Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Likes or dislikes?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38106
Comments: 0

Webitmaster is offline IP: 69.3.221.148

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

View Public Profile Send a private message to Webitmaster Visit Webitmaster's homepage! Find More Posts by Webitmaster

Re: Likes or dislikes?
Old 04-21-2004, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 66.68.34.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Okay I cannot resist. Like or dislike what? Your open ended question in a Garage Glamour forum, which I note you have taken the opportunity to criticize some folks on, begs the question what was your purpose?

First of all I personally dislike the cutsey frame. You captured her blue eyes very well but is the image editorial, portrait, whatever because it is not glamour.

I'm confused. The lighting is very good if you want to 'accurately' portray what your subject looks like.

JMO and no one else was giving one so I stepped in.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 04-21-2004, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

The photo will possibly be used on a clients website (a dating site) as an example of the kind of people that can be found through the site, it will also have some photos of men.

Bob
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Webitmaster Visit Webitmaster's homepage! Find More Posts by Webitmaster

Old 04-21-2004, 10:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

I'm a little confused by your statement that I have taken the opportunity to criticize some folks on the forum. What may I ask are you referring to?

"Your open ended question in a Garage Glamour forum, which I note you have taken the opportunity to criticize some folks on, begs the question what was your purpose?"

Bob

Old 04-22-2004, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

The standard here is if you critique someone's work then provide an image of your own to hopefully, but not always, illustrate your point. Until now I don't think I've seen much of your work, just your replies.

Back to the image you posted. If it is for a dating service then the people who view it will probably know her age (I guess they do that - never needed to use one). However, I think it would be better to use more direct lighting so that age lines disappear. You don't need to PS a lot to remove some lines. I don't have an example because I don't post images from my paid shoots unlees the client wants me to, but I shoot a lot of women from 35 to 55 and everyone of them loves the way I make lines go away.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 04-22-2004, 08:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

Member GG#: 36160
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to AGellert

AGellert is offline IP: 65.101.61.209

[ QUOTE ]
The standard here is if you critique someone's work then provide an image of your own to hopefully, but not always, illustrate your point. Until now I don't think I've seen much of your work, just your replies.

Back to the image you posted. If it is for a dating service then the people who view it will probably know her age (I guess they do that - never needed to use one). However, I think it would be better to use more direct lighting so that age lines disappear. You don't need to PS a lot to remove some lines. I don't have an example because I don't post images from my paid shoots unlees the client wants me to, but I shoot a lot of women from 35 to 55 and everyone of them loves the way I make lines go away.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, I think you missed one of his points.. and this is what I dont like about dating sites...

[ QUOTE ]
The photo will possibly be used on a clients website (a dating site) as an example of the kind of people that can be found through the site

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was on a dating site.. I would not want an EXAMPLE, I would rather see the real thing.. the people subscribed to the site.. not a professional model posed to be an example.

but that is just my take, and I dont pay for those sites.

Andrew

View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert

Old 04-22-2004, 08:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

You are probably right Andrew. I have been with the same woman for 37 years so I haven't been in the 'dating world'.

Mike

Old 04-22-2004, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

Member GG#: 36160
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to AGellert

AGellert is offline IP: 65.101.61.209

[ QUOTE ]
You are probably right Andrew. I have been with the same woman for 37 years so I haven't been in the 'dating world'.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I am single, and not dating.. can't find the right woman.. being old, bald and ugly... and then they find out I have a camera.. and they run away faster then you can say digital.

Andrew
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert

Old 04-22-2004, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Mike,

Your comments:
1: "you have taken the opportunity to criticize some folks"
2: "Until now I don't think I've seen much of your work, just your replies"

I have only replied to 1 post, and they asked for an opinion on the photo; I simply stated that the strong shadow on the right arm made it look amputated below the shoulder. I don't think that could be considered that I "criticize some folks".

I think this is just a miscommunication of some kind.

Back to the photo at hand. This is not an actual photo of a person looking for a date. I own a website development and marketing company, we are developing a dating website for a client. We have a photo department with 3 photographers that deal in a wide range of photography, glamour being the smallest part. We are doing some photos only to show as examples of the kind of people that you may find on the site (like the one in question). We want the photos to look real and not over processed. Why did I post the photo? Reading many of the posts has helped to made me more aware of what I am looking at when I analyze a photo and I find it refreshing to have an outside opinion, if it is constructive.

Bob

Old 04-22-2004, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Okay I'm with you know. The image would meet the use you describe very well. Her eyes and her look make the viewer want to know more about her. The miscommunication by the way can be on my end, wouldn't be the first time nor the last. Post more, even though the only person who may reply is me. People run hot and cold here on replies as you may have noted. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Mike