Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Brand new...give me the brutal truth
Old 05-24-2004, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38950
Comments: 0

ACArmstrong is offline IP: 68.84.95.238

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've been a web/graphic designer my entire life (drawing and painting since before I could write) - I just got into photography in the last 4 months. I shot these Saturday. Could use some good, honest critiqueing in order to learn.

Thanks in advance!

View Public Profile Send a private message to ACArmstrong Visit ACArmstrong's homepage! Find More Posts by ACArmstrong

Re: Brand new...give me the brutal truth
Old 05-25-2004, 06:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 63.84.113.195

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

Actually, guys like you make me wonder WTF I've been doing for the past 3 or so years. If these are your first attempts, then I look forward to seeing what else you do over the next year or so.

Perhaps it helps that you already have an artist's eye. Perhaps you had "beginner's luck". No matter, these are really good. My *only* criticism is that they seem a little "soft", but that could be the monitor or my old eyes.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Old 05-25-2004, 07:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35780

Iain is offline IP: 211.26.66.136

I like the last one, well captured, not sure about the rest.

My personal opinion about ropes and bondage is that if it is not done properly, it looks tacky - it is a very difficult subject to get right. The knots are a bit rough, and the barb wire is like it was lying on the floor and the model tripped over it.

In brief:
I would prefer the wire not to be so loose in Frame 1, it looks like she has just tripped over a coil.

A much tighter crop on frame 2, and not to have the marks on the skin from a previous shot, show it as if it was really painful - which it should be being tied up with barb wire, I would have filed the end round the is against the model, so it doens't hurt, and pull the wire in tighter - make it look like she is restrained

The lighting makes the models nose look deformed in Frame 3

I love the water on the other frames, but the ropes and knots and the other thing (belt?) lets it down.

Still, you have a good eye, and they are a whole lot better than my first atempts.

Iain
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Iain Visit Iain's homepage! Find More Posts by Iain

Old 05-27-2004, 04:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38950

ACArmstrong is offline IP: 68.84.95.238

Thanks for the critique - I appreciate it greatly.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ACArmstrong Visit ACArmstrong's homepage! Find More Posts by ACArmstrong

I like them
Old 05-30-2004, 02:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 66.81.0.10

BTW, how much were you asking for ransom?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 05-31-2004, 03:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 66.129.202.98

Let me preface my thoughts with the fact that I'm not "into" bondage, so maybe I don't really get it. But, I *think* I can see where you're going...And it appears that you're damn near there.

I'll only say what I like and don't like, and I'll do my best to tell you why. As far as the mechanics of it, not sure if I can say much...

1) Love it, with a caveat: I'm not certain how I feel about the hair being so out of focus from the body...After all, it's the same person, right? I might have been tempted to crop more hair out. Also, I disaggree with another poster, to a degree, about the wire marks...I'd like to see MORE impressions, with the same pose, I think it would give a better image of attempting to become untangled.

2) Ok, maybe less marks in that one...LOL...BUT, I dig the one barb pressing in...I'd like to see it with the counterpart barb on the other side pressing in, as well.

3) I still don't understand the frontal lobotomy head crop that seems to be so popular.

4) Holy crap! The droplets! The lace! The rope! The...Seatbelt??? Yowie... The only thing that I'd like to see is more even focus; I mean, the near droplets sharp, if not all of them...

5) I like the nearly glowing look of the rope...I'm not crazy about the marks on her arm in this one, it might be different if it were clearer what caused them...

6) Again, the "glowing" rope as it contrasts with the skin...I love it...

7) N I C E

Hope this helps, for what it's worth...(Like Mr. Ford says, probably worth less than it's costing you...LOL)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott