Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Katie
Old 01-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 64585
Comments: 0

jbirdmo is offline IP: 69.179.162.129

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey guys!
It's been a little while since I've posted here, but I haven't really been shooting a lot of glam recently. I few days ago I had the great opportunity to work with Katie, a beautiful person in more ways than one. Anyway, here are a few from the shoot. Let me know what you think!

---Jude

1 main light with 60" black backed umbrella camera right, 1 accent light camera left and behind. f/8 and 1/30 at 100ISO.

View Public Profile Send a private message to jbirdmo Find More Posts by jbirdmo
Last edited by jbirdmo; 01-05-2011 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: Added shooting info and numbers to photos

Re: Katie
Old 01-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 173.20.168.22

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Wow. That is a great, red dress. I would be better if the mask of her face would have been illuminated better. On the third shot, next time it would be nice if you reversed the pose so the light came across her torso and she turned her face the other way.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler

Old 01-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks for stopping by Mark! Once the shoot was all over and done with, I decided that I should have had my main light out in front a little more to reduce the shadows on the face a bit. I'll fix that next time, but it was sure a fun lesson to learn!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jbirdmo Find More Posts by jbirdmo

Old 01-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39818

JohnWalsh is offline IP: 99.132.124.232

1 and 3 are great 2 is a bit static.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JohnWalsh Visit JohnWalsh's homepage! Find More Posts by JohnWalsh

Old 01-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 174.36.199.200

Lovely model and good advice already given. I think a little higher camera angle may have helped these as well.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 01-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks for the thoughts John and Mark.
Posing isn't exactly my best point yet, but I'm working on it. I have another shoot coming up soon if everything works out. I'll hopefully have something to post.

---Jude

Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57135
My Mood:

JUSTA_NEWBIE is offline IP: 76.19.127.36

Thanks for posting,
I like the photos over all.
If i had to change enything about them, I'd like to see the eyes more clearly.

Nice work tho, keep sharing
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JUSTA_NEWBIE Find More Posts by JUSTA_NEWBIE

Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 62509

SaltwaterServr is offline IP: 70.125.138.54

Since I'm on a clothing kick, I have to add this. Her dress does nothing for her chest, it hurts to a degree I feel.

The top draws your eyes to one peak that should be the natural curvature of her breasts, but her actual left breast doesn't seem to fit that same curvature pattern. Something about it just seems "off".

In the second, the shadow on the strap coming down on her left side above her chest throws off the image as well.

Bottomline, it boils down to that dress not fitting her very well up top. The straps from the chest to her shoulders don't do much to flatter her figure, and to be perfectly candid, it looks like she has B cups hiding in a D cup dress.

At second glance, I'm really off by that dress. The lines of it come across her abdomen and drag your eyes towards the clasps at her left side, which really aren't seen in the photo. That might be great for the dress itself, but for the image it detracts. If there was another swath coming down left-to-right, it would create an intersection at the center of her torso, and a focal point of the bare skin above it. As for right now, the dress has one big diagonal line through it that is at odds with the very vertical and horizontal lines in the background.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SaltwaterServr Find More Posts by SaltwaterServr

Old 01-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 71.46.49.251

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterServr View Post
Since I'm on a clothing kick, I have to add this. Her dress does nothing for her chest, it hurts to a degree I feel.

The top draws your eyes to one peak that should be the natural curvature of her breasts, but her actual left breast doesn't seem to fit that same curvature pattern. Something about it just seems "off".

In the second, the shadow on the strap coming down on her left side above her chest throws off the image as well.

Bottomline, it boils down to that dress not fitting her very well up top. The straps from the chest to her shoulders don't do much to flatter her figure, and to be perfectly candid, it looks like she has B cups hiding in a D cup dress.

At second glance, I'm really off by that dress. The lines of it come across her abdomen and drag your eyes towards the clasps at her left side, which really aren't seen in the photo. That might be great for the dress itself, but for the image it detracts. If there was another swath coming down left-to-right, it would create an intersection at the center of her torso, and a focal point of the bare skin above it. As for right now, the dress has one big diagonal line through it that is at odds with the very vertical and horizontal lines in the background.
Very valid observations, but one thing to keep in mind is that often as photographers we don't have control over what these models bring to a shoot, or in the case of commercial shoots, have to work with what the client wants shot. That being said, we still have to make the best of the situation at hand. Often you can improve the look of a clothing article just by cropping a little differently. Or lighting in a different way. Or choosing a pose that flatters the clothing at hand. It's our job to notice these things, but often times we don't because we are mesmerized by the pretty girl in the clothing. Saltwater, you have a very good eye for detail, thanks for your participation here. I look forward to seeing some of your work.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 01-26-2011, 02:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 62509

SaltwaterServr is offline IP: 70.125.138.54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfharper View Post
Very valid observations, but one thing to keep in mind is that often as photographers we don't have control over what these models bring to a shoot, or in the case of commercial shoots, have to work with what the client wants shot. That being said, we still have to make the best of the situation at hand. Often you can improve the look of a clothing article just by cropping a little differently. Or lighting in a different way. Or choosing a pose that flatters the clothing at hand. It's our job to notice these things, but often times we don't because we are mesmerized by the pretty girl in the clothing. Saltwater, you have a very good eye for detail, thanks for your participation here. I look forward to seeing some of your work.
Hopefully I have something to tear apart sooner, than later. I'm just getting started after taking a hiatus from getting started.

I was just getting my feet wet with glamour two years ago when I ran across this phenomenal model who wanted to be in Playboy. Not any experience at all, but everything about her was perfection. Her figure was incredible, flawless skin, stunning green eyes. We had just sat down to work over her first shots to develop a portfolio so I could possibly send her to Rolando for some real photos and to judge if she was going to be able to achieve her dream.

She was killed in a car crash on the night of my birthday.

A few weeks later, another good friend who I helped develop her portfolio was raped.

I put the camera up in the closet and didn't touch it for quite some time.

Dad convinces me to shoot our extended family portrait on his side of the family on my grandmother's birthday which fell right after Mother's Day. My cousin's daughter drowns the night before Mother's Day.

I've shot a few product lines and such, but I'm just now ready to put a model in front of the glass again.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SaltwaterServr Find More Posts by SaltwaterServr