Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Photo Reviews & Critiques Only

Photo Reviews & Critiques Only Constructive & professional critiques only

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Tina the Mechanic
Old 10-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 71.85.110.110

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Natural light on these. No flash, strobe or reflectors used.

View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Re: Tina the Mechanic
Old 10-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 64585
Comments: 0

jbirdmo is offline IP: 166.235.248.26

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Color and lighting look great on these! You did a great job pulling out great tones without added help from reflectors and lights. Since I know that you have far greater skill than I do in posing and lighting I'll refrain from making any comments in that direction. I will add a little comment regarding planning for the shoot though.

Having been under the hood of quite a few cars and trucks in my day, I don't think I've ever seen grease strains get on a person "naturally" the way that they are on the model above. Usually they get there from bumping into grease covered parts, wiping the face with the back of hands and arms and so on. These look to me like they were deliberately applied by finger tips, and had they just been smeared with the back of a hand they would look more authentic to me. I also keep wondering were the grime came from. Engines and cars don't get much cleaner than what shows in the photo.

Now having said all that, I wonder to myself just how many other people would really notice that detail unless they too had the honor of cleaning such grime off of themselves.

So that's my best input on how to improve these photos. I hope it helps.

Here's the rule 10 photo because I know you'll ask for it. Though it makes me laugh putting this photo anywhere close to the ones you have above. I'll honor it though, because it gives everyone else who looks at your photos the perspective needed to put me in the proper experience level.

Great Work!

View Public Profile Send a private message to jbirdmo Find More Posts by jbirdmo

Old 10-28-2010, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirdmo View Post
Color and lighting look great on these! You did a great job pulling out great tones without added help from reflectors and lights. Since I know that you have far greater skill than I do in posing and lighting I'll refrain from making any comments in that direction. I will add a little comment regarding planning for the shoot though.

Having been under the hood of quite a few cars and trucks in my day, I don't think I've ever seen grease strains get on a person "naturally" the way that they are on the model above. Usually they get there from bumping into grease covered parts, wiping the face with the back of hands and arms and so on. These look to me like they were deliberately applied by finger tips, and had they just been smeared with the back of a hand they would look more authentic to me. I also keep wondering were the grime came from. Engines and cars don't get much cleaner than what shows in the photo.

Now having said all that, I wonder to myself just how many other people would really notice that detail unless they too had the honor of cleaning such grime off of themselves.

So that's my best input on how to improve these photos. I hope it helps.

Here's the rule 10 photo because I know you'll ask for it. Though it makes me laugh putting this photo anywhere close to the ones you have above. I'll honor it though, because it gives everyone else who looks at your photos the perspective needed to put me in the proper experience level.

Great Work!
One thing to consider is the thought process here. Are we really going for absolute reality in a photo like this or is it more about fantasy? Because if we are going for reality, Tina would not be in this photo at all, not with cut off shorts, a black bra and blue bikini top that can be seen with a torn wife beater tank top with her breast hanging part way out. We would see a man wearing either a work uniform or jeans or perhaps even a mechanics jump suit who might have some dirt on him considering his hobbie or occupation because he may have just finished pulling out the old engine and replacing it with this new cleaner rebuilt engine. Are the photos really going to be improved if Tina were to roll around on the floor or bump into greasy engine parts so that it looks like it was in fact a dirty engine head or exhaust manifold that got her that way by accident?

Yes Tina really did get into her part by sticking her fingers inside a dirty exhaust pipe and smearing the dirt on her face, arms and chest. That isn't makeup or something fake to look that way just incase anyone else might be wondering about it.

Thanks for stopping by to check them out.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 10-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 64889

Strat is offline IP: 76.114.27.30

Nice C3!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Strat Visit Strat's homepage! Find More Posts by Strat

Old 11-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.168

On the plus side:

Great color and density.
Lovely Model; great model and make (auto).
Depth of Field was handled correctly.

Other pluses:
No yellow caution tape, not sitting on RR tracks.

As far as "reality vs fantasy:

I remember the car washing scene in "Cool Hand Luke", and I never wondered whether it was real or fantasy, I just wondered why no girl I ever saw washing a car looked like that.

Rule 10 image below

Click for larger version
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 12-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43289
Send a message via MSN to ProShotPhoto

ProShotPhoto is offline IP: 174.6.5.158

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTFORMS View Post
One thing to consider is the thought process here. Are we really going for absolute reality in a photo like this or is it more about fantasy? Because if we are going for reality, Tina would not be in this photo at all, not with cut off shorts, a black bra and blue bikini top that can be seen with a torn wife beater tank top with her breast hanging part way out. We would see a man wearing either a work uniform or jeans or perhaps even a mechanics jump suit who might have some dirt on him considering his hobbie or occupation because he may have just finished pulling out the old engine and replacing it with this new cleaner rebuilt engine. Are the photos really going to be improved if Tina were to roll around on the floor or bump into greasy engine parts so that it looks like it was in fact a dirty engine head or exhaust manifold that got her that way by accident?

Yes Tina really did get into her part by sticking her fingers inside a dirty exhaust pipe and smearing the dirt on her face, arms and chest. That isn't makeup or something fake to look that way just incase anyone else might be wondering about it.

Thanks for stopping by to check them out.

I had to laugh because i totally agree with you regarding the reality VS Fanatasy concept. But the object is to create a fanatasy and the colser we can make that fanatasy to reality the better the shot will be received. Like the original poster the first thing that put me off was the exactness or perfection of the grease stains whic looked like an after thought rather than a realisitic part of this the fantasy.

Just as a jet strem in a western movie will be noticed by a few viewers who may be put off the entire movie beause of it - the grease stains may have the same impact.

So my comment is limited to the idea that the photo might have been better without these stains or with more attention beening placed in thier application.

aMuseBook.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ProShotPhoto Visit ProShotPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by ProShotPhoto

Old 12-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProShotPhoto View Post
I had to laugh because i totally agree with you regarding the reality VS Fanatasy concept. But the object is to create a fanatasy and the colser we can make that fanatasy to reality the better the shot will be received. Like the original poster the first thing that put me off was the exactness or perfection of the grease stains whic looked like an after thought rather than a realisitic part of this the fantasy.

Just as a jet strem in a western movie will be noticed by a few viewers who may be put off the entire movie beause of it - the grease stains may have the same impact.

So my comment is limited to the idea that the photo might have been better without these stains or with more attention beening placed in thier application.
I really doubt that grease on a model/mechanic would be concieved in the same notion as a jet stream in a western movie. Jet streams and western movies don't go together, but model/mechanic with grease do. Just as randomly placed grease doesn't need to have exact imprints from an engine head or oil pan applied to the model/mechanic wearing cut off shorts and a bikini top. It just isn't that necessary to make it that real when going for sex appeal. It's not like the grease (actually exhaust dirt) was applied with the use of a tape measure to make anything perfect.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.158

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTFORMS View Post
=========It just isn't that necessary to make it that real when going for sex appeal. It's not like the grease (actually exhaust dirt) was applied with the use of a tape measure to make anything perfect.

Where the heck did all that "grease" come from anyway? Not from that engine.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 12-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenE View Post
Where the heck did all that "grease" come from anyway? Not from that engine.
It came from the exhaust pipe of a truck that was in the garage. It was like a powder which made it easier to clean than grease.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 65806

zakton is offline IP: 118.136.229.56

Wow, the grease really makes the model look more gorgeous!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to zakton Find More Posts by zakton