Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Heather more traditional...?
Old 05-27-2004, 02:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 66.129.202.98

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Heather and I had a lot of fun with this shoot...As I indicated before, she's getting much more comfortable in front of the camera, and was throwing some good looks.

I thought this shot was "just ok" until I showed the set to a friend and mentor...I thought I was going to have to chase him down to get my iBook back...

View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Re: Heather more traditional...?
Old 05-27-2004, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38648
Comments: 0

FAshooter is offline IP: 216.61.195.177

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm sorry for saying this, but the way Heather is posed in this one, her face and head look like a man's all dolled up. JMO.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FAshooter Find More Posts by FAshooter

Old 05-27-2004, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.203.126

I agree that this looks a little like a man, sorry. Also, I've heard from several stylists and other photographers that a model's ribs should not show in a photograph. But I really dig seeing some ribs. Anyone have opinions - show ribs or no ribs?

View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Ribs
Old 05-27-2004, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 65.42.186.12

I would agree with you to a point. I dont mind seeing the ribs in a subtle way. I think in the image you posted it is great, but the image of Heather that was originally posted I dont like it. I think it is too extreme. It looks like she is really sucking in her stomach and seems un-natural to me. But then again, that is just the opinion of one person so take it for what it is worth.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 05-28-2004, 04:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Well thank you all for the constructive criticism of the shot...I've learned so much from your comments.

A) Don't shoot models that look different, especially those that have angular faces

B) Don't shoot models that go to the gym to WORK, not socialize

Wonder what you all say when I shoot with Jill in a couple of months...

By the way, Jill is a 47 year old mother of six...

View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 05-28-2004, 07:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38648

FAshooter is offline IP: 216.61.195.177

[ QUOTE ]
Well thank you all for the constructive criticism of the shot...I've learned so much from your comments.

A) Don't shoot models that look different, especially those that have angular faces

B) Don't shoot models that go to the gym to WORK, not socialize

Wonder what you all say when I shoot with Jill in a couple of months...

By the way, Jill is a 47 year old mother of six...

[/ QUOTE ]

My, you are touchy for someone who thought the shot was just "ok." Here's some constructive criticism. The angle of the shot is ackward; it forces her head into too small a portion of the frame which ruins the lines of the rest of the image. Hard angles and then smooth flowing lines and curves?? Was that your goal? Fine if it was. BTW your image of the body builder is a nice snapshot. In my original post, I simply gave my opinion for which you asked. My opinion of that image doesn't go to the other images you've posted of her. I have no problem with her ribs. I have no problem with muscles or whatever. I merely gave my opinion of that particular image. Apparently, you're not interested in any opinion with which you disagree. Now I know.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FAshooter Find More Posts by FAshooter

Old 05-28-2004, 09:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Your last post is EXACTLY what I was looking for...What's wrong with the image, not what you like or dislike about the model.

The first responses were, to me, more along the lines of "you shot a cinder brick, you should have shot a fire brick."

I still think the image is "just ok...", it's not spectacular by any stretch.

I'm here to learn, and comments like "she looks like a man" do nothing to help me shoot a better image (and if it DOES, then I clearly missed that, and I'm all ears for the explanation).

I understand that everyone has their opinions, and I dont' fault anyone for sharing them, God knows I'm not shy about sharing mine. But at least say something in a critique other than "I don't like the way she looks" unless you can explain why *I* made her look that way, so that I don't do it again.

Thanks for giving me the *type* of info that I'm looking for!

I"m out the door to shoot...Hopefully I'll turn out fewer polished turds...

Old 05-29-2004, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 66.68.34.150

Hey Jon like the new avatar. I think what bothers me in the pose is that she is definitely tight. The ribs are not as big a deal to me but the tightness in her neck makes here look like she is straining to look at the viewer. To me on her back poses should show total relaxation and sultry but hey that's me. Hope you have a good shoot today.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 05-29-2004, 09:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 68.86.70.5

Seems like you've got a lot of "firsts" going on at the same time. New camera, new model and new genre' of photography. Good luck.

About the image. It's tough to get a good image where the model is on her back, her head is in the far right portion of the image and on a downward angle. Following the *rule of thirds* if her head would have been more to the left the flat portion of her stomach wouldn't have contrasted with her rib cage since it wouldn't have been in the picture. I also think that if the lock of hair were in it's proper place that it would have helped to soften the angularity of her face.

A few of the comments made by other posters were inappropriate to a critique, but the hard truth is, it's tough photographing female bodybuilders whose masculine facial features are dominate. Study her face again and select the more feminine side and then play to that side when shooting glamour. Your make up artist should be able to help soften her angles too for a more glamourous look.

The picture below is of Alicia, (the torso below that is also hers), a long distance runner who works out but not for bodybuilding competition. With small amounts of body fat to soften the angles, body builders and runners have facial features that are more sharp and defined and is harder to make them look soft.

I look forward to seeing the images you come up with this summer.

Ridck D.

View Public Profile Send a private message to rixafter6 Visit rixafter6's homepage! Find More Posts by rixafter6

Old 05-31-2004, 02:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Hi Mike, Thanks on the avatar...Done on a lark.

Thank you also for your notes...I'll take that info heavily into consideration along with the rest as I go through the rest of that set.

And yes, I had a GREAT shoot today (um, yesterday)... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]