Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
eBay connectivity
Old 05-28-2004, 02:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 68.171.206.81

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi all,

Is anyone else having perpetual problems with eBay? I can check out the auctions but as soon as I try to place a bit, it never connects with the page and I get a "cannot connect to server" or some such error page; EVERY TIME. I have a router but it shouldn't block eBay transactions. I can do all other Internet transactions just fine. Now I'm getting pissed because I can't even access the few things I'm trying to bid on. I can't even connect to the chats for technical support or anything. Anyone have any ideas or similar experiences lately?

Good day!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Re: eBay connectivity
Old 05-28-2004, 03:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35832

Tom_Hamilton is offline IP: 66.167.136.95

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

It is always difficult to try and diagnosis such problems from afar. However, I recently, like this week, saw a similar problem on my son's computer. I ran a disk utility program which found a number of problems in catalog trees, etc. After repairing these errors everything was back to normal.

Sometimes your system gets tied in a knot all by itself. Maybe its the operation system just trying to tie a cherry stem in its mouth. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason.

Hope this helps.

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tom_Hamilton Find More Posts by Tom_Hamilton

Old 05-28-2004, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Thanks, Tom. Do you remember which utility you ran? I am running Windows 2000 Professional. I'll try some of the "canned" ones and see what I come up with. I've run all kinds of other utilities but have come up with nothing. Not sure what's going on. What a pain in the ass though.

Good day sir!

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 05-28-2004, 05:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35832

Tom_Hamilton is offline IP: 66.167.136.95

Mike:

I am on a Mac and ran Norton Utilities. Not sure which would be the best for Windows systems, but I think the problem is still going to be similar and that some part of the operating system is out of whack. I would think that just about any of the commerically available utilties programs will help. That said, trying to sort it out can be a real pain.

Now that I am thinking about it, another solution we usually try here first is to turn the router off and back on. I don't know what happens, but when my son plays a certain game over the Internet he sometimes locks the router up. Don't ask me how, although we think we have narrowed it to a certain operation he performs in the game. Go figure. Rebooting the router is the only thing that works.

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tom_Hamilton Find More Posts by Tom_Hamilton

Old 05-28-2004, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 169.207.244.175

Actually, I have been getting errors off and on over the past day or so which lead me to believe that eBay is having technical problems. (They had a big sale on listing extras this week, might be undercapacity problems.)

However, if it works fine until you try to *do* something and you get "server not found," I'd suspect a DNS Server issue. Try rebooting your broadband modem, if you have one.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Old 05-29-2004, 01:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35621

Richie is offline IP: 24.144.49.118

Delete your temporary internet files and give it a shot again.

-Richie
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Richie Find More Posts by Richie

Marc and Richie
Old 05-29-2004, 08:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Typically the first thing that I do is kill power to both my router and cable modem and totally disconnect all cables as well. I let them sit for about 10 minutes (or however long it takes me to surf the channels) and then reconnect. This normally fixes a lot of connectivity issues but it didn't help at all. As far as Temporary Internet Files go, the folder is cleaned out as well and still no luck. I've tried setting my security settings to their absolute lowest, tried a number of different Internet options via IE, deleted all blocks in my router and enabled all communication channels, yada yada yada, and I still can't complete any "transaction." I can surf the pages all damn day but can't bid or sell. I think this is a good excuse for me to reformat this piece of s**t Windoze machine and reinstall my Linux OS. I use Linux and Unix all day at work anyway and I know firsthand of it's incredible stability and power. We'll see. Back to the drawing board. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks so much for your thoughts, guys. I'll try some more things and see what develops.

Good day and have a wonderful weekend!

Mike

Working for me ...
Old 05-29-2004, 07:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.99.79

I just tried making bids and it took the bid instantly. So if it still doesn't work (5/29 7:05 pm Central) if you try it now, then you have a problem with your connection and you might want to check with your ISP.
Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: Working for me ...
Old 05-29-2004, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Thanks. It seems to be something with my computer. I took my router out of the loop and connected directly to the cable modem; still no luck. I then tried a different computer altogether and it works fine with and without the router. Something is amiss in my computer. I've reviewed all of my settings, cleared all caches and temp files and double checked my DNS and security settings ad nauseum but still can't find the ONE thing that is preventing me from doing any transactions. I can surf all day but NO transactions. It has to be a security thing but it's evading me. I build computers and know software really well but this one is kicking my butt. Live and learn. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good day sir!

Mike

Re: Working for me ...
Old 05-29-2004, 10:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 69.110.17.47

Wouldn't be something as simple as accepting cookies????
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC