylight film.. I personally don't use UV filters... UV filters can increase flare and slightly cut down on the performance of your lens which was designed to be used without a filter... If you shoot in the shade...and use flash, you will want to place a warming filter "gel" on your flash... that way, you can get a cool looking effect by having a warm looking subject and a cold looking background.. Oh, and I like to use Bogan's line of gels...they are well maded and don't melt from modeling lamps and don't tear very easily...like from removing tape after taping them to your light..

Try that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Or...
Old 06-06-2004, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.189

Use film that has a warm composition...like Provia....or E100 SW... those are similar to using an 81a..

JP

even a simpler concept
Old 06-12-2004, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 68.83.79.157

You pay X amount of hard earned dough to buy your favorite extra special coated 8-300mm f 1.4 autoeroticmagnafocussilentwaveclearcoat lens from the mfr of your choice.

Then you stick a bunch of 20 dollar pieces of glass in front of that work of fine lens crafting.

Get the picture?

Keep as little as possible between the film ( or CCD) and the subject. If lens mfg wanted extra cheap glass in front of them, they would have added an extra layer. The only stuff I use are as few filters as possible for special effects.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Yes, Yes!
Old 06-12-2004, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Provia is awesome! I shot a number of rolls of it and was very impressed with how warm they came out. It was as if I used a polarizer or other warming filter. Very nice.

Good day!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Lens Protection...
Old 06-12-2004, 08:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 169.207.244.175

I keep a nice (multicoated) UV filter on my lens by default. I take it off when the situation calls for it - low light, using a different filter, or when I want to just wring the last drop of performance out of it. I do this for one basic reason: accidents tend to happen around me and I would rather they happened to my cheap filter than my expensive lens.

If I wasn't such a disaster magnet and did all my work in a nice studio, I wouldn't bother with it, I'll admit. But among other things, my UV filters have stopped innumerable thumbprints, pokes, splashes (my daughter is rather unpredictable) and at least one Hurricane. (The drink, that is: I had one splashed at me at Mardi Gras.)

Now, if you are the careful, methodical sort, then perhaps you don't need to worry about this kind of thing. That's great. But I know me, and I think I'll keep my filters on. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] To address the original question, I doubt I'd leave the UV filter on if I was using other filters at the same time. I take it off when I'm using my IR filter, for instance, because that already costs me like ten stops. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Actually, it probably doesn't make much difference at that point. But it's the principle of the thing.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc