Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
From the other night.
Old 05-26-2004, 02:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35663
Comments: 0

MoonRatt is offline IP: 198.161.35.216

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

My first shoot with this model.

All suggestions, comments, opinions welcome.

View Public Profile Send a private message to MoonRatt Visit MoonRatt's homepage! Find More Posts by MoonRatt

Re: From the other night.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 68.86.70.5

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Welcome back Dave. How's the new house? The only thing I would try to add to this picture is more light in her eyes and soften the shadows on her face a little.

Rick D.

View Public Profile Send a private message to rixafter6 Visit rixafter6's homepage! Find More Posts by rixafter6

Old 05-27-2004, 08:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

MoonRatt is offline IP: 198.53.244.57

Hey Rick.

I'm still getting used to the idea that if there's something wrong with the place, I have to deal with it myself and can't just 'call the landlord.', otherwise, it's pretty cool.

more light in her eyes and soften the shadows on her face a little.

Heh, I know that technically there should be more light in her eyes, but at the same time I've been playing with that direct top down lighting and intentionally ignoring how lit the models eyes are. I think I even mentioned to her that someone would call me on it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Softening the shadows would have been nice. I could have brought the soft box down even closer and dropped the levels a bit to keep her mid section in shadow. This particular light unit has a dead model light, so I had no idea till I saw the image on the computer exactly what I had in the camera. What bothers me most about this image the longer I look at it is her right thumb poking up past her arm. I'm going to have to go do some PS surgery to get rid of it.

Thanks for the comments.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MoonRatt Visit MoonRatt's homepage! Find More Posts by MoonRatt

Old 05-27-2004, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 65.42.186.12

Well now...Where should I start with this one....hmmmmm ok, got it... I love it. I would agree about the thumb sticking up. That kinda jumped out at me. But other then that I would hang that on my wall as art exactly how it is. I love the lighting and the shadows. Nice job and keep showing us your progress in this area. It is an area that I am trying to work on as well.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

There is a time ....
Old 05-27-2004, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.121.91

There is a time for breaking the 'rules' and I think your photo is one of those times. Yeah, the thumb is a bit on the bothersome side but certainly not deal breaker. I think the pose and overall set up are simply excellent. The tones and colors, background, flooring, chair and model, including her hair work together beautifully. The way I see your photo is that it's about attitude, or rather "attitude!". As someone else mentioned, I could easily see myself hanging that one on my wall! Dark eyes? Yeah they are, but that just adds to the "attitude". I think that if the facial shadows were softned or the eyes were not shadowed, it would kill the image. A softer face would kill the attitude which make the image work. I love it as is!

Distinctive Images
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Re: There is a time ....
Old 05-27-2004, 01:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

MoonRatt is offline IP: 198.161.35.216

Thanks for the kind words Doug.

I have to say that some of the work on your web page is part of the inspiration for my current lighting experiments. That's part of what I want to get out of the projects I'm approaching with the young women I've started working with. Lighting control. I still get caught by surprise too often for my liking.

Between, learning to really control the light and not have it sneak into places I had no intention of lightng, working on shooting 'themes' and just basic exploration of light, shadows, and forms, I'm hoping to be a busy boy for the next 12 months. Reguardless of what kind of photography I have to do to pay the bills, my personal goal is to achive some, as of yet undefined, level of artistry. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've got several more from this session and one with another girl who I'll be doing some figure study work with fairly soon. I suspect I'll be boring the heck out of people as I start to get a body of work that I'm looking to refine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But hey, that's what I figure this place is for! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 05-27-2004, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38485

photoTexas is offline IP: 66.76.42.118

Man,,,,, That is nice.... I love the lighting... I would like to see some more from this shoot... different expressions... ect.,.. very good job.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoTexas Find More Posts by photoTexas